E Class Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Austen

Reaction score
Dear All

I have been thinking of buying a new E class Mercedes, but a friend who works as a service engineer for a main dealer has told me that the new E class is getting many electrical problems with the onboard computer returning faults of one thing and another. He is not trashing the car but says that it is too complex for its own good.

Has any body else had these problems please.

Dave
C240 Elegance 1998

E 270 CDI

New Registration
Reaction score
If I would be you I would wait 16th March when oficial pictures of 5-series will be relesed! :D

joe bloggs

Reaction score
Well if you want to go downmarket.......... all our E' s sold have been fine, customers love them, fantastic cars, i have worked for BM, great showroom cars, but what about later when the squeaks and rattles start??.
The E is streets ahead. Spent many a dark night with a 5 series wiring loom spread about the workshop floor looking for the reason why when you lock the car the wipers come on etc

GaryC

Reaction score
From what I heard and experience, BMW always suffer the problem of on-board computer and Engine ECU, that's why u could easily found the fault code reader and ECU programer for BMW in Halford! Beside, I have two E-class, one is the W-124 and other one is a W210, both of them, never have any electrical problem....Mercedes is all u could trust.... :D

Actually, even my old ****** Vauxhall (G-reg!) still working fine and never have any electrinic and Ecu problem.... do u really think the electronic and computer of BMW is really good? :shock:

wagamama

Reaction score
My dad has recently got a new e-class with the sat. navigation (the best bit i reckon) and everything and it's fab! he's only had it for a few months, and he's had no problems with his. with electrical probs etc.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Not heard of electrical problems at all.

Only real fault so far is that some early cars had LH wiper cranks fitted instead of RH cranks. Bang clunk. OOps!

mattsbeamer

Reaction score
I agree that the NEW E-class is beutifal car, i saw a really nice black on the other day, with a sports body kit. If there was no 5-series and i had the cash i would get one [;)]

piestore

Reaction score

Hi

The new E class is a fantasitic car I would recomend the air suspension as an option. There have been one or two problems with electrics but they have only been audio and SRS problems and these have been sorted.

It has probably been one of the most succesful launches of a new car for along time . It has been out a while now and to the best of my knowledge there have been no recalls that is very impresive when you look at the number of toys and new gadgets on this car.

One last comment SBC braking fantastic no other car on the market has this system ( excluding MB SL (230)) or anything even close. you must test drive it !

jarventa

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my E 220 CDI W211 now for 6 months. The only problem has been with the radio. It happened 2 times that it did not come on after starting the engine and then didn't react at all when pushing the power button. The dealer said that this is a software problem and they updated the SW. Now it seems to be fine.

I am very happy with this car. The build quality feels very good. It is also stylish and elegant and the small 220 engine consumes very little, some 5,7 liters / 100 km. It is also powerful enough.

I can recommend the new W211. The dream car could be the E320 CDI. But it was not yet available when I ordered mine...

m saxony

Reaction score
e class aps 50

i have to agree with your friend. the aps 50 system on my 5 month old e 270 cdi "crashes" regularly 5/6 times per week, but never when it is in or near the dealership. great car, shame about the electronics!

mjtray

Reaction score
Mercedes E Class or new BMW 5 series?.........have you seen the pictures of the new 5?

Mercedes must think that they have died and gone to heaven judging by the pictures I have seen of the new 5........pretty it is not!!!!!

I must say, that Chris Bangle, is doing an excellent job of wrecking BMW, what with the 7 Series,new Z4 and now the new 5's styling.

BMW's main board directors must be a bunch of suckers, if Bangle can convince them that this is the way forward.

Oh what a laugh!

Arnie

Reaction score
I agree that the new E seems like a lovely car and despite also being a BMW fan, I reckon that it has nicer styling. As far as dynamics, the new E finally trumped the old (still current) 5-series on most things except steering feel.

The looks of the new model 5-series may not be a great success, being a more subtle version of the 7-series disaster, BUT by all accounts it's regained it lead in dynamics and handling. The E class is still ahead, though, of anyhing else out there.

However, as far as getting a new E-class or even a new 5-Series, as with any new model, it generally takes a year or more before any production problems get fully ironed out. This was also true with the new C-class when it came out. (My colleague had a few problems and numerous recalls on his C320.)

Having said that, most of the electronic gadgets on the E-Class have already been tried and tested somewhat on the S-Class, so hopefully they'll be OK.

With regards to the comments on BMW's problematic Auto gearboxes and electronics, this I believe, was mainly because BMW pioneered this technology ahead of the competition (MB still had 4-speed hydraulic systems) and perhaps before this type of technology was fully hardened.

However, MB of late have lost their conservative approach and are heading full steam ahead with new technology such as the electronic brakes and suspension systems.

So, I would say that the chances of encountering problems are now equally good with either a new E-class or new BMW 5-series.

The new E-class shows a great improvement in perceived build quality with its well-finished touchy-feely interior and well-styled bodywork and is probably the one I would go for. (However, there are now some amazing deals to be had on the retiring model of the 5-Series.)

Bigfella45

Reaction score
Website
www.justnetworks.co.uk
E Class Electrical Problems

I have had my E320CDI Since April and have had numerous electrical problems. SRS Intermittently Fails, Car reports the next service will be a B service (it has only done 2800 miles) The Headlights come on at 6 pm (cant work this out but dark or light they still come on) Wipers sartup for no apparent reason, Every time the engine starts there is a compressor starts up, the dealer does not know what it is. Glove box light stays on.
I know these are all minor problems but they should not happen I have now been waiting over two months to get them attended to.
Mercedes may be good engineers but perhaps they need to look at japanese electronics........

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I have recently been told there are some faulty comfort ECUs. Yours sounds like one of them.

RichardM

Reaction score
Website
www.mbclub.co.uk
Re: E Class Electrical Problems

Bigfella45 said:
I have had my E320CDI Since April and have had numerous electrical problems. SRS Intermittently Fails, Car reports the next service will be a B service (it has only done 2800 miles)

I think thats correct, the first service will be a B service at about 17K miles.

The Headlights come on at 6 pm (cant work this out but dark or light they still come on)
They are sensitive and the lights may come on if the sensor is the shade. I have noticed this too and wonder why they are on sometimes but they are just sensitive. The dealer can adjust them.

Wipers sartup for no apparent reason,
I do get that some times, dry sunny day and the wipers suddenly start. I find it best to leave them off and only swith it to auto when it starts raining. I also found my weren't sensitive enough so the dealer adjusted them, now if anything they are too sensitive!

Every time the engine starts there is a compressor starts up, the dealer does not know what it is.
Are you sure that isn't just the Sensotronic brake pump? If you press the brake pedal several times before starting the engine does it make the noise? That is normal although a few people have been complaining about it.

Glove box light stays on.

Hopefully that will just be a switch.

I know these are all minor problems but they should not happen I have now been waiting over two months to get them attended to.

I've also had the drivers door lock refusing to unlock first go (every morning), a constant rattle from the ash tray, the crome coming off the bumper, stereo cutting out and staying off until the car is left overnight, the cruise control stopping working quite frequently, the SRS warning, one of the door mirrors doesn't unfold. I'm still waiting for some of the things to be sorted out.

Bigfella45

Reaction score
Website
www.justnetworks.co.uk
I cant see the radio/CD in bright light

Why do merc insist on a smoked plastic facia for the radio/CD
You can't see the blessed thing in the sunlight (i mean moderate sunlight)

As mentioned before so far I have been told by my dealer that the compressor is a Exhaust purging system, but he cannot explain why it runs when the engine is running. I have been pulled by the police for having headlights on when the sun is shining thats why I mentioned earlier about the lights coming on at 6 pm. (The dealer says they are not adjustable.) but as there is no indication in the cab that the lights are on.... well what is the point of having automatic lights if yoiu can't use the ... ditto the windscreen wipers.

RichardM

Reaction score
Website
www.mbclub.co.uk
I leave my lights on auto and have no issue with them. I don't see how the police can pull you over, do they stop every Volvo that has its lights on all the time? Mine only come on when the light is dim, they are off during the day unless its dark through clouds. You can tell if the lights are on by looking at the petrol or temperature gauge. You can see if its illuminated.

Did you try pushing the brake pedal with the engine off? Is that the same noise?

Bigfella45

Reaction score
Website
www.justnetworks.co.uk
On Going Lighting Problems

When my lights are on Auto they come on at 6 PM According to Merc this cannot be as they are not tied into the clock but if (after 6 PM they come on) I adjust my clock back to 5 PM they turn off and stay off until the clock hits 6 PM again STRANGE!!!!!!!

steve_bradshawe

Reaction score
Loss of Power Whilst Towing a Caravan With E270CDi auto

I have a the new shape E270CDi auto and tow a caravan. On four occasions whilst towing the vehicle has lost power and gone into emergency mode. My dealer can find no reason for this and is unable to resolve the problem. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

jaston

New Registration
Reaction score
E class electronics

I bought one of the first new style e class 320 saloons over a year ago, and have encountered numerous electronic problems including:
radio/phone works intermittemtly or not at all
wipers come on for no reason
ESR rarely works
battery looses power if not used every single day
so making it difficult to open windows etc
solar panels in roof have never worked
internal lighting stays on for no reason
car has been off road in MB garage for a total of 7 weeks in 13 months.
vwery annoying Maybe they have got better since the first cars.
Would I recommend one, yes still lovely to drive and lovely to look at, but for 40k I expect everything to work.
does anyone else have a similar experience?
:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom