E350 Oil Coolant

DaveCorbett77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
Hi,
Thanks for adding me to the group.I have a 2010 E350 and the oil coolant is leaking.My indy (he services our SL500) didn’t want to get involved.
I’ve always had the Eclass services at MB but it’s not in warranty now.They are quoting 20 ish hours labour at £3K.I nearly fell over.Please tell me this is wildly exaggerated and then I can have another conversation with MB.
My other question is I gather a TSB was issued as it’s a known problem of the old orange deals on bluetec. Would this at least give me some leverage on the pricing for the work?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Dave :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Dave
Not a good start really. Presume you bought this car from MB then?, and that’s why you’ve had it serviced there?
Surprised your Indy won’t tackle it, if he services your SL500 he will have seen worse jobs I’m guessing?
The seals are a pain indeed- tiny low cost part(s) and huge labour costs due to location. Ask @JBell on here as he has his C350 seals done. 20 hours? Not sure on that. Any leverage on a 2010 car? Doubt it to be honest.
My advice would be to seek the services of another Indy for your E Class - MB Labour costs are biblically high (£145 ish an hour), so if you can half that you’ll see why the 3k quote for 20 hours from them...Indy could be 1.5k at a guess or less...(if it is less than 20 hours)
Where are you located? I’m sure we can recommend an indy

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi,
Thanks for adding me to the group.I have a 2010 E350 and the oil coolant is leaking.My indy (he services our SL500) didn’t want to get involved.
I’ve always had the Eclass services at MB but it’s not in warranty now.They are quoting 20 ish hours labour at £3K.I nearly fell over.Please tell me this is wildly exaggerated and then I can have another conversation with MB.
My other question is I gather a TSB was issued as it’s a known problem of the old orange deals on bluetec. Would this at least give me some leverage on the pricing for the work?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Dave :)
If it's oil cooler seals leaking , it's an 8-10 hour job according to my reading . Plenty of indys are doing this regularly . Where do you live so someone can recommend an Indy nearby (hopefully)

OP
D

DaveCorbett77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
If it's oil cooler seals leaking , it's an 8-10 hour job according to my reading . Plenty of indys are doing this regularly . Where do you live so someone can recommend an Indy nearby (hopefully)

I'm near Guildford, Surrey. Thanks, what a helpful bunch you all are! It's almost taking the pain away from this repair bill :)

OP
D

DaveCorbett77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
I'm near Guildford, Surrey. Thanks, what a helpful bunch you all are! It's almost taking the pain away from this repair bill :)
Welcome Dave
Not a good start really. Presume you bought this car from MB then?, and that’s why you’ve had it serviced there?
Surprised your Indy won’t tackle it, if he services your SL500 he will have seen worse jobs I’m guessing?
The seals are a pain indeed- tiny low cost part(s) and huge labour costs due to location. Ask @JBell on here as he has his C350 seals done. 20 hours? Not sure on that. Any leverage on a 2010 car? Doubt it to be honest.
My advice would be to seek the services of another Indy for your E Class - MB Labour costs are biblically high (£145 ish an hour), so if you can half that you’ll see why the 3k quote for 20 hours from them...Indy could be 1.5k at a guess or less...(if it is less than 20 hours)
Where are you located? I’m sure we can recommend an indy

Yes bought this car (5 years old) from MB and yes, had it religiously serviced there. I think another indy is the way to go, I'm near Guildford, Surrey. Thanks again

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
MBS Southampton , or Star Mercedes in Reading . Both very respected Indys on this site .
I'm sure other members will add more . As with all these things , travelling to see a professional will save money and get the job done properly because they know all the "tricks" with these older cars

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It is a big job in labour terms probably 10-12 hours plus gaskets and seals for all the induction/exhaust apparatus sat in the vee above the oil cooler, MBs quote may include a new oil cooler. Labour will be half the rate of the main dealer at an independent

There are a lot of videos on Utube just search for OM642 oil cooler leak

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Ask @JBell on here as he has his C350 seals done. 20 hours? Not sure on that. Any leverage on a 2010 car? Doubt it to be honest.

6-8 hours including replacing all the seals on the intercooler and turbo

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As Wighty, Star in Caversham is about 22-23 miles from you and worth the trip. You’ve seen the estimates above too, 10 hours seems average , certainly no where near the 20 hours MB quote!
You’re probably looking at an estimate less than 1k on that basis, but Ian at Star will be far more accurate !
0118 9462750...

OP
D

DaveCorbett77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
MBS Southampton , or Star Mercedes in Reading . Both very respected Indys on this site .
I'm sure other members will add more . As with all these things , travelling to see a professional will save money and get the job done properly because they know all the "tricks" with these older cars
It’s booked into Star, Caversham, under £1k so pleased with that.Tgank you for the recommendation

OP
D

DaveCorbett77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
As Wighty, Star in Caversham is about 22-23 miles from you and worth the trip. You’ve seen the estimates above too, 10 hours seems average , certainly no where near the 20 hours MB quote!
You’re probably looking at an estimate less than 1k on that basis, but Ian at Star will be far more accurate !
0118 9462750...
Thanks John, all booked in with Star

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ian has good experience with ABC components

I was at my indy last night and he has a Fire Opal Red SL500 on the ramp with no rear axle in as the ABC pipes are shot, struts are OK though

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I was at my indy last night and he has a Fire Opal Red SL500 on the ramp with no rear axle in as the ABC pipes are shot, struts are OK though
Fire Opal Red AND ABC- on one car! How did I miss buying that one? :oops:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fire Opal Red AND ABC- on one car! How did I miss buying that one? :oops:

It looks stunning on the top (cream leather) but underneath it is a mess, he is replacing all the ABC pipes due to corrosion. The rear axle is on a bench on the other side of the workshop, looks terrible. Was bought from a garage with a fairly terrible rep, they buy all the trade in cars MB want rid of.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Not barging in on this thread ( or maybe I am.. ??? ) But I have read here, and in other forums, that if you were to run a competition as to which MB engine is the best, the absolute very best, that the OM642 would win it hands down? Any comments on this?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not barging in on this thread ( or maybe I am.. ??? ) But I have read here, and in other forums, that if you were to run a competition as to which MB engine is the best, the absolute very best, that the OM642 would win it hands down? Any comments on this?
Not much better than the M119 or M112/M113 series. Neither is known for particularly nasty issues and neither has huge labour charges for a £5 part replacement.
Aside from CPS issues how often do we see a problem with the M112/M113?
We never hear about post 1994 M119s at all!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom