E200 misfire and power loss

simon_j_chambers

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
W124 E200 TE 3/94

This is my first post so forgive and missing information etc please.

Where to start.. There are two issues, they may be related they may not, but would like advice on where to start.

1. The car on warm restart drives normally and then the power will suddenly die ( like its retarding the ignition, or it can only fire on two cylinders). The fuel pump was replaced recently to try and sort it, but had no effect.

2. I left the ignition on a couple of weeks ago, after going out to close the sunroof and the battery went flat. I recharged the battery by disconnecting the negative terminal and plugging the charger in and lowering the bonnet over the charger to protect it from the rain. Now the car won't idle on starting cold, it starts and then the revs drop and the car stalls. If I keep my foot on the accelerator for 30 seconds it starts idling at 700 rpm, however when its warmed up it revs at 1200 rpm. It also runs like a pig, with mis-fires and stalling.

Where do I start? I have a haynes manual but it covers the older E200 to 93, mine is 94. Are they very different?

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, do check the fuse on top of the OVP relay situated on the bulk head

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Sounds like a coil pack is failing, check the plugs and see if any are heavily sooted.

jib

OP
S

simon_j_chambers

Reaction score
If they are, what do I need to get? Do I simply ask for a coil pack for a W124 (M111) ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On a late 124 the OVP relay controls the idle, at the moment it seems to be running off the main part of the ECU

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
simon

where you based - perhaps someone from here lives close to you and can offer to read the fault codes ?

OP
S

simon_j_chambers

Reaction score
I'm in marlborough.

I have removed and replaced the fuse (which was okay) and she seems to be running better, however the car still needs revving (2k) for about 20-30 seconds in the morning before she will idle. She also stalls sometimes when I stop at a junction. She also suffers some powerloss on warm restart although it all seems a lot more muted after I pulled the OVP fuse.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
is the regenerative valve on the inner wing pulsing OK when the engine is up to temp.

It has MOT on ther top of it.

harneet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes e200 1996
misfires

hi...i am new on this site and does not know much about cars...i have mercedes e200 1996 model.....my car stands in garage for 8month...replaced the battery...and srs light comes on....and in neutral when i push speed padale....its goes alright but at 40000 rpm it misfire continously....please help me out.....thanks

Top Bottom