E Class diesel,

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Mine is the 350, but sadly no”rest” button. Oh well, I’m accustomed to using the scraper while she de-mists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might be wrong but I think it finished on the 211's.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Mine is the 350, but sadly no”rest” button. Oh well, I’m accustomed to using the scraper while she de-mists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not quite,
it's more designed for when sitting and waiting, Taxi driver style (although they seem to just sit engine runing).
Afte a run there is still approx 20 mins of residual heat in the lump cooling sytem to be drawn into the cab.

I've had it on a couple the 1st being my 2001 220 CDI.
It got used so rarely I would forget it was there when I should have used it.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The ‘rest’ button is for use when the vehicle cooling system is up to temperature and the car is parked up and the occupants want to keep warm while waiting in the car, all that happens is that the switch brings on the air conditioning fan at a medium speed which blows air over the warm heat exchanger and into the cabin, used this quite often works well.

The ‘auxiliary heater’ is a device which pre-warms the engine by circulating pre-heated water through the block, these devices are prone to early failure of the electrical heating element, used mainly in very cold climates

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The ‘rest’ button is for use when the vehicle cooling system is up to temperature and the car is parked up and the occupants want to keep warm while waiting in the car, all that happens is that the switch brings on the air conditioning fan at a medium speed which blows air over the warm heat exchanger and into the cabin, used this quite often works well.

There's also an electric auxiliary pump to circulate water. If you have the rest function and it doesn't work well the auxiliary pump is probably dead.

Another company that does auxiliary heaters (diesel or petrol powered) is eberspacher.

Alternatively there are electric heaters that plug into the mains - just remember to unplug before driving off.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
How about a Chinese webasto copy they are apparently quite good and very cheap.

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
In my trade we use these heaters on canal boats as central heating boilers, so they have a bit of a caning! Also they have to run on red diesel!:)
The ones that stood out are the webasto’s thermo top c
The names that actually make these vapour jet boilers are
Webasto
Eberspacher
Makuni
Planar
And Chinese copy’s of all the above on the bay of evil.
The name that is up and coming is Planar, these are made in Russia, nice and cheap and they are makeing big noises in the camper van scene, also have good back up service.
If you are thinking of fitting any of thses type of heaters, then always make sure your car battery is reasonably new and the alternator is in tip top shape, otherwise you will be regretting it! As they use quite a bit of power when firing up.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Your car had to have the 'Luxury Thermatronic' option to get a 'REST' button, I think. From a 2010 sales brochure:

THERMOTRONIC
(optional). The THERMOTRONIC
luxury automatic climate control system (stan-
dard for V8 models) allows the driver, front pas-
senger and rear passengers each to set the tem-
perature using their own controls. Additional
air outlets in the B-pillars and a booster blower
beneath the centre console ensure the ideal
temperature in the rear. What’s more, the auto-
matic mode can be adapted to meet individual
needs as there are three climate styles to choose

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom