E320 Cdi gear does not change to 5th when in 'S' position.

vadeyemo

Reaction score
Hi All,
(1) Could anyone help please. I changed a front wheel last week and found out that when the 'S' button is engaged the gear changes up to the 4th gear and does not progress to the 5th. I noticed this because the at 80Mph, the rev count is 3000 instead of 2500 or under. However, I can use the Tip to move it to the fith gear and I will feel the car nudge forward as normal with increased speed. If I kickdown, the gear changes to 4th as normal ....then stays there and does not change to 5th unless I use the Tip to change it to the 5th gear again.

I don't know if this is to do with the tyre change or not. This does not happen with the 'W' position at all. The gear runs smoothly in the 'W' position without any inhibitions.

(2) When I press the brakes, the brake pedal pulsates. I had the ABS sensor replaced sometime ago. The initial problem actually happened then. I thought since the sensor was replaced, it should have been corrected but the problem with the pulsating brakes remains after a new ABS sensor was changed. The ABS sensor was changed because the part failed, and the Bosch computer diagnosed a fault with it.

(3) I relpaced the Air Mass Sensor some months ago. The guy that did no.2 above actually changed it (I have not been back to him as I don't think he knows what he is doing). Since he replaced the MAF, the car has been nudging and jerking at 1000 revs especially in traffic. This was not happening before the change. The car did not behave like that at first, then it satrted and got progressively worse. This is very annoying but I am very scared of taking my car back there for any reason. No1 above is a new fault.
Nos. 2 and 3 are existing faults. Kindly help please. This car has served me so very well since I bought it 11 months ago and I won't give it up. It's simply a joy machine.

marnix

Reaction score
There was a post about resetting the auto-box but I can't find it anymore.
I think it goes like this.
You push the accelerator to the floor with the ignition off, keep your foot there and turn the key to position 2 (Just before the starter); stay like that for a minute and then turn ignition off while accelerator still on the floor.
release pedal and wait a couple of minutes. when turning ignition back on, the auto-box is reset to factory setting.
As the auto-box adapts to your driving style, it will learn how you drive in "S mode" and should use all the gears accordingly.

If you are successfull with this, please give an answer on the forum as it may be usefull to others.
Thanks

OP
V

vadeyemo

Reaction score
Hi Marnix,
Thanks for your help. I followed your instruction but it still does not work. Any more suggestions from anyone? Many people have viewed but have not commented. Holiday season?:confused:

OP
V

vadeyemo

Reaction score
The problem has been solved. Many will be suprised with the solution.

I changed the tyre back to the regular one and ....presto! the car now changes to the 5th gear. This is just amazing. There must be some kind of sensor in the suspension or wheel that detects if a spare tyre is in use and then limits the gear change in the "S" mode to 4th. - Maybe it has to do with safety.
:smile:

OP
V

vadeyemo

Reaction score
I don't think the spare tyre is a space saver. Not the tiny little tyre. It is the normal rim but non alloy and the tyre size is 215 55 r16 like the other. The only difference is the three wheels were aloys and one (front left) was a spare as described above.
Why the gearbox responded to the difference in wheel, I don't know. To make sure I am dead accurate, I did the test again with exactly the same results. I noticed that I had to use a different type (shorter) of wheet nuts fo the spare.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My full size steel spare wheel has a max speed indication on and I have used it twice. I have never noticed that it didn't go into top gear with it fitted.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom