E-Class Estate All-Terrain Edition

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I like - but I would have chosen the Macchiato leather. Brilliant tow car - yes, please.
I’d be careful of suggesting that it would/could be a tow car.....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Tow bar is standard so even the sales person couldn't get that wrong (or could they?????????)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Tow bar is standard so even the sales person couldn't get that wrong (or could they?????????)
No, that never ever happens when looking at towing capability!!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That’s not a tow bar is it sir? OK yes it MAY be, but that doesn’t mean to say we can be held accountable for it’s ability or even approvals to tow, or not, or as may be- possibly. Erm sign this disclaimer please, you’re very welcome, now give me your 60k

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I like - but I would have chosen the Macchiato leather. Brilliant tow car - yes, please.

I've got two young kids (well would be 5 & 8 when i would contemplate a purchase like this) so thought the darker brown leather would hide the dirt more between cleaning.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

Yup, i wouldn't be buying this to tow anything. I might be old(er) but not that old i'd contemplate a caravan! :p

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yup, i wouldn't be buying this to tow anything. I might be old(er) but not that old i'd contemplate a caravan! :p
Only if it was a German caravan, British built ones are shoite!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.

Oi, you middle aged pongo. A tow bar is not just for towing these days.

As your sprogs get older and you get creakier you won't be wanting to lift bicycles onto the roof carrier, hence the tow bar mounted cycle carrier which the discerning MB owner would use, the Thule VeloCompact 973 for 3or4 bikes does the trick, and can be had for £13ish per month on interest free credit to keep your credit rating up, as here:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Thule-9270...MIw8SRlKS32QIV5p3tCh3HtAP0EAQYASABEgLGivD_BwE

As you accumulate all sorts of junk for the holidays, that may even include the great outdoors and camping you can fit a Thule Back Up box and easy base, like this:
http://www.roofracks-roofboxes.co.u...MIzc_jhKW32QIVyrftCh2V_w_bEAQYASABEgLwgfD_BwE

Although by that time you may be too old to tent camp, a which point a caravan may well be a better option, for which the All Terrain is designed for. You'll probably consider an all season insulated unit like wot we have got, especially as you will have 3 bosses to keep happy if you want yer leg over:
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/caravan/31792-sterling-continental-570

In respect of your colour choices. Boring, boring, boring. As my wife would say n***** brown and chocolate. Be bold and go for the Hyacynth Red with Cream interior. The sprogs react to the threat of having hands removed if they mess it up. We had a motorhome that I reupholstered in porcelain leather, that was spotless even with sprog in, at all times also when on holiday for weeks at a time. It's a discipline thing, mark my car, I'll mark your arse.

There is a video of the AT towing a horse box off road somewhere on the net.

Btw the toys in this reply are all in use on my GLE tow bar, and I went bold on the colours, so mtfu :):)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh, and towbar are great when scrotes decide to tailgate...

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Listen up sailor pretending to be a soldier! (basing that off the pongo comment)

I will not ever be seen towing a caravan!!

I have a roof box and can get all my camping needs in the current S212 and roof box so this would be more than adequate.

I’m lucky that my wife doesn’t mind me catching food and using ‘work related methods’ for cooking etc.

I had to acquiesce with the wife and get a tent! I wanted to use my poncho or build A-Frames. But apparently that’s not good for the kids.....

Oh and red leather is for people into S&M or having a mid-life crisis.

I like to be boring. It stops people pestering me. :p

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only if it was a German caravan, British built ones are shoite!

This years Practical Caravan survey, a good guide to the state of things, shows that German caravans have issues as British ones do. Getting worse by all accounts.

However, if you take the VW car production model of reworking down the line up to 3 times (how often are deliveries late, for rework) and accept that a caravan is a thrown together pile of common poor quality parts regardless of country of throwing together those bits and get a good dealer that will put them back together once they fail, you will get a reasonable caravan.

We learned the hard way btw. 25+ faults in a flagship top of the range caravan that went back to be put together properly with working parts. We are now content. Didn't want to throw the towel in and let some unsuspecting punter buy a lemon.

Oi, as you, like me & Carl are later life fathers, a caravan is a great way to have holidays whilst the kids are growing up. Our daughter went tent camping at 6 weeks old, then the MH for 9 years and now the caravan.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I look at my parents, they’ve had a Bailey, a Hymer, a nondescript British thing, a Coachman and now another Hymer. All three British caravans had either serious quality issues (mainly very bad leaks, or failed heating systems) and poor quality of design (windows with 4 locks, silly fiddly wingnut window struts, poor bed layouts etc). The German ones have had some between them three niggles, one being a broken- off battery tray lock, all little things. So from our experience (and those of my parents’ caravan owning friends) ze German ones are by far the highest PQ, most reliable, best laid out and sturdiest. Things like the front storage locker sliding up vertically rather than hinging so your forehead clobbers the lock etc.

Right now we have a mega Vango Airbeam tent, biggest size one can have for a single pitch. It’s a mains powered tent, island kitchen, double bed etc. We haven’t taken both kids out with it yet as sleeping arrangements will be somewhat complex- still figuring out how DCS & I will sleep. Plus, the tent and all kit live in a trailer and I don’t yet have a towbar fitted to the 211... for the same reasons as Keith we will transition to a caravan at some point in the not too distant future. The faff on of getting to destination is pretty much the same as with a trailer, but once there the unloading/ unpacking and comfort levels are far higher.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
(Pulls pin, lobs grenade, stands back and watches...)
Tried a tent - very briefly. Not for me. Wasn't that keen on a caravan either, as a concept. However, having been persuaded to try one, I have to admit it facilitates trips away enjoying the countryside with our dogs. We prefer the smallest, quietest locations too - Certified Locations with no more than 5 units.
Our 350CDI is an effortless towcar with self-levelling at the back. All-round Airmatic would be even better, and some Cross Climate tyres for the grassy pitches. Sorted.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Craig, we used a robust travel cot for the first few years in tent & MH for little un. We could lift the base up to make it like a single bed after removing the sides. Then fitted a hammock in the roof space above our bed.

Our caravan takes on many personas, city apartment when staying at Baltic Wharf in Bristol; country house retreat if at stately homes like Longleat, Blenheim or Chatsworth; beachside residence when near the coast; back to nature on a CL as grayb above.

We have Merlin Annual passes that we use for Alton Towers etc where nearby CL or full fat sites are useful for visits to them.

Perhaps when Carl gets back we should arrange a MB meet somewhere where there is a campsite available and we 'fathers' can guide him to the light ;)

There was a meet at a German car show at Wicksteed Park once that has a camp site.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The tent we have is a good un. If no-one’s seen an Airbeam, rather than the spear- like parts used on other tents these have integrated inner tubes. A stirrup pump attaches and each strut pumps up full in about 20 seconds of vigourous wrist action. The whole tent is up within around 10 mins of unzipping the bag. Big advantage of Airbeams in bad weather is that there are no poles to break, the beams just deform and pop back.

Inside there is an integrated groundsheet and a carpet on top of that. We have an Aquaroll that I have built an electric tap for, that leads to the kitchen sink & drainer; a cooker with 2 hobs & grille; a cupboard/ bin unit; fridge & a 4 seat table. Mains lighting and fan heater. It’s a nice tent in a trendy fetching shade of OG ;)

Bed wise, the one thing we’ve not yet done is found a comfy bed for the grown ups. Kids- one has a child’s inflatable, one has a camping travel cot which has an inflatable mattress.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMG_0853.jpg 265B5241.jpg View attachment 41573 265B5241.jpg IMG_0853.jpg IMG_1012.jpg IMG_1305.jpg IMG_1310.jpg IMG_1512.jpg Just to add fuel to the fire :):)

Blenheim, Xmas, Bike carrier, CL we stayed at to visit Malcolm for his BBQ, Baltic Wharf, Uttoxeter racecourse for Alton Towers.

The awning is an air awning inflated by electric pump connected to car battery.

Attachments

• 265B5241.jpg
    265B5241.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 8
OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
The only thing I find remotely interesting there Keef is the illuminated pole. :p

However I am all up for a weekend in a caravan if Anne Hathaway is coming. Because if you subject me to it otherwise then I will have to subject you to a proper camping trip (10-15km hike carrying everything you need.) :D

Waiting for the laminated green shields to be produced from you both. :p :p

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only thing I find remotely interesting there Keef is the illuminated pole. :p

Aha so you have seen the light!!! ;);) Baiting works ;)

That particular one has a Minion atop and is a 6m fishing pole with affixed 5m LED ribbon, as chosen by my daughter to get into the camping lark :) That was Xmas overlooking the Isle of Wight.

So when are you back in blighty? Seriously, a get together for your homecoming and for everyone would be a good thing as we all have common interest in MB.

The wives can natter about things girlie, if a weekend is made of it.

We drive 100's of miles to go camping :):) easier than that walking lark as you get older ;)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom