E320 CDI Auto box not starting off in 1st gear

Aircon Andy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320 cdi Auto
Ive just bought a 2004 E320 cdi auto. Drives lovely smooth and I didn't even notice for a week that it doesnt set off in 1st gear but more like 2nd or 3rd. However if I hit the go pedal hard, it does change down and then goes thru the gears as you woukd expect. Ive never owned a Merc before but Ive had loads of auto's and never seen this before. So what I would like someone in the know to tell me is 1, is this normal. 2, if it isnt normal what can be done about it and 3, if left as is, will it cause any further damage? Would be very grateful for any info. Thanks, Andy

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
You should have a button next to gear shift that says C and S.
It is probably in C (Comfort) mode which selects 2nd gear starts.
Press that button once to change the gearbox to S (Sport) and youll find it will set off in 1st gear.
It should be indicated on the dash which mode you are in.

Last edited:
OP
A

Aircon Andy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320 cdi Auto
Press that button once to change the gearbox to S (Sport) and youll find it will set off in 1st gear.
It should be indiated on the dash which mode you are in.
Thank you for that, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Out of interest, does Sport mode do anything else to the car besides affecting gear changes?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Ive just bought a 2004 E320 cdi auto. ..... it doesnt set off in 1st gear but more like 2nd or 3rd. However if I hit the go pedal hard, it does change down and then goes thru the gears as you woukd expect. Ive never owned a Merc before but Ive had loads of auto's and never seen this before.....

A 60s/70s Rover P5B set off in 2nd gear too ......

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My 500SL starts off in second unless I nail it off the line. The E Class and SL500 will only start in second if its in Winter mode (Comfort mode in later cars).

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
It should be indicated on the dash which mode you are in.

On my last C Class with the 722.6 gearbox, I discovered that the mode selector on the gearbox didn't work and it was stuck in "C". I lifted the gaiter and cover off and discovered the little three pin plug that goes into the back of the switch had come out. I put it back in (a bit of a faff because you have to use long nose pliers) and it all worked fine after that.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Thank you for that, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Out of interest, does Sport mode do anything else to the car besides affecting gear changes?

Whilst "No" is probably correct for your car, on my 2010 E Coupe the S button also changes the steering and suspension settings

PS welcome to the forum!

Paul1948

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI 2003
One other change is that the reverse ratio also changes to be slightly lower, on my S class S mode also gives better fuel economy around town.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Whilst "No" is probably correct for your car, on my 2010 E Coupe the S button also changes the steering and suspension settings

PS welcome to the forum!

But but...we weren't talking about your car, or my car.:cool:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
But but...we weren't talking about your car, or my car.:cool:
But... others following this thread may have different cars as well so the comment was more for their benefit than anything else

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom