e300td w210: cat and fuel economy link?

mojo7676

Reaction score
I've posted a few times before - some folk have been very helpful with advice, comments and other avenues to pursue. Here's the long and short: car as above estate. Problem since day one has been terrible (i'm led to believe) fuel economy - in the region of 15-20 mpg (uk gallons) whether local or mway at steady speeds. Changed all filters, oil etc - twice, including prefilter. Also checked brakes, checked underneath for leaks and also changed all poly pipes (which were quietly weeping as opposed to loudly gushing). no diesel sitting in injector wells, no other leaks i can detect and no black smoke. three bottles of diesel redex - one poured neat into fuel filter. Thanks to Parrot's DIY, cleaned the MAF (which didn't look too bad) but still, i've had no improvement on economy since the day i bought the car. no fault codes, nothing comes up when the OBD is scanned, either. Best of all, the car runs sooooooooo good! smooth, quick and not even the trace of a splutter or misfire (so far). However... have noticed a bit of an occasional rattle when idling. I'm suspecting the cat might be shot, or on its way out but as i said before, performance seems great and there's isn't much noise that suggests the cat is falling to pieces - just an occasional sort of rattle. I'll take it to an exhaust place and ask them to check. Question is: can a shot cat section of the exhaust cause severe impact on fuel economy? I've done a trawl but not come up with any hits/matches, btw.

APologies for the long post but details can be important... i guess.
tia

mojo

ScORTED

Reaction score
What sort of economy should this model achieve? a blocked or collapsed cat would create excessive backpressure the car would be down on performance. it doesn't sound like a cat problem .

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom