Elephant insurance

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I went online today to review the additional charges to my policy by increasing the mileage. The process was straight forward until i hit continue, expecting it to say are you happy to submit the changes. Basically it sent a request to change the policy, which at that point I could not stop.
An email came through, "Thanks for contacting, we're to confirm policy change from 7k to 12k a year for an additional £151 a year plus the admin costs.
I rang them to say I was only enquiring, they just said if I wanted to change back then I would have to pay double the admin costs of £34.95. So to enquire about the additional mileage it has cost me £34.95.
How can they justify a jump of £151 a year for another 5K miles???

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Do distance selling regulations apply to policy changes (i.e 14 day right of refusal?)

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do distance selling regulations apply to policy changes (i.e 14 day right of refusal?)
I did have the right to cancel when I took out the policy, cannot get to them online right now as I guess they are updating them. I'm really p!ssed off. I shouldn't have even enquired!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yeah I'm wondering if changes are subject to the same cooling off?

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah I'm wondering if changes are subject to the same cooling off?
I just rang through again as there was another £4 charge going onto the account!! this chap went off for 5 mins and came back to say they would remove any charges associated with this which I was grateful of. They should change their system so that any change request is confirmed before deciding on what that charge is and confirming.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Part of Admiral Group along with Admiral, Bell, Diamond and elephant.co.uk., plus Confused.com.
Strategy is to appear among the cheapest in various comparison sites & then milk you everytime you make contact.

I got caught out with a policy that included European cover, which turned out to be 3rd party only, to go to France fully comp cost an extra £88 for 10 days. I said I was going back to France later in the year & they said that would be another £88 for that too.

I rarely go with the cheapest quotes anymore, it's false economy.

Russ

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Part of Admiral Group along with Admiral, Bell, Diamond and elephant.co.uk., plus Confused.com.
Strategy is to appear among the cheapest in various comparison sites & then milk you everytime you make contact.

I got caught out with a policy that included European cover, which turned out to be 3rd party only, to go to France fully comp cost an extra £88 for 10 days. I said I was going back to France later in the year & they said that would be another £88 for that too.

I rarely go with the cheapest quotes anymore, it's false economy.

Russ
I had to bite and bullet and look at some of the cheap ones as I have zero NCB (ex company car driver). Once a year is up the premium should drop a bit. But, to charge an extra £150 for extra miles is a rip off.

Last edited:

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
What really sucks is when they totally screw you over so much so that you say "do one" and cancel your policy in disgust, then they charge you a premium for that too !

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What really sucks is when they totally screw you over so much so that you say "do one" and cancel your policy in disgust, then they charge you a premium for that too !
Yep, during my first phone call I said, ok I'll cancel, they would have given me back £570, from a policy that cost me £660. I only took it out under 4 weeks ago. At least it's sorted now.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Haha, they’re all the same.

We have an Admiral multi car policy, mine, wife’s, and daughters.
I enquired about adding daughter as a named driver on wife’s car, and the wanted around £170. - around a 30% charge, (for just the remainder of the year) and the overall risk is the same , it’s just a money making exercise.

I’ll be looking at changing insurers......

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Haha, they’re all the same.

We have an Admiral multi car policy, mine, wife’s, and daughters.
I enquired about adding daughter as a named driver on wife’s car, and the wanted around £170. - around a 30% charge, (for just the remainder of the year) and the overall risk is the same , it’s just a money making exercise.

I’ll be looking at changing insurers......
I'm going back to being an insignia company car driver :D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom