ebay is so annoying

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We have decided to sell one of our classic cars as we don't really have enough space in the garage for both of them, so the MG is going.
Not sure why Keith decided to use ebay when there are other sites, but he's gone and put it on there all the same.
Today someone messaged him and wanted to come down tomorrow to have a look at the car, quite a reasonable request I think. I wouldn't want to part with a large amount of money without seeing what I was getting. However ebay won't allow you to give your phone number, email address or any contact details for fear of you doing a deal outside of them.
If we give this person our details ebay will assume the car has been sold and charge a fee, even if the person doesn't buy the car which is plain crazy. Surely if the car isn't sold and remains listed as for sale then it means the person didn't buy the car? I don't get why they are so unreasonable. I also don't get why Keith put the car on there in the first place, but that's men for you :cool:

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
It does seem strange, is this something new?

I sold a couple of items on eBay and sold the item but gave the buyer my details and agreed he would pay cash on collection.

I can understand eBay want their cut having accepted the advert but as you say it’s reasonable for buyers to want to view the car first.

Robin

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes, the recently introduced this.

Its stupid, especially considering the car sale scenario.

Listing as "classified ad" avoids this, but you then get £15 listing fee.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I just went on and looked at a car...the chap's phone number was in the description.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
One can get a warning, then a week's ban for exchanging phone numbers.
Which means you can't view an item that's local.
Sucks...

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I just went on and looked at a car...the chap's phone number was in the description.

From the ebay site
  • Listing contact information (including home page web addresses that promote websites outside of eBay) in the title, subtitle, item location, or images is only allowed when the item for sale is a domain name.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I advertised my CLK on Ebay and quite frankly wish I'd never bothered. I've had every idiot under the sun promise me they wanted to buy it but then never even put a bid in. The winning bidder, who had a very low bid, did not even turn up to collect the car or pay for it, and judging by his feedback, not for the first time either.
After reporting him as a serial non paying bidder & he's still allowed to participate on Ebay regardless, I've been given a credit for the fees that I've been charged, but as I don't intend to sell on EBay again it means I'm still out of pocket.
I also listed a set of genuine Mercedes alloys with four new Nokian WR A4 winter tyres, complete with a trolley jack, a set of Mercedes wheel bolts & locking nuts, with the highest bid only reaching £216. What planet are these people on?

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I advertised my CLK on Ebay and quite frankly wish I'd never bothered. I've had every idiot under the sun promise me they wanted to buy it but then never even put a bid in. The winning bidder, who had a very low bid, did not even turn up to collect the car or pay for it, and judging by his feedback, not for the first time either.
After reporting him as a serial non paying bidder & he's still allowed to participate on Ebay regardless, I've been given a credit for the fees that I've been charged, but as I don't intend to sell on EBay again it means I'm still out of pocket.
I also listed a set of genuine Mercedes alloys with four new Nokian WR A4 winter tyres, complete with a trolley jack, a set of Mercedes wheel bolts & locking nuts, with the highest bid only reaching £216. What planet are these people on?

It's just a joke isn't it. The guy that has been trying to come round to see our car wanted to come tomorrow afternoon when England are playing, what planet is he on :p:p:p

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
It's just a joke isn't it. The guy that has been trying to come round to see our car wanted to come tomorrow afternoon when England are playing, what planet is he on :p:p:p
Lol my detailer asked to wash the car at 10:00 am , I said make sure you are home by 2 for kick off but reckons he is all booked up!!

Mercedes SL500 R231

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
We have decided to sell one of our classic cars as we don't really have enough space in the garage for both of them, so the MG is going.
Not sure why Keith decided to use ebay when there are other sites, but he's gone and put it on there all the same.
Today someone messaged him and wanted to come down tomorrow to have a look at the car, quite a reasonable request I think. I wouldn't want to part with a large amount of money without seeing what I was getting. However ebay won't allow you to give your phone number, email address or any contact details for fear of you doing a deal outside of them.
If we give this person our details ebay will assume the car has been sold and charge a fee, even if the person doesn't buy the car which is plain crazy. Surely if the car isn't sold and remains listed as for sale then it means the person didn't buy the car? I don't get why they are so unreasonable. I also don't get why Keith put the car on there in the first place, but that's men for you :cool:

You can put all your contact details in the main adertisement on e-bay.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
The contact numbers or address is not allowed on ebay .Try it and you will get an email telling you so. This is because they- ,ebay think the buyer wants to purchase outside iof ebay rulles ,thats before listing ends .I have been there a few times when i wanted to speak to the seller .

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
There is no reason you cannot also advertise it in the press or classic car magazines then you can use an email or phone number to let buyers make contact. You will get loads of tyre kickers but that is to be expected. Some do say that it is advertised other places.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
There is no reason you cannot also advertise it in the press or classic car magazines then you can use an email or phone number to let buyers make contact. You will get loads of tyre kickers but that is to be expected. Some do say that it is advertised other places.

The ebay ad runs out on Tuesday so I think he will list it elsewhere then if it doesn't sell, which it probably won't as I can't see anyone bidding on it without seeing it.

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
If you advertise something on eBay, do you have to sell to the highest bid even if it falls short of your value, or can you decline the offer.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
If you advertise something on eBay, do you have to sell to the highest bid even if it falls short of your value, or can you decline the offer.

Yes & no, there are different ways to use ebay. You can advertise as a classified ad stating your price or as an auction for the highest bid. You can also put a reserve price on it or accept a best offer.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d

As mentioned above there are many ways to use ebay. You can't decline a winning bid, it's a legally binding contract, well allegedly. It's often a good idea to either put a reserve price on or start the bidding at a price you would be happy to accept.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

Use the reserve option, if you do not then you should as I have done take it on the chin and sell it to the highest bidder, but it appears there are a lot that don't think like me...........

As to do you have to in principle yes but who is going to take you to court to pursue it ?

Heres an interesting article in NSW of a court upholding a contract resulting from an ebay sale and yes you could cite Australian law in the uk its up to the court as to its influence.

https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/08/03/1185648121130.html

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom