EC light on. no air con

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
For models 129,140, 202, 210, 215, 220, 463 Up to the 15-08-99

If you have the EC light on all of the time on the above cars, the cure is to replace the temperature sensor.

This sensor for the refrigerant leaks moisture so that incorrect values are transfered to the control module and air con is turned off.

Replace sensor.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blobcat

Is it worth making the above post sticky we have had 3 of these faults last week or so

Terry @ Blenheim

Reaction score
S Class Year 2000

I guess a lot of us have been using the air con recently. My EC light was on all the time and the Main dealer replaced the temp sensor which has fixed the problem and the air con is working ( £150)

Jack Sprat

Reaction score
Before you go spending £41 on the sensor (and £10 having it fitted at Qwick-Fit), have you had your computer re-set to switch off the light? The computer will NOT reset just because you have gassed your system.

wgriffiths

Reaction score
air con

just reading about the ac faults its worth noting this as well on w 203 modles there is a service measure a coding change in the ezs/eis unit for the ac many systems have run low on gas or had a leak gas has been replaced and the presure/temp sensor brings a fault up this fault cannot be eraised even with star diagnosis you have to go into eis/ezs and change the presure/temp sensor to inactive and the ac will work

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk320 cab-E430 estate
I have this problem ,is it a diy job. If so is there anywhere that tells you how to do it. Thanks.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sadly the system has to be emptied and refilled so not a DIY job so sorry

piestore

Reaction score
ec light on

HI

Wgriffiths is very close but not quite correct MB have had a problem with this since the S class 140 series, the fix is to recode EIS or ACC control unit (depending on which model)
The coding for monitoring gas level must be changed to inactive. There is a software fault which results in a false reading from the gas pressure sensor, changing the sensor and clearing the fault only results in a short term fix. The down side of deativating gas level monitoring is that if you do have a leak the compressor continues to run and you are unaware that you have no gas, apart from the fact than when AC is on the air is warm

ahoythere

Reaction score
For models 129,140, 202, 210, 215, 220, 463 Up to the 15-08-99

If you have the EC light on all of the time on the above cars, the cure is to replace the temperature sensor.

This sensor for the refrigerant leaks moisture so that incorrect values are transfered to the control module and air con is turned off.

Replace sensor.

Thank you for this post Malcolm. I just wanted to query your comment about having 'the EC light on all of the time'.

I have a W210 (E300 TD). The EC light can be switched off and on by pressing the EC button but when I switch it off, the aircon is not working. Strictly speaking therefore, the EC light is not on all of the time but the EC setting is.

Is your diagnosis still the same - i.e. replace temp sensor?

Thanks.

jonpiz

Reaction score
My W203 has the EC light on all the time. I took it for a recharge and the system held a vacumn, however would only take about 50% of the gas. A MB computor was connected and no fault codes were shown. The EC light still stays on. Is this just a faulty temp sensor that would cause this?:confused:

dimex

New Registration
Reaction score
Air Con - W208 (2001)

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the following. Between temperatures 12 degrees - 17 degrees, i get the situation whereby the left hand side blows hot, whilst the right hand side blows cold. The EC dials set equally for both. I'm assuming there is a senor involved (but probably wrong as a novice amongst experts!) All is fine above 18 degrees.

Your help Appreciated...:confused:

280te

Reaction score
Hi my friend has a C180K 2003 model and the AC light is on all the time and the AC is not working.He had it recharged but it is still not working.Do these models have the same problem with the temp sensor.

Thanks

habz17

Reaction score
HI

Wgriffiths is very close but not quite correct MB have had a problem with this since the S class 140 series, the fix is to recode EIS or ACC control unit (depending on which model)
The coding for monitoring gas level must be changed to inactive. There is a software fault which results in a false reading from the gas pressure sensor, changing the sensor and clearing the fault only results in a short term fix. The down side of deativating gas level monitoring is that if you do have a leak the compressor continues to run and you are unaware that you have no gas, apart from the fact than when AC is on the air is warm

Hi Piestore,

I have a w203 2001, how do you reset the EIS/ACC ..? Do I have to take it to the stealership or can I do myself somehow..? My aircon stopped working so I had it regassed - but it leaked again and the EC light stays on permenantly even after another regas... do I have to change any sensors or will the rest do the job..? Any help is appreciated....

moore_887

Reaction score
96w210 e230
My EC light comes on when i switch it on but it does nothing at all. I dont think the system works at all. Should it be as powerful as air conditioning? What does EC stand for anyway? I am going to quickfit tomorrow as i think there is a hole in my exhaust somwhere ( i am suffucating in traffic and there is that distinctive "hole in the exhaust" sound!) Should I ask the experts at quickfit to look at the EC or just bring it to my freindly MB dealer?

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDI Yr2000 w202 engine 611960 (OM611)
EC light on. no air con

Hi,
All your EC means is that you have switched off the aircon I believe, so as to save fuel. Mine came on last year after a bump released all the gas so I sucked the air out of the system with a vacuum cleaner pipe with a refill pipe in the low pressure connector and taped to the Vac hose and just sucked it out with the vacuum cleaner suction and then disconnected the hose of the Low pressure aircon refill connection while the vac was still sucking to stop air going back in and the refilled the aircon with a kit I got off EBay complete with meter to show how much is in the system and surprisingly to me it worked and is still working. I you've got a leak you can get a gas refill with leakstopper in it i have used that before on another car and it worked fine.
Hope this is of some use to you, if you are already sorted via the stealership it may of use in the future.

tonyb

Reaction score
hiya all..i took my 1996 E300 DIESEL to k/fit (as my air con was getting less efficent but working ) It took us half hour to find one of the 2 connections (its well hidden, its in the grill by the nearside headlights behind a little door) it was re-gassed and although their air-con machine said it was 100% my air-con was still the same and now its non exsistent but light still works ok ...any ideas plz??

Hoggy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 220 Cdi 203 Manual
Kindly diverted to this thread by Television "cheers" ...

I'm slightly unsure if this thread actually would be applicable to my vehicle? .... only in as much as the top posting stipulates the models as follows ... For models 129,140, 202, 210, 215, 220, 463 Up to the 15-08-99

My vehicle is a W203 ... 2001 my ... 220 Cdi ... Classic ... Manual Gearbox

I'm basically trying to find the part/s that will be required to rectify the problem (constantly illuminated EC switch) Aircon not functioning as expected. Also the location of the part/s on the vehicle.

Any help much appreciated … cheers Peter “Hoggy”

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will look in the morning for the 203

Hoggy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 220 Cdi 203 Manual
Cheers Malcolm ....

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom