E63 amg biturbo 2015 front brake discs?

andrewmorpeth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 Amg estate w212
Hi i can get the rear discs for £120 each from eurocarparts but not the front?Can anyone explain to me why Mercedes think they are worth £850 a pair and what other options are there?There are some kits using ap racing rotors with custom bells for £1100?Anybody tried those?Thanks in advance.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Not used the kits first off. Mercedes think they are worth that much because you are not stopping a E220 CDI, but a 5.5 biturbo version of the same heavy car. Braking force needed is completely different.

To be honest with you £850 is quite a good price. There are other dealers that are charging more for the same thing as well.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ as above- and yes that is quite a good price, MB Grangemouth are £833/pair and IMO they've the best OE MB prices around (170 each for the rears)
Haven't tried the AP ones, I'm happy enough with the originals

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have never owned AGM version, one day ;)

OP
A

andrewmorpeth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 Amg estate w212
  • Banned
Not used the kits first off. Mercedes think they are worth that much because you are not stopping a E220 CDI, but a 5.5 biturbo version of the same heavy car. Braking force needed is completely different.

To be honest with you £850 is quite a good price. There are other dealers that are charging more for the same thing as well.
They are still just a round metal disc made of steel?So if they are only slightly larger than the rear and the rear ones are £170 why charge £850 exactly five times the price?

OP
A

andrewmorpeth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 Amg estate w212
  • Banned
I also think my company delivery van which is a peugeot partner 1560cc hdi 2016 has better brakes than my e63 amg biturbo 5.5 litre and the discs on that will be about £30 each to replace.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I also think my company delivery van which is a peugeot partner 1560cc hdi 2016 has better brakes than my e63 amg biturbo 5.5 litre and the discs on that will be about £30 each to replace.

id be very suprised if the discs are that cheap even for the little Partner van which weighs not much more loaded to the max as the E class does empty. and yes the brakes 'feel' better as you are comparing it against the performance abilities of the vehicle. the E63 biturbo, IIRC would, if fully de-limited, be good for around 200mph! from memory the 'drivers pack' LIFTS the limiter from 155 to something like 186MPH! now your cheapo van discs would just overheat and probably warp or even SHATTER with those kinds of forces as the car probably weighs close to 2 tonnes!

We have Iveco Daily vans at work. front discs for those are nearly £100 each at TRADE price!!!!!!! and our firm gets more discount than many from our suppliers! and they dont have anything LIKE the potential to hit 200mph!

plus, i could be wrong but dont these cars have the fancy carbon ceramic discs/pads???

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Well I am not going to argue on this one. You have bought the high performance version of the e class and are expecting to replace parts for peanuts. Sorry for being blunt, but it will not happen. I believe the discs may even be a two piece disc, which will explain the cost. As for the stopping, now what you said is just stupid. If you need to do an emergency stop you will think otherwise about the brakes. Mercedes use brake assist which only puts what pressure it decides is needed in the given situation, but I will not entertain this one either. If you want to find out more about how your car works then do some reading online.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
MB dont make discs so their supplier will likely have a no aftermarket resale policy until a certain age. All part of the supply and demand cost, E63's although popular, aren't mass production. Its a way of keeping development costs to a minimum.

Same thing happened on the W171 SLK55 AMG.

You could try Zimmermann discs, not sure if they are replicating right now, but otherwise it will be MB.

Performance cars come at a cost, SLRs are £12k per disc, yours are chicken feed in comparison.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Pete- no the 'standard' discs and pads are not ceramic, you can of course go that route. Performance pack/S versions have ceramics as standard.
Mine has standard, and good they are too (just fitting new MB pads today), bit dusty is all I'd say compared with the EBC Red stuff I had on the SL
OP- I have to mirror the comments of Mr Filipov- I for one didnt buy an E63 with 557 horse highly tuned engine expecting to stop it with cheapo brake components
I hear what you're saying driving day to day you might get away with that, driving it like a Peugot partner.
However if that's what you want to do, buy a Peugot partner and enjoy it and small bills
As Steve says above, be grateful theyre not ceramics (MB Ceramics prefixed with 'P'), those for the 63 will cost you 4-5k all in...
Performance cars do indeed come at a cost

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Have a word with Alex Foti. He was trying to get a local engineering firm to turn him a set up for ~£200 a corner for the fronts, on his S65.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I am glad I was sitting down when I read that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My local indy had a piddling Maserati in t'other week with full ceramics , 16k...nice!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom