E300 Hybrid battery malfunction

tayyab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 hybrid bluetec
Good evening,
First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong place as I am very new to the forum.

To cut things short, I have a Mercedes e300 hybrid bluetec. It's a 63 plate and I've had it for 4 months and 2 months out of those were brilliant. The problems started around 2 months ago. The car was starting to go into some sort of limp mode where it wouldn't come out of the electric mode back into diesel, then after taking it to the Mercedes garage (Blackburn) they ended up sending it back on a recovery truck. I was told there seems to be a gearbox issue, however the car doesn't even start at all now. The dashboard has a light on which says 'battery malfunction'. Any clues as to what the issue may be? The car doesn't hold any charge at all, when I connect jump leads to it the electrics work but as soon as I take them off the electrics stop working. Any help at all would be appreciated as merc are trying to bill me £6000+ for a failed gearbox. They also had the cheek to say to me that 'the car shouldn't have been driving when you brought it in'

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I believe the hybrid battery has something to do with the gearbox or is sited in or near.

I also believe a new hybrid battery costs around £6000.

So long as servicing has been carried out at main dealers I would be expecting a decent contribution from Mercedes.

Did they mean that they were surprised the car was actually going or that you should not be driving it?

If the EML was red as opposed to orange then the car should not be driven.

I had one of these and they are nice drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Right now there are loads of issues with Hybrids and we have seen a few through here. Vacuum pumps, air leaks, AC condenser leaks all cause issues with the Hybrid motors, and yes, they are expensive to sort.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hybrid electric motor is in front of the transmission and linked of course. As Steve says, expensive fellas when they go wrong. Mine was down for months when I had it, gearbox ECU, SAMs, batteries , injectors and all sorts. Real shame. Sounds to me like similar and worse I'm afraid to say.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Neither would I Steve, mine was on a lease as well
I didnt know anyone bought them privately!

OP
T

tayyab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 hybrid bluetec
That's great news lol the issue is that when I actually took the car into the garage, it drove in and there weren't any warning lights on the dash, not even an engine management light. It was just having the issue of sometimes not switching from electric to diesel. It's when the garage actually had the car that the battery malfunction error appeared on the dash. Any ideas on what action to be taken next, as really my car was driving when taken into the garage, ended up being returned on a truck the dealers stated the have done a software update, billed me £550 and then sent the car back with a bigger problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I would be asking for my £550 back and a car that is driveable, error messages occurred AFTER the garage had it so I would expect it to be sorted.

Escalate it to MB UK

OP
T

tayyab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 hybrid bluetec
I've taken the matter further by emailing the complaints team at 'Marshal motors' who own the Mercedes dealership in Blackburn but to no avail, haven't even bothered to respond to me. Another thing, the manager at Blackburn branch who seemed okay at the initial meeting, he's accepted that the fault occurred after the car came into the garage, but still billing me 6k plus for repairs. Any ideas on how to proceed or anyone know of someone who has experience in hybrid repairs?

Update: I have tried replacing the battery as well as the auxiliary battery to no avail, the car electric work just the same malfunction issue.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ Indeed- when it says battery malfunction I am guessing it's the actual hybrid batteries, which is why you changing the normal starter and consumer wont make a difference. If you've only had the car 4 months I'd be assuming they provided it with some form of warranty right?
Solicitor route is looking favourite. Really sorry you're experiencing this service , honestly MB ownership is not supposed to be like that!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Under latest consumer laws I think he still has rights to have the dealer put it right.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Depends if any damage has been done by driving it when the battery malfunction warning light was on....

OP seems to feel that was a cheeky comment by the dealer, but its a fair point well made by the dealer...

OP
T

tayyab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 hybrid bluetec
The car was driving without any warning lights before the battery malfunction issue. The warning lights only appeared AFTER the car had been to the dealers. Once the car was dropped back off to me, that's when the battery malfunction issue wasn't apparent. Since that issue has been there, the cars battery isn't holding any charge and when connected to jump leads only the central electronics work, comes out of gear into neutral and back into park. Doesn't start or move forward at all

OP
T

tayyab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 hybrid bluetec

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
So sorry you are experiencing these issues, mine was leased for 2 years and was problem free on hybrid system just a couple of minor issues and a recall.

If there is any credit against the car then there could be joint liability but I'm no expert.

Trading standards are quite helpful, but as others have intimated a solicitor letter can often motivate a better response.

I did consider purchasing mine at end of lease but the possible costs involved in a Mercedes hybrid put me off, I ended up buying a new S212 E350.

Now Lexus on the other hand really do look after their customers even when way out of warranty.

I hope you have a reasonable outcome from seller to you or Mercedes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
The consumer rights act does give you some coverage legally, however.....

A good friend of mine bought a sports car for £42k cash last year,from a renowned dealer,after 120 miles the engine let go requiring a full rebuild.
The dealer played hard ball saying as a specific warranty on the engine wasn't included,my mate was on his own with it,(£8k rebuild cost).

My friend contacted trading standards and they agreed the dealer had to either repair or refund,the dealer chose to refund,minus fair usuage and costs.....he told my friend that he wouldnt be giving him the full £42k back,but only £36k,which was what the dealer valued the now knackered car at.

The dealer also pointed out my friend could chase him through the courts for the full amount but it may take years to get resolved,which was a valid point.

He eventually had a refund of £36k.

In the 4 weeks and 120 miles my friend did in his car it cost him £6000.

There is the law,but there is also trying to implement it.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom