1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EGR Poll - If removed/blocked, did you notice a difference?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by silestanix, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:

Did you notice any difference? And what was it if you did?

1. No

18.2%
  2. Yes

54.5%
  3. Better response + power

63.6%
  4. Longer warm up time

36.4%
  5. Less smoke

27.3%
  6. Engine running at different temperature

9.1%
  7. Other (Please mention in your post)

18.2%
  8. Cleaner running ie less crud etc

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. silestanix

silestanix Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    97' C250TD Sport
    I paid a visit to WG-MB today to show them my W202 after it's recent cosmetic work and all it refurbish (and wash, wax yada yada).

After discussing improvements the topic of EGR came up and we were talking about benefits from removing it, better low down power, less smoke etc.

People ask on the forum all the time about EGR and benefits and that's spread across many many different thread and posts. So mainly to gather that information in one place and out of interest really, I'd like to see what members have experienced after they've blocked/deleted their EGR. If it's not on the Poll then please mention it in your post.

Thank you!

Harry.

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I noticed less crud in the inlet manifold.

silestanix likes this.
  3. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    when I did mine on the 203, I cant say I really noticed any difference. there wasn't much crud to start with and for me, it was more a preventative thing than something that actually needed doing, so ive voted no difference

silestanix likes this.
  4. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Currently 2003 ML270. 2012 Nissan Maxima 250SL.
    Better throttle response and more boost at lower revs. No more ultimate power. No smoke.... Slower warmup but eventual op temp same (therm controlled) Manifold stays clean and flaps don't jam up with crud. Flap seals stay lubed and don't wear out from crud and don't leak oil.
    Ian.

silestanix likes this.
  5. M80

M80 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Vito115 ExLWB (07)
    I've disconnected and removed the mod from the Vito to reduce possible confusion for a future owner as I'm selling it soon.

Yep, it now spools up the turbo later so doesn't feel quite as spritely, there is less grunt low down.
    I had forgotten the downside of the slower warm up and found that was very noticeable on the Vito. I haven't really compared since removal but when fitted the engine would be very slow to pass 70+, and even when it had reached 85 the temperature would drop again when not loaded. It's been through 2 new stats to try and eliminate this.

I'm hoping not to keep the van long enough to compare fuel economy over a significant distance.

silestanix likes this.
  6. monkeh

monkeh Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007/8 Chrysler, 300c, OM642 lump
    Yes. Maybe though, I had a big list of issues when I got round to it.
    Now, I have definite quieter running on cruise and idle, Less smoke when gunning it when rolling and noticeable decrease in consumption, with a quicker time in getting to 'average' consumption.
    Oil, Remained cleaner for longer, with maybe 1000 miles before it eventually turned totally black.

I do have a little puff of smoke at take off, but that is due to swirl flaps removal. The amount of sludge on my inlet manifolds was/were? quite a shock when I stripped it down and cleaned out the system.
    Running a 300c, OM642, De-dpf'd, Remapped, Big intercooler, No EGR, with 128K on the clock.

silestanix likes this.
  7. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    On an E320cdi w210...noticeably smoother and seemed more power low down.

silestanix likes this.