E63 AMG on the dyno

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Yes and No, whilst the cars limit the power in the lower gears, dyno runs tend to be run in 3rd or 4th. This platform will show higher numbers in 4th, but the cars will be faster overall, due to higher power up high. Its just the limitation of torque that means real world numbers don't match up with the dyno figures.

As the torque managment, especially of the 4WD AMG's which we have only just started getting, meaning hard launches etc are difficult. This costs big times on the 1/4 mile and it all adds up.

Long story short, I'm sure the car still drives like a 700+ bhp car up top in the rev range and in higher gears, but 1-2-3 probably are less dramatic.
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yip get that
I did 3 x timed runs (super scientific colleague with an iPhone timer) 0-60 on the industrial estate I’m on (private) and averaged 3.4s after MSLs stage 1 remap
All very good until I remembered I hadn’t done the same before the remap to compare- doh! So maybe it was the same or less before even. Paper figure iirc is 3.6 or 3.7
That said it was just a bit of fun, the higher gear and kick down mid range is what I like to feel rather than a ‘race off the lights’
Finding somewhere to do the quarter mile run isn’t too easy either probably :)
I suppose at these times taking 1/10th second requires some impressive power figures, and from the standard still a good gain. And you're helped by the all wheel drive and MCT gearbox. Looks like you've got supercar performance in a saloon car. I'm with you, not so much about "off the lights" but rather using the kick down at mid range speeds. You need to get to the Autobahn with a dashcam!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I suppose at these times taking 1/10th second requires some impressive power figures, and from the standard still a good gain. And you're helped by the all wheel drive and MCT gearbox. Looks like you've got supercar performance in a saloon car. I'm with you, not so much about "off the lights" but rather using the kick down at mid range speeds. You need to get to the Autobahn with a dashcam!
And I don’t have all wheel drive by the way, that’s on the 213s like Daveenty’s....pure rear wheel - he tells me the power goes down even better in that which I can imagine

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And I don’t have all wheel drive by the way, that’s on the 213s like Daveenty’s....pure rear wheel - he tells me the power goes down even better in that which I can imagine
Ah sorry. I bet you have some fun in the wet?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah sorry. I bet you have some fun in the wet?
Haha yip...I can accelerate and I can change direction but not necessarily at the same time. The 213s have drift mode on demand which takes the awd and tc off as I understand - I get that as standard with no charge!

Cyclone1

Reaction score
A lot of these put down big numbers but always in 4th gear plus. They still haven;t cracked tq limiters in the 7g MCT box (well over here or in the US at least, I think GAD germany have).

As a result, they put but numbers down on the dyno, but their 1/4 mile times don't match up with the power they are making, due to torque limiting on lower gears.

Very impressive numbers, but not sure I would want to give away that low rpm torque shove and shift it 2k rpm higher.
Not exactly true.

The reason the cars don’t put down great 1/4 mile times is because they simply cannot get good traction through the rear wheels. 570-600lb/ft is difficult enough, but when you try and put 800+lb/ft you have no chance. You just have to accept that from a standing start it’ll be no quicker off the line than a standard model.

You wouldn’t necessarily want that much more torque,than where the torque limiters operate in 2nd and 3rd, simply for traction alone.

On my car we’ve spent time capping the torque to aid drivability. I “could” have had say 950lb/ft at 3k rpm but firstly it would be undriveable and secondly it will break the gearbox sooner. But instead we went for progressive and smooth delivery. At low low rpm it is still above standard figures! But then climbs smoothly to silly figures where it’s needed. With around 910bhp and 970lb/ft it still drives great around town when pootling around. Plus there is certainly no low rpm torque shove missing....

Jules

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Not exactly true.

The reason the cars don’t put down great 1/4 mile times is because they simply cannot get good traction through the rear wheels. 570-600lb/ft is difficult enough, but when you try and put 800+lb/ft you have no chance. You just have to accept that from a standing start it’ll be no quicker off the line than a standard model.

You wouldn’t necessarily want that much more torque,than where the torque limiters operate in 2nd and 3rd, simply for traction alone.

On my car we’ve spent time capping the torque to aid drivability. I “could” have had say 950lb/ft at 3k rpm but firstly it would be undriveable and secondly it will break the gearbox sooner. But instead we went for progressive and smooth delivery. At low low rpm it is still above standard figures! But then climbs smoothly to silly figures where it’s needed. With around 910bhp and 970lb/ft it still drives great around town when pootling around. Plus there is certainly no low rpm torque shove missing....

Jules

Each to their own. Over in the US where they do more drag racing (and have 4matic 63's), a few friends are not getting the high trap speeds (which wheel spin does not affect that much) and low times that the dyno graphs suggest they should be.

Tuners over there, and in Dubai that I have spoken with (and spent money with), whilst keeping their cards close to their chest, confirm the issues. Their 60ft times also don't correlate well, a lot being in the high 1.9-2.0's.

I am not saying that are not very fast, and that your car is not impressive.

I am just saying that dyno numbers + 1/4 times don't tell the whole story vs real world driving.

Cyclone1

Reaction score
Each to their own. Over in the US where they do more drag racing (and have 4matic 63's), a few friends are not getting the high trap speeds (which wheel spin does not affect that much) and low times that the dyno graphs suggest they should be.

Tuners over there, and in Dubai that I have spoken with (and spent money with), whilst keeping their cards close to their chest, confirm the issues. Their 60ft times also don't correlate well, a lot being in the high 1.9-2.0's.

I am not saying that are not very fast, and that your car is not impressive.

I am just saying that dyno numbers + 1/4 times don't tell the whole story vs real world driving.
Yes you could be right. Like I’ve said rwd AMG’s are far from 0-60 or 1/4 mile cars. At a recent VMax event I gently launched my car with around 900bhp and 1900kgs, so my 0-60, 1/4 etc were slow compared to most cars there, but by the time I hit the final speed trap I’d climbed past nearly every car there. Out of 61 cars only 5 were above, 2 of them with 2600bhp and 2000bhp respectively, one with 1200bhp, a McLaren 720s (weigh only 1280kg) which had a 4mph higher speed and another Merc with approx the same speed. I think that 900bhp is about right regardless of 1/4 mile times.

Jules

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom