Effects of vacuum on SL320

crabbtrux

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 SL320
Just a question out of curiosity really. My SL320 headlights have always pointed at the tarmac about 10 yards on front of the car! I've just sort of managed with it up til now. But I had a moan about it to an evangelistic Merc enthusiast over the weekend, and he dived in, and mentioned the system was run by vacuum. Within 2 minutes, he had my 'switch' off (yes I know it's a vacuum valve now, but not before!) and there was no air being sucked into the pipes. About 5 minutes of detective work, and he found a pipe had come off at the back of the engine, somewhere near where the steering column would go if the car was LHD (if that makes sense). Lights now go up and down. Woopee!

My question is twofold. 1. The mpg indicator is now much better, I assume this is purely cosmetic? Or is there likely to be a secondary benefit of having a full pressure vacuum system? 2. Why, if this is so important, is there no dashboard indication of a vacuum pipe being not present?

As I say, I was happy with the car before the repair (as is my local petrol station owner and Gordon Brown), but curious as to the above answers?

Paul Crabb

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Paul and welcome :D:D On petrol engines, you have max vacuum at idle and closed throttle. As the vacuum system on you car was leaking the economy gauge could not work as it operates from this same vacuum line used by the headlamps. there is a vacuum pipe from the engine to the cluster on early car and this vacuum is converted to electric signals on later ones

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom