Electric Cars

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The world is waiting for a cheap electric vehicle then sales will take off and problems with range will be forgotten in a headlong rush to buy.

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
The world is waiting for a cheap electric vehicle then sales will take off and problems with range will be forgotten in a headlong rush to buy.

Whereupon the number of people being run over by cars silently creeping up on them in car parks will increase five fold.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Whereupon the number of people being run over by cars silently creeping up on them in car parks will increase five fold.

Nah, they'll all have cheap speakers under the hood playing V8 engine sounds.

Maybe small annoying cars could have the "crazy frog" ringtone thingy on continuous loop :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

Why will they have blacked out windscreens ?

Do Teslas have a people scoop on them ?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

I read an article that someone, I think it was Tesla, did testing with a couple of blind volunteers. At round town speed in amongst the normal noise of everyday life they could hear the vehicles coming due to tyre noise.

But if people can't look where they are going in car parks because they generally have their faces glued to their phone screens. Then it sucks to be them.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I read an article that someone, I think it was Tesla, did testing with a couple of blind volunteers. At round town speed in amongst the normal noise of everyday life they could hear the vehicles coming due to tyre noise.

But if people can't look where they are going in car parks because they generally have their faces glued to their phone screens. Then it sucks to be them.

Trouble is blind volunteers have significantly more attuned hearing than normally-seeing ones, and it's those one needs to worry about.

Consequently, when we do testing, we use seeing volunteers with blindfolds on. Big difference to the results.

By the way I agree about the "texters".

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.

Not me.

Until EV cars recharge in minutes and have a decent range, they wont sell in droves. For me the fact that I could get home and be near flat on charge and suddenly need to use the car in an emergency, is a complete killer. (literally!).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not me.

Until EV cars recharge in minutes and have a decent range, they wont sell in droves. For me the fact that I could get home and be near flat on charge and suddenly need to use the car in an emergency, is a complete killer. (literally!).

But then the same could be said of getting home with the tank near empty and needing to find a filling station. In an EV you could have 80% charge in 30 minutes with existing rapid charge tech.

If we can assume a 500 mile+ range in the next generation (competitive against ICE cars) and enough education about them for owners to trickle-charge every night, you wouldn't be stuck in the first place.

Like I said before, a lot more to do with changing how one thinks about the car rather than what the car cannot do.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The roofs should be solar panels

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The roofs should be solar panels

They likely will be, Leaf incorporates a solar panel into the top surface of the rear spoiler, the only trouble is that they're really not cheap. Still, 1m^2 of solar cells should produce 150W peak at the current (badoomtish) tech level.

The trouble is, taking the leaf as an example, it has a 30kW.hr battery, so that 150W solar cell will need 200 peak hours to fully charge it.

So roof solar cells, not insignificant but more "handy" than "essential".

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
But then the same could be said of getting home with the tank near empty and needing to find a filling station. In an EV you could have 80% charge in 30 minutes with existing rapid charge tech.

If we can assume a 500 mile+ range in the next generation (competitive against ICE cars) and enough education about them for owners to trickle-charge every night, you wouldn't be stuck in the first place.

Like I said before, a lot more to do with changing how one thinks about the car rather than what the car cannot do.

I see what you are saying and some of it does come down to educating people to change their habits.

However, people are always reluctant to change their habits when there are very clear disadvantages with the technology at present. The analogy of a near empty tank isnt quite representative because with a near empty tank you can still drive the car somewhere to get fuel quickly. With a flat EV you cant and when you do its a 30 minute wait for charging (at best).

One area that I would be interested in understanding is the actual cost to fully recharge the car. Actual cost to replace the batteries.

The above said, my mother has a Prius and its the most dreadful car ever. I pleaded with her not to buy it but she was 'swayed' by the salesman. Next time Im going with her!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see what you are saying and some of it does come down to educating people to change their habits.

However, people are always reluctant to change their habits when there are very clear disadvantages with the technology at present. The analogy of a near empty tank isnt quite representative because with a near empty tank you can still drive the car somewhere to get fuel quickly. With a flat EV you cant and when you do its a 30 minute wait for charging (at best).

One area that I would be interested in understanding is the actual cost to fully recharge the car. Actual cost to replace the batteries.

The above said, my mother has a Prius and its the most dreadful car ever. I pleaded with her not to buy it but she was 'swayed' by the salesman. Next time Im going with her!

All true, but situational. Example: a couple of years ago before we moved in together my missus slipped over on a wet kitchen floor (I was at work, so didn't push her!) and was stuck. In agony, ripped ligaments, turn muscle etc, little 'un was only just 2yo at the time and tried to help her up, stroking her saying "poor mummy" and so on. Heartbreaking. Anyway she'd done as women usually do and had run her car down "until the light comes on" (education was needed here too!) The nearest filling station was 20 minutes away, in the opposite direction from A&E so she lost 40 minutes in doing that.

To fully recharge the car is pretty simple- take the Leaf, as it is now it has a 30kW.hr battery (I just looked this up for my last post) and a typical domestic 'leccy rate is £0.12/kW.hr so 30 x 0.12 = £3.60, for 80 miles = 3.6/80 = 4.5pence per mile.

Cost of the battery, I have seen quoted at £5k so take that as ballpark, assume 12k miles per year and a 5 year lifespan for the battery (being pessimistic there) gives you a battery cost per mile of 8.3 pence or a combined cost per mile of 12.8 pence.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Trouble is blind volunteers have significantly more attuned hearing than normally-seeing ones, and it's those one needs to worry about.

Consequently, when we do testing, we use seeing volunteers with blindfolds on. Big difference to the results.

By the way I agree about the "texters".

It may have been blindfolded.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
How many homes though have a beefy enough power feed to charge these vehicles fast with most home consumer units rated at 30amp max.

I am looking at a Smart electric car for a specific purpose but i would keep a normal car aswell, in any event.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How many homes though have a beefy enough power feed to charge these vehicles fast with most home consumer units rated at 30amp max.

All, they're designed specifically for domestic installation without any modifications to the power supply.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom