E320 cdi mpg (om642)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Wind from a different direction,traffic, uphill,weight on board,quality of fuel,tyre pressures etc, there's quite a few things before you start getting technical.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
That's what's on them, I know, the wheels will be refurbished soon! So maybe 40 mpg @ 70 mph is OK? That's 72 on the speedo

Attachments

• IMAG0483.jpg
    IMAG0483.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 17

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I normally manage to average 46 on my run from Newark to Birmingham and back but today I actually got 51, no real difference apart from filling up the last couple of tanks from a place in the A46 called harvest fuel, essentially bio diesel so im going to monitor over a couple more tanks and see if was just a fluke

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
I normally manage to average 46 on my run from Newark to Birmingham and back but today I actually got 51, no real difference apart from filling up the last couple of tanks from a place in the A46 called harvest fuel, essentially bio diesel so im going to monitor over a couple more tanks and see if was just a fluke
Is yours an estate? Mine seems thirsty TBH,

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
Same engine but in a W204 C Class saloon and I'm averaging 36.47mpg over 13k miles (70% A/B Roads, 30% Town driving: not able to use cruise often though)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

don't use this exclusively, it's bad for the engine,

Bio gums up the piston rings and the pistons get too hot and if you keep using they melt all over the bores (with associated drop in power :().
Plus and I don't get why, Bio breaks glow plugs. I guess some how the way it burns set up shockwaves that the modern one can't cope with.

It will seem smoother, till it gives up and it may clean stuff up for a bit hence the current improvement

the gist of the story is run decent stuff from Esso, Shell or BP, the rest is an alleged short tern win... which actually results in no car at the end.... and No I don't have an axe to grind, if you want to prove my point please keep using and report back about how it all went wrong and let us know about your new car. I give it less than 20k miles and or less than 12 months

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
don't use this exclusively, it's bad for the engine,

Bio gums up the piston rings and the pistons get too hot and if you keep using they melt all over the bores (with associated drop in power :().
Plus and I don't get why, Bio breaks glow plugs. I guess some how the way it burns set up shockwaves that the modern one can't cope with.

It will seem smoother, till it gives up and it may clean stuff up for a bit hence the current improvement

the gist of the story is run decent stuff from Esso, Shell or BP, the rest is an alleged short tern win... which actually results in no car at the end.... and No I don't have an axe to grind, if you want to prove my point please keep using and report back about how it all went wrong and let us know about your new car. I give it less than 20k miles and or less than 12 months
Don't worry I've done a little digging and it's not a full fat bio diesel, turns out only about 20% is actually bio so probably not the same issues, that said I do fill up where I can so it tends to split between Shell, texaco and now this harvest fuels,

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Don't worry I've done a little digging and it's not a full fat bio diesel, turns out only about 20% is actually bio so probably not the same issues, that said I do fill up where I can so it tends to split between Shell, texaco and now this harvest fuels,

yes, and that's exactly what did two sets of glow plugs on mate at work's car, stopped using it and 2 years later they haven't gone pop

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
My OM642 improved when I changed the breather pipe from the rocker box to the inlet Y-piece. The diaphragm in the old one had gone hard. It ticked over more smoothly, improved pulling power and if I didn't use the performance added a couple of mpg. The later breather pipes have an improved design - better sealing where it joins the y-pipe. Only takes 5 minutes to swap out.

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
My OM642 improved when I changed the breather pipe from the rocker box to the inlet Y-piece. The diaphragm in the old one had gone hard. It ticked over more smoothly, improved pulling power and if I didn't use the performance added a couple of mpg. The later breather pipes have an improved design - better sealing where it joins the y-pipe. Only takes 5 minutes to swap out.

Interesting...do you happen to know the part number for the later model breather by any chance?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Interesting...do you happen to know the part number for the later model breather by any chance?
Something I'd also be interested in..........

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom