E320CDi vs E280CDi

andy from embsay

Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the fortunate position of choosing a new car (new job) and the firm operates an employee car ownership scheme, which means that the benefit in kind issue raised by engine size isn't an issue (basically I own the car).

I'm looking at an A6 3.0Tdi quattro, or the E-class Avantgarde - but am unsure about how much better (if at all) the 320 is over the 280 - I relaise it's the sam engine tuned differently, but is it worth the extra £45 a month over 3 years it'll cost me?

Thanks guys - (also, whilst I realise this maybe isn't the place to ask - but has anyone driven the A6 3 litre AND the e-class? I've got an A6 2.0Tdi now, but that's cos my current firm has a 'traditional' car scheme).

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The 280 is fast, the 320 ****** fast - is that worth £45 pm to you? Also the insurance will be higher and the economy worse so its a whole package. I have the old 270 and that will play with pretty much anything on the motorway so you'll have more power than you need with either. Looking at the figures, there isn't much that will keep up with a 280 so its whatever you want. The new 280 is similar performance to the old 320 which is highly regarded. I might go for a 280 and perhaps spend the difference on toys to make it feel a bit more special. After all, 60mph in traffic is pretty much the same whether you have 200bhp or 250! Heated vented leather seats, UHI phone, command etc may be worth the loss of a few hp.
They are the same in all other respects.

Last edited:

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
I've driven both the 280 and the 320. The 320 is noticeably quicker. That's the only difference. Depends how much the extra performance is worth to you.

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
Thanks both - insurance not an issue as paid by the company, and don't do huge mileage so economy not an overriding issue - but it does sound like the 280 is nippy enough for most situations - I just want to be confident that if I put my foot down on an a-road it'll "go"!

Hopefully be able to test drive both - the £45 woul pay for some extra toys - looking at DVD sat-nav, parking sensors and an ipod docking thing - which of course saves on needing a CD changer!

blassberg

Reaction score
agree with above. If 280 performance is good enough then enjoy it.

What's the £ difference between the A6 and the 280 / 320?

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
A6 3.0 quattro auto is exatly the same on 3 years as the 320CDi, but £40 a month more over 2 years. 280CDi is £40 less over 2 years than the A6 and the 320Cdi are over 3 years, and another £6 leass again over 3 years (if that makes sense!).

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
Our A6 quattro TDi Sport 6sp man is a good drive. It compares very favourably with my pure sports cars on roadholding and is a comfortable motorway cruiser. It is also very, very quick. My son has the older A4 2.8 quattro petrol man and he is used to performance toys. (professionally).
My E220 coupe auto is a 124 and different from current models, but is a comfortable cruiser.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
You can't go wrong which ever way you jump.
For comparison the spec reads:

Pre V6 diesel CDi engines
E270 CDi 5 cylinder in-line engine, max torque 370 (Nm). Quick!
E320 CDi 6 cylinder in-line engine, max torque 470 (Nm). Very Quick!

The slightly later in-line 6 CDi engine (211 spec) was slightly uprated before the V6 engines were introduced probably to help cope with the EU3 regs. I very much doubt there was any performance gain due to the intro of EU3 particulate filters etc.

E280 CDi V6 engine, max torque 440 (Nm). Almost comparable to the old E320CDi IL6 engine. Very lively!
E320 CDi V6 engine, max torque 510 (Nm). Almost comparable to the E55 V8 petrol at 530 (Nm). Extremely quick!

If you were to look any deeper into it you'd have to consider the kerbweight of each car but whoes bothered they are all good performers. One other interesting point is that the fuel consumption figures for the V6 cars are almost identical, unless you start to really use your right foot, lol.

Last edited:
OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
That's brilliant, malcolm - thanks.

In the end I've asked for quotes for the 280CDi and the Audi 3 litre quattro - although having had a quick drive in my mates 2 year old 320CDi (so assume straight 6) today, I suspect I'll end up with the merc, basically because (a) I've not had one before and (b) for £45 a month less than the Audi over 3 years I can have the merc for only 2 years (so get to choose again!!).

From everything I've read it seems the new 320 is scarily quick, but the 280 with the new 7 speed auto will do everything I'm likely to want.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Things to go for.....I am not sure what is standard/option.

Leather, but make sure you have heated seats.
Vented/comfort contour seats.
Memory seats/steering wheel adjustment.
Probably sat nav/comand. I did not get it because we were not mapped in Ireland at the time.
Auto dipping mirrors.
Stay with 16" alloys for comfort.
If fuel tank choice go for 80 rather than 70 litre.
If you need to be towing get the removable tow bar and prewiring.
Cruise should be standard, if not make sure to get it.
Go for climate control rather than air con.

The new 280 is much same as earlier 320cdi so should be adequate. The new 320cdi is much same as straight 320cdi with chip which is awesome.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I know this is the wrong thread but this morning I followed a Y reg C220CDI
for 15 miles this morning and did that thing go, Hard to believe that I was following a deisel.

Malcolm

Nobs&Dials

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
09 ML320CDI, 61 CLS350CDI, 08 Porsche 911
Andy,

You might want to consider a C320CDI, which is a bit cheaper than the E Class, but is lighter and therefore should be even faster. Mines averaging 37mpg since new (2 months) and it goes like a rocket when required.:p

Paul

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom