E Class diesel,

edgeshat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk 350
Ive read on many sites regaurding the age old concern of diesel's. I'm hoping someone can shed some light, So here's my dilema.

I want to change to a E class (hoping 350) diesel, But i only travel about 20 miles a day for work on a faily fast drive (50 / 70) mph, And about once a week do about 40 miles with 70mph driving. So will i be safe with the "DPF" issue, As far as i can understand the Regen takes place after about 30 mins of driving so i should be o'k regaurding that, But it's always better i find asking the people that have the cars in question "rite" !!!

Anyhow, Many thank's for any info.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

You do more miles than I do in my E350cdi so I wouldn’t worry about it and I don’t have any DPF problems. The OM642 V6 diesel warms up very quickly so that helps a lot, unless it’s very cold the engine is fully warm in 4 miles so your commute is about right, if a regen takes place and you stop the engine it will recommence as soon as the engine is up to temperature again. It’s fair to say that MB seem to have designed the DPF system well with few problems listed on here.

Hope you soon find the right car, buy the 265bhp version, early production cars were 231bhp

Ps they do suffer thermostat failure, mine did at 70k miles, if this happens you need to replace ASAP

Last edited:

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have the E350CDI the 265 BHP version, its a great car. The heater is warm by the end of the street.
Retired now so I am doing the odd short journey, when I was working it was 10 miles to my workplace.
Never had any problems at all.

OP
edgeshat

edgeshat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk 350
Many thank's all,,,, hoping to start looking soon, just in time for the summer here,,, lol ;) will keep posted and pics too

weds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class Estate 350cd, Porsche 928 S4
I have the E350CDI the 265 BHP version, its a great car. The heater is warm by the end of the street.
Retired now so I am doing the odd short journey, when I was working it was 10 miles to my workplace.
Never had any problems at all.

I have the same engine but mine seems to take some time to warm up, might have to look at changing the thermostat..

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I have the same engine but mine seems to take some time to warm up, might have to look at changing the thermostat..

I would check but my s211 clearly had an electric heater fitted as was warm by the end of my street...the only car I’ve ever had that was like this...

Other than that the miles are ok for a dpf regen on the longer journey at least... if any lights do come on run that at a lower max gear

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I would check but my s211 clearly had an electric heater fitted as was warm by the end of my street...the only car I’ve ever had that was like this...

Other than that the miles are ok for a dpf regen on the longer journey at least... if any lights do come on run that at a lower max gear

Yes the 211 have a PTC heating element in the dash for warm air. Older cars use a heater booster to heat the engine coolant and they always fail early.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Yes the 211 have a PTC heating element in the dash for warm air.
that's the one thing I really miss in the 212 compared to the 211, I'm deciding if I should search from a pre heater or not, just need part numbers I guess

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
that's the one thing I really miss in the 212 compared to the 211, I'm deciding if I should search from a pre heater or not, just need part numbers I guess
You can fit a webasto. They can be had from about £400 and give instant heat, available from a remote.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Alex, that was the name I was trying to think of, although I'm sure there must be a OEM for the Mercedes kit, thinking second hand on German EBay or similar

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Alex, that was the name I was trying to think of, although I'm sure there must be a OEM for the Mercedes kit, thinking second hand on German EBay or similar

The diesel powered heater boosters that MB fit Oem are webasto as well but they are CAN switched and are turned on/off when the car programs them to. The normal webastos come with a remote and can be programmed with a timer.

MB also offer a timer for their oem version but I don't think it was available in the uk.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The pre 2010 cars had a really useful function where you could leave the heater fan running for an hour after you stopped.
Very useful on a cold night, when you came back to the car it wasn't frosted over.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yup. REST is specific though dependent on engine or grade levels.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
The pre 2010 cars had a really useful function where you could leave the heater fan running for an hour after you stopped.
Very useful on a cold night, when you came back to the car it wasn't frosted over.

I haven't come across that function on my '59 plate E350 CDi, tell me more, please!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Should be a button on heater consol tat says REST Jim, if your car has warmed up and you switch off you can hit tht button and it uses the residual engine heat to warm the cabin, obviously if the car isn't warm before it doesn't work. As Craig mentioned abov though it's not a standard system but tends to come with te bigger engines lie the 350

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Should be a button on heater consol tat says REST Jim, if your car has warmed up and you switch off you can hit tht button and it uses the residual engine heat to warm the cabin, obviously if the car isn't warm before it doesn't work. As Craig mentioned abov though it's not a standard system but tends to come with te bigger engines lie the 350

Mine is the 350, but sadly no”rest” button. Oh well, I’m accustomed to using the scraper while she de-mists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom