Edc fault on Sprinter 311 cdi 2002

pistonbroke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 cdi, 311 sprinter,SL320-24
Hi
My sprinter has been difficult to start for quite a few months, especially when hot but I rarely use the van so when I do have the issue I use easy start
It's a 2002 but only done 55 k miles ( genuine )
I purchased a replacement crankshaft sensor and cam shaft sensor, but when I was driving it home to fit the parts the engine stopped and EDC light came on along with the yellow fuel pump with lines underneath on the instrument cluster

I managed to restart, limped home on tick over ( any revs and would die )
Once home fitted the cam and crank sensors, when started - still not revving, but saw lots of air bubbles in clear hose on top on filter so next day fitted genuine new filter, along with new water sensor and the black thing ( valve ?) that has two hoses onto it on top of fuel filter and new hose o ring on the clear pipe from the centre

Once all replaced, eventually got it started ( more easy start as van has never self primed after filter change )
But tickers fine and smooth, but when driving off EDC light back on and engine rough ( tick over still smooth )
Still has a few tiny bubbles in fuel line when running but no build up with engine off
I checked camshaft sensor wiring under the black cover when changing the sensor
Nothing obvious on wiring loom and engine bay is pretty spotless and original as I've liked after the van myself since nearly new

I'm at a loss, I'm self employed and going through a quiet period financially so need to avoid putting it into a dealership ( would probably have to let the van go if too expensive to repair )
Last year replaced the clear fuel lines and the o ring on the common rail pressure sensor

Would really appreciate any advice or if anyone could recommend a mobile mechanic that covers north west Surrey ( Epsom ) that knows these beasts

Thanks in advance

OP
P

pistonbroke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 cdi, 311 sprinter,SL320-24
Problem solved

Before the van played up I hadn't used it for about a month, but the last thing I did before parking was put some fuel in ( I park on a slope and was on reserve. ) seems that what ever fuel I put in was contaminated ! ! As removed filler cap and it stank, the receipt shows was 20 litres of diesel, suspect possible some form of cleaning fluid but don't know to be certain

Either way had one of those companies out that drain the tank, replaced filter and now runs fine

Interesting though, I asked the guy what happens to the contaminated fuel, apparently a company buys it, pumps it into a huge tank where it sperates over a period of time, then resold to independent garages as petrol and diesel ! ! !

I fueled up at an indie garage !

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom