Engine management light reset

Shanusacarabus

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is any way to reset the engine management light on my 2001 w203 ???

what happened is i started to go round a roundabout in 5th gear ( gulp ) and obviously the engine didnt like this, on entering the correct gear the car was very juddery and the engine management light was on, i pulled over.. turned off the engine and started back up, the juddering had gone but the light was ( and still is ) on.
Now im guessing... and hoping that this is just a case of reseting the light, does anyone have any ideas????

And also what was this juddering ????

Zebra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI
The light may go off after starting the car 5 times.

The juddering is probably due to going too slow in too high a gear.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
DIY scanner/reader (like the U581) or STAR. The U581 costs about £65 and STAR at local indie about £35. Difference being that you can use the U581 as often as you like.

OP
S

Shanusacarabus

Reaction score
Zebra, the juddering was still happening even in correct gear, hence turning off engine..... i have no doubt that incorrect gear caused this... just dont know why it would carry on after selecting right gear :???:
And about these scanners, are they any good ?????

Thincat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK320
I used to turn off the engine management light on my 2001 SLK (when the cat was faulty, to get through the MOT) by disconnecting the battery. You need to leave it disconnected for a few minutes. (Remember to disconnect leads and reconnect in the right order). The only pain is that you then have to re-enter the radio code and reset the ESP but this only takes a few minutes.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
I bought the U581 as the Engine Management Light had been triggered on my W203 C180. The cause of the fault was the O2 (lambda) sensor which I replaced and the throttle flap sticking causing over fuelling. I cleaned the heavy thick black oil from inside the throttle body, cleared the fault using the U581 and took for a long road test. During the road test the EML light came back on due to the faulty O2 sensor. I then changed the sensor cleared the fault and to date, about 8 months, everything is working ok. If I had not bought the Scanner/Reader i would have had the added cost and inconvenience of having to use my local indie or MB. Most, including the U581, diy scanners will only clear engine related faults all other faults need to be cleared by MB or your local indie using STAR.

Top Bottom