E350 CDI Mods? new here

Kabg40

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 cdi sport 2011
Hi all

been an interested reader here for a while without contributing so far....

I bought a 61 plate black E350 (W212 265) just over two years ago and I have to say it's been great. First merc I've owned and I don't think I'd want anything else now.

Plans for a newer MB have been replaced by the arrival of my first little lad about 6 weeks ago so I decided I would mod my car a little bit to try and freshen it up and minimise the cravings for something new. Few things I've been considering but would welcome other peoples opinion on what might be nice to do?

New Grille - Painted black with embedded official chrome MB logo (got this and fitted it at the weekend and it's really good - looks much sportier than the standard chrome one)
ECU and gearbox re-map - seen all the chat about GAD tuning and spoke to them too. would be about £470 if I recall correctly. Anyone had this done and do I need to check where my car is serviced about this?
Boot lip spoiler - ordered a painted ABS one online. yet to see what the quality is like but can post once it arrives.
Front splitter and rear diffuser - seen some I like however costs seem to differ vastly. anyone got experience with these?
20" wheels - would love some really however cost will probably prohibit this with nappies and milk on the agenda. seen the link to all the wheels that will fit, but would I need to consider lowering it too?

Any suggestions, opinions would be most welcome
Cheers
Kris

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bigger wheels plus lower profile tyres plus lowering = a nasty harsh ride in most cases.
If you must go bigger on the wheels then personally I wouldn't lower it.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
ECU and gearbox re-map - seen all the chat about GAD tuning and spoke to them too. would be about £470 if I recall correctly. Anyone had this done and do I need to check where my car is serviced about this?

Mine was mapped by GAD and the difference is incredible, in gear it is staggeringly fast for a 3.0l D, highly recommended and pretty undetectable.

Makes a fast car a VERY fast car

Last edited:
OP
K

Kabg40

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 cdi sport 2011
Mine was mapped by GAD and the difference is incredible, in gear it is staggeringly fast for a 3.0l D, highly recommended and pretty undetectable.

Makes a fast car a VERY fast car

Read this sort of thing a lot so their reputation is clearly good. What about when it comes to servicing at a dealership? Can the re-map be overwritten?

Also here is my new grille I mentioned. What do you think? Think I may get a flat bonnet badge too

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 192

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Double star is a definite no no, the black surround is a nice touch, not something I'd have though about but suits the car.

For your location I'd also say GAD for a remap.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yeah flat bonnet badge with that radiator grill star

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Read this sort of thing a lot so their reputation is clearly good. What about when it comes to servicing at a dealership? Can the re-map be overwritten?

Not detectable and there would be no reason for a dealership to "flash" your ECU.

I use an indy and he had no idea when plugged into STAR it had been mapped

Also here is my new grille I mentioned. What do you think? Think I may get a flat bonnet badge too

Needs a flat bonnet badge, I am not a fan of the "double star"

OP
K

Kabg40

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 cdi sport 2011
Not detectable and there would be no reason for a dealership to "flash" your ECU.

I use an indy and he had no idea when plugged into STAR it had been mapped

Needs a flat bonnet badge, I am not a fan of the "double star"

Great thanks for all the comments everyone. I'm going to have to book myself a trip to GAD then
I've also ordered a flat bonnet badge. Was a nightmare trying to find a 44mm one but found one on eBay that you tighten into position under the bonnet with a nut and bolt type assembly. Wasn't expensive so I'm not sure what quality it will be like. Seems I can't find an official MB one in this size unless anyone knows better?
The boot lip spoiler should be arriving today so I'll be able to let people know whether that was worth the £££
Cheers
Kris

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Will be specifically interested to hear now the boot lip spoiler goes, Kris as I'm thinking of getting one myself. Does it come with the VHB tape and stuff you need to fit it?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will be specifically interested to hear now the boot lip spoiler goes, Kris as I'm thinking of getting one myself. Does it come with the VHB tape and stuff you need to fit it?

You will have to de-badge to balance the weight out incase you loose performance ;-)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Um. A gentleman must never double badge. One loses all gravitas.

I like the new grille by the way.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You will have to de-badge to balance the weight out incase you loose performance ;-)

Good point Jon....you'll be pleased to know however that the Wurth plate surrounds are on now!

OP
K

Kabg40

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 cdi sport 2011
Um. A gentleman must never double badge. One loses all gravitas.

I like the new grille by the way.

I'm happy to be educated on the badge faux pas. I will fit the flat bonnet badge the moment it arrives. I can then at least create the illusion of a gentleman :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will fit the flat bonnet badge the moment it arrives. I can then at least create the illusion of a gentleman :)

There's a good chap ;-)

OP
K

Kabg40

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 cdi sport 2011

Here you go John, I've just fitted it now. It came with thin 3M double sided tape so I placed two long strips on and must have at least quadruple checked where I was placing it so it was smack bang centre ;)
Paint colour match seems spot on. I just need to get used to seeing it there.... not sure I like it yet. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_7841.JPG
    IMG_7841.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 169

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Here you go John, I've just fitted it now. It came with thin 3M double sided tape so I placed two long strips on and must have at least quadruple checked where I was placing it so it was smack bang centre ;)
Paint colour match seems spot on. I just need to get used to seeing it there.... not sure I like it yet. What do you think?

I'm liking it Kris, its subtle and not in your face at all. Does it feel secure?
What is making you doubt it?
Got a link for where you got it at all?

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Nice :cool:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)

I like it too - tempting me to get one for mine:D

Top Bottom