Electrical burning smell from under drivers side (Right-hand) - A-Class A150 W169

dle1990

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A-Class 1.5 petrol
Hello everyone, first post here so I apologise if this is in the wrong section and thanks for any help in advance! My car is a 2005 Manual Petrol A150 A-Class W169.

After starting the car around 20 minutes later I get an electrical burning smell coming from under the car near the drivers seat (Right hand drive car), kind of like when a plug or electrical device gets really hot. I'm getting no signs of anything wrong on the dash or loss of power and so on, everything seems to be working normal.

2 weeks ago I did have the issue of water in the battery compartment (about half an inch) which I cleared the drains out and dried the car for about 4 days before attempting to start it. The smell has appeared not too long after that, not sure if it is related or just coincidence. From what I have read on here and other sites it would point to the alternator or the voltage regulator. Have not been able to test the alternator myself as I don't have the equipment and all the garages will be closed.

If you need anymore details then let me know! I'm far from a mechanic so please keep it in layman's terms :) haha. Thanks!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not think there is an easy answer for this, you should get help, what part of London you in. I cannot see it as being an alternator fault.

OP
D

dle1990

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A-Class 1.5 petrol
In the SW8 area near Vauxhall. Have turned it on today and can confirm the smell is not coming from the exhaust or engine, nothing seems to be stuck on the exhaust or under(like a plastic bag).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The best indie is WG who is based in Harrow Weald, so the other side. It is just too hard to know what the problem is.

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
Go and see Des at Forrera , they are in Hanwell , west London , but they live and breathe A classes. It's all they do.

http://forrera.co.uk

OP
D

dle1990

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 A-Class 1.5 petrol
Thanks will check them out. Cash is a little on the tight side so looking to get this fixed for as little as possible!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indies are ½ the MB price.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom