1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle E Class tailgate issue

Discussion in 'Mercedes Car Classifieds' started by goldy, Dec 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Will do.
    Fingers crossed!!

2. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Oiled again with 10/40 oil. Couldn't be sure what the garage gave me and it had issues again. All operating fine again. Hopefully it will last this time.
    Thanks again

3. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

I’ve found fully synthetic oil best, glad you’re having some success with it, mine was just the same as you’re experiencing and works well now with the aforementioned oil

4. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Mechanic in the road has suggested furniture polish sprayed on the hinges and ball joint. May be a future try. Can't see it mixing with oil

5. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Interesting comment by your neighbour but not sure it would help especially as I don’t recommend mixing compounds, I’ve found full synth oils seem more resistant to water which is the main enemy in this case

6. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

There seemed to be a lot of play in the ball joint connecting to the motor but more concerning was the noise. Very clunky like metal on metal. Squirted shed loads of oil in that.
    Often made a banging noise when coming to a stop fully open. That seems to have subsided now.
    May be getting somewhere at last!

7. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Pleased your seeing some improvement at last, a real test of anybody’s patience, I think I’d rate the design 2/10

8. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Think you're being generous with a 2!!

9. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Lol, keep us informed I really do hope you’ve sorted it I know from personal experience how frustrating it can be

10. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

I will keep you informed.
    It's so frustrating, especially when the dealers are messing me about.
    Glad somebody understands the frustration.
    Thanks again for your help.

11. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Well that didn't last long! Failed again. Groaning then stopping after a few inches.
    Losing the will!!

12. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Damn I thought it was sorted!

Four choices now:
    1 - keep oiling it daily for a couple of weeks to see if it improves
    2 - use penetrating oil on the balljoint and hinges for a couple of days and then reapply lubricant
    3 - if 1 & 2 fail have the hinges, balljoint and motor removed for inspection and the tailgate checked for alignment
    4 - write to MBUK and outline events somebody needs to take some responsibility/ownership of the problem.

I’d probably do 4 first and persevere with 1 and 2 until MBUK get back to you, just remind MB about their ‘best or nothing’ slogan, the problems you are experiencing are not acceptable from a premium brand

13. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

MB have accepted the lies from the dealer and sided with them.
    Dealer says all aligned and correct.
    I've oiled again. Letting it soak in now.
    Bizarre thing is after it failed it operated fine for about 10 openings.
    So so frustrating.
    If it was not aligned properly would it not fail every time?

14. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

There is obviously some resistance in either the hinges or balljoint still there. If you can leave it shut for a few days and keep adding oil each day it might allow the lubricant time to work it’s way in, that’s what I do if it refuses to open, which hasn’t happened for 6 months now

15. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

After I oiled it the rain came down. Oil slicks down the driveway. Ridiculous amount of water passes over the hinges and ball joint.
    Emailed CEO.
    Yesterday it was smooth as after oiling. Got to be down to lubrication surely?

16. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

What’s the timeline from the accident to where we are now, who was the insurer and where was the vehicle repaired?

17. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Accident was July 2017. Insurer Aviva for both myself and third party.
    Repair done by Marshall Mercedes Blackpool. Bought from Marshall Preston. Both blame the other for the fault!

Blackpool took apart and put back together in December. Say all good and have put in writing it isn't accident or repair related.

18. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

If the car has full MBSH you stand a better chance of some sort of goodwill from MBUK if the problem persists. What’s puzzling me is why the tailgate functions normally for so many cycles and then stops, as you say there is enough lubrication present to rule that out and it does start to sound more motor related.
    You could try resetting the position of where the tailgate stops by pressing the close button (see the manual for this) to see if that makes a difference.

A lot of modern drive mechs on cars nowadays are fitted with plastic gears so it might be that the motor gearbox has been damaged, either a cracked gear or missing a tooth

This is the motor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES...762578&hash=item3d554387d9:g:JMAAAOSwr6FaHlNz

19. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Motor was replaced about 6 months ago so the dealer says.
    Car has FMBSH and is under extended warranty.
    There's been that many attempts to repair it it's a joke.
    I was hoping they'd missed the simple thing and thought the oiling was working.
    Marshall Mercedes have lied to Merc customer service constantly so they keep closing the complaint.
    They also say all they can do is liase with the dealers, they can't make decisions.
    Ive referred to the motor ombudsman too so I'm waiting for them to contact me.
    Just opened it manually after it stuck and the noise is awful. As if it is dry and resisting.
    Then closed and opened it. Opened perfectly without a murmur.
    It's beyond all logic.

20. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

I’d push for MBUK to send one of their engineers over to look at it as the dealership(s) haven’t been able solve the problem. I’m really surprised that your local MB franchises have washed their hands on this I find it astonishing it’s basic engineering and shouldn’t be that difficult to fix

I think your only option is to keep pestering MBUK, you have a warranty in place so they should fix it, if they can’t they should be offering an exchange vehicle