E280 (2005) estate W211 indicators not cancelling

ptruswell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280D Avantgarde Estate W211
Hello - please could someone advise... Driving up the motorway the other day was more nerve wracking than usual because on a few occasions when indicating to change lane I could not cancel the indicators - moving the stalk central didn't work, worse still quickly moving the stalk to the opposite indicator and back again in the hope that that would fix it just meant that the indicators continued to flash but in the other direction - potentially dangerous!

My guess is that this is fault lies in either the wiring or mechanics of the stalk (or both). The puzzle is that for most of the journey it worked fine, the problem just manifested itself on 3 or 4 occasions, but totally without warning and apparently spasmodic (the worst sort if you want to demo the problem to a technician!).

So has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the cure/outcome? I can already see many pound signs rotating in my eyes so any help advice would be most welcome.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Our cars have a stalk that require a gentle hand, just a light touch in either direction will give three flashes, once its started to flash you cannot stop it, so if you inadvertently activated it, a light touch will change it to the other side.

So if I made a mistake and id not want to do what I had indicated, by changing it to flash on the other side cancels it out in a way .

OP
ptruswell

ptruswell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280D Avantgarde Estate W211
Thanks very much for your response. The indicators check out exactly as you describe so I'm thinking now that the fault was with me, not with the car, ...another classic case of me not reading the manufacturer's instructions! :mrgreen:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks very much for your response. The indicators check out exactly as you describe so I'm thinking now that the fault was with me, not with the car, ...another classic case of me not reading the manufacturer's instructions! :mrgreen:

I did it so many times when I had a mercedes with this feature and ended up 3 flashes one side then the other and so on :D

Top Bottom