E320 CDI Glow Plug

mattsurf

Reaction score
The Glow Pllug light on my 1999 E320 CDI goes out, then comes on again for 5 minutes or so - I know that this means that one of the glow plugs has failed, however, aren't the glow plugs just used at start up. The car starts fine, is there any urgency to change the glow plugs.

Fuel consumption is fine, I get 43+ mpg on a run, and I am averaging over 37mpg (It is an estate so I recon that this is about as good as it gets)

Any advise welcome

Matt

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
Hi there,
I would replace them as soon as you can, as one or more plug isnt working it isnt getting hot, therefore any build up of compustion matter doesnt get burnt off as they work.
This is fine until you eventualy come to change them and then its possible to cause damage to you cylinder head as the plug can pull the thread out of the cylinder head due to carbon build up, which leads to a costly repair!

chelle_cj

Reaction score
in cold conditions, glow plugs is used to heat up the combustion chambers in order to help your ignition at cold-start.. before turning over the engine to provide heat to the combustion, the glow plugs is switched. since the other one failed to work, proper replacement with your mercedes glow plug would be a great idea...

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
The Glow Pllug light on my 1999 E320 CDI goes out, then comes on again for 5 minutes or so - I know that this means that one of the glow plugs has failed, however, aren't the glow plugs just used at start up. The car starts fine, is there any urgency to change the glow plugs.

Fuel consumption is fine, I get 43+ mpg on a run, and I am averaging over 37mpg (It is an estate so I recon that this is about as good as it gets)

Any advise welcome

Matt

They also after glow when the engine is started if certain condions are met.

Top Bottom