EGR delete - W202 C250TD - Quick Question

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Good morning all. Having read through Dieselman's egr delete thread thoroughly I am going to carry out the EGR Delete mod on my C250TD this morning by using a ball bearing to block the vacuum hose. If anything just as a trial to see how the car behaves over my journey to and from work today.

I know this is a relatively easy procedure and if it does make the car better somewhat then I will ask Wayne Gates to fit a small blanking plate between the EGR gubbins and the intake pipe itself.

Is there anything else I should be aware of whilst doing this? The car is on 178k miles and is healthy and I want to do this mod to prolong the engines healthy life, regardless if I gain any performance or fuel consumption benefits.

Thank you,

Harry.

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
...This is the engineering masterpiece I will be using to do the mod...

DSC_1741_zpsquehmbcv.jpg

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
About 3 miles from work, pulled in for some Diesel, first impressions are,

- The car has more low down torque, and whilst this was quite evident pulling away at roundabouts earlier, the genuine proof was in traffic. Uphill stuck in traffic the car wasn't so quick to jump back into 1st gear, instead hanging onto 2nd gear right down to say 6mph. Made for a much better driving experience. Even more so when the road levelled out as I got nearer to hangar lane roundabout.

- The turbo comes in earlier, say 300ish rpm lower in the Rev range and it's definitely more audible. Also the turbo kept spooling right until 3500rpm when it started to go silent as it was spinning so fast, normally I can barely hear it, especially after 3k.

- I didn't experience any longer warm up time though that may be down to the gorgeous got weather today.

- Fuel economy is largely the same tbh... However there is no smoke at all now whereas there'd be a small puff of black smoke as I'd pull away normally at a junction.

I'll keep updating this in case anyone wants to do this mod to their OM605\606.

Harry

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
You are lucky that you are dealing with a motor that allows such an easy mod. Later ones are NOT so simple.
All the favourable comments you made have been documented by other users of the egr delete. Very worthwhile doing.
Mine has been done now for maybe 3 years and have had no issues whatsoever.
Ian.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Second that!
I blanked the egr by cutting the vacuum tube and re-joining with a short length of solid plastic rod on my old 4x4 and it gave the same satisfactory results.

I am about to try the electronics mod on my 2005 W203 220cdi, but it looks fairly baffling, not being in any way an electronics boffin. I did this successfully on my earlier W203 270cdi and it was brilliant, but that was an easier installation.

To me, there seem to be several plugs that could be the egr connectors, and two plugs on the maf. Still, if you don't try you don't succeed, so I'll scratch my head a bit more and give it a go.

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
You are lucky that you are dealing with a motor that allows such an easy mod. Later ones are NOT so simple.
All the favourable comments you made have been documented by other users of the egr delete. Very worthwhile doing.
Mine has been done now for maybe 3 years and have had no issues whatsoever.
Ian.

Oigle, you're one of the 4 gentlemen who has spent time perfecting the EGR delete mod for many people, dieselman, Kartec (I think?) and Alex Crow have also spent ages researching and developing ways of egr delete. Big thank you mate!

The only concern I had was of premature turbo wear however cars did come pre egr and work fine with the exhaust gas temps without egr so it's fine I guess...?

Second that!
I blanked the egr by cutting the vacuum tube and re-joining with a short length of solid plastic rod on my old 4x4 and it gave the same satisfactory results.

I am about to try the electronics mod on my 2005 W203 220cdi, but it looks fairly baffling, not being in any way an electronics boffin. I did this successfully on my earlier W203 270cdi and it was brilliant, but that was an easier installation.

To me, there seem to be several plugs that could be the egr connectors, and two plugs on the maf. Still, if you don't try you don't succeed, so I'll scratch my head a bit more and give it a go.

Even that rod trick is neat, ball bearing (or a plastic BB gun pellet in my case) works too. I've been debating whether to do this for ages and I'm glad I've bitten the bullet!

Also on a side note, I noted the car coolant temps and it ran somewhat lower especially in traffic earlier.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Oigle, you're one of the 4 gentlemen who has spent time perfecting the EGR delete mod for many people, dieselman, Kartec (I think?) and Alex Crow have also spent ages researching and developing ways of egr delete. Big thank you mate!

The only concern I had was of premature turbo wear however cars did come pre egr and work fine with the exhaust gas temps without egr so it's fine I guess...?

Even that rod trick is neat, ball bearing (or a plastic BB gun pellet in my case) works too. I've been debating whether to do this for ages and I'm glad I've bitten the bullet!

Also on a side note, I noted the car coolant temps and it ran somewhat lower especially in traffic earlier.

I have given mine quite a hammering with high loads from towing, 2psi higher boost by ecu mapping and more than usual percentage of high boost running in hot temperatures (towing in Oz) and the turbo has not turned a hair in 150K. I think that proves the turbo will not be affected. Turbo life is more related to correct hot shutdown of motor and use of good clean oils. I am very careful to allow a good idle period after prolonged high boost usage.
Yes, you will find that, even with a good thermostat, the motor will take longer to get to operating temp. The heat exchanger in the egr manifold no longer gets a gut-full of flaming exhaust through it like it used to when the egr opened and thus no heat transfer into the coolant.

Last edited:

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Oigle this is the thread i was reading, what size ball brearing and where exactly does it go for those of us not very knowlegeable on engines. I mean i dont even know which is the egr and where it is

Thanks

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Oigle this is the thread i was reading, what size ball brearing and where exactly does it go for those of us not very knowlegeable on engines. I mean i dont even know which is the egr and where it is

Thanks

Sorry. Didn't realise that you had already read this post.
I don't have this motor so can't advise the physical layout. I imagine silextanix could give you a better steer there. Maybe take a photo for you and point out the relevant bits. Sorry can't be more help. If no response, send a PM asking for help.
Ian.

Last edited:
OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport

Thanks

Sorry. Didn't realise that you had already read this post.
I don't have this motor so can't advise the physical layout. I imagine silextanix could give you a better steer there. Maybe take a photo for you and point out the relevant bits. Sorry can't be more help. If no response, send a PM asking for help.
Ian.

Darkchild101, I can indeed help you by providing a picture as Ian has kindly mentioned. ;)

Here you go bud:

DSC00480_EDITED_FOR_DIESELMANS_EGR_REMOVAL_THREAD_zps0ae72285.jpg

Remove the aforementioned Vacuum pipe from the EGR Valve, get a ball bearing or 6mm BB Gun pellet, push it just into the front of the pipe and push pipe firmly back into EGR Valve so ball get pushed a bit down the pipe by the EGR Valve's pipe nozzle.

Job done. :cool:

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Darkchild101, I can indeed help you by providing a picture as Ian has kindly mentioned. ;)

Here you go bud:

DSC00480_EDITED_FOR_DIESELMANS_EGR_REMOVAL_THREAD_zps0ae72285.jpg

Remove the aforementioned Vacuum pipe from the EGR Valve, get a ball bearing or 6mm BB Gun pellet, push it just into the front of the pipe and push pipe firmly back into EGR Valve so ball get pushed a bit down the pipe by the EGR Valve's pipe nozzle.

Job done. :cool:

Thank you kindly sir

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You should make sure that the EGR valve is fully closed.

fdhamlin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 Sprinter 2.7 OM647
Hi Guys,

My case is slightly different, as mine is a NAFTA Sprinter but never the less it's a 2.7l OM647. Many thanks to Mr Alex Crowe and his excellent thread on this subject.

We are 3 years along since our EGR delete. Probably, the most noticable difference is the lack of Turbo Lag (more likely EGR lag waiting for the EGR to close so you can get more go) as well as more low end torque (or less delay).

I also blanked off our EGR valve (electronic type). Thats the EGR valve embedded in Hi-Temp silicone. Somewhere I heard that the EGR could be forced open (don't know how). So I did it anyway. Found very little if any soot build up at the time.

On another subject, last year we removed our exhaust system. Turbo, (Degutted) Cats, then straight pipe to the rear.

Again, not much change but we are much happier in traffic. Maybe picked up 2-3 mpg and gave it back with throttle use. We run at 25-30 MPG US.

Alex has an excellent thread on this subject and is worth a read.

Can't say why but ours didn't need all the electronics. Don't ask me why it works but it didn't.

That's all folks. Many thanks to Alex, Oigle, Dieselman, and all for their infinite wisdom (& patience).

Fred

Attachments

• Fully disabled EGR.jpg
    Fully disabled EGR.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
I have added tags to this thread so it can be used as reference to anyone in future wanting to disable their EGR on this respective engine and the OM606.

As per other thread, cheers for that information Ian, much appreciated, and thank you Malcolm for reminding myself and other to check the EGR valve is not indeed stuck open. If it is, Oigle's reply shows those symptoms.

Top Bottom