Engine management light......

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
Sooooo, as one can probably guess, my engine management light has decided to illuminate itself on my dash. Did this last night around 8pm (Not that I'd wager the time is relevant!) & since then I've been googling to no avail, & have also relieved myself of 20 of Her Majesties' finest Pounds on a Code Reader from Euro Car Parts. The code reader reads, & then declares "Link Error". So bang goes that idea. Anyone know of any independent places that won't require me to extend my mortgage in order to get the codes read? I'd rather nip this in the bud than end up with a mahoosive bill further down the road........!!

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
Oh, forgot to clarify.....I'm in Derby, so that sort of location would be grand......

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
Should the engine be running? It was "on" to the first click, as it were, but the engine wasn't running.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It needs to be on to the last click before starting.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If all else fails I'm in Daventry and free tomorrow if you want to pop down I can read codes for you.

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
That's a very kind offer, but having decided that you two are geniuses, & I'm a blubbering moron (Yep, hadn't had the ignition far enough on!!) I've found a shiny new P0171 error code. Apparently "System too lean (Bank 1)". So, now to figure out what exactly to do about that......!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As it's a 4 cylinder you only have 1 bank so that bits easy.
Too lean suggests an air leak into the manifold or bad Lambda sensor. If your code reader does live data look at the lambda sensor - it should fluctuate up and down.

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
As it's a 4 cylinder you only have 1 bank so that bits easy.
Too lean suggests an air leak into the manifold or bad Lambda sensor. If your code reader does live data look at the lambda sensor - it should fluctuate up and down.
It's only a basic one to be fair. Lambda sensor is going to be a easy enough job to change though, I presume? Might bung a new one in & see if that clears it.....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's only a basic one to be fair. Lambda sensor is going to be a easy enough job to change though, I presume? Might bung a new one in & see if that clears it.....
If you can get it out without damaging the threads it's easy enough.... Not cheap at around £80 though.

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
If you can get it out without damaging the threads it's easy enough.... Not cheap at around £80 though.
WD40 in abundance then....£80? Hmm, I'll chuck that receipt at the accountant, see if HMRC will deduct it...

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
EML can be a number of things and chasing things that are not correctly identified (having the codes read properly) can cost you a lot without solving the problem.
Mercserve in Nottingham are spot on. They come well recommend on here.
Good luck and do let us know how you get on!

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
Good shout Mioba. Happened to be working round the corner from Mercserve today. Stuck my head in, & was advised to not worry about it, but if it flags up again, to drop it in. Very nice guy, obviously knew his stuff. Always reassuring to know someone can't fit you inmmediately & whom didn't want cash for the advice.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Good shout Mioba. Happened to be working round the corner from Mercserve today. Stuck my head in, & was advised to not worry about it, but if it flags up again, to drop it in.

From that, would I be correct in assuming the fault cleared itself?

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
Erm, nooo. The fault light disappeared when I (Rather stupidly) cleared it when I accidentally poked the wrong buttons on the OBD reader. I'm keeping my eye (& ears) on it, but currently, it's fine as ever.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
You can either clear it manually or, many will clear after 5 re-starts. Just because it has been cleared doesn't mean that it is still not stored [my understanding], just that it is not a continuing fault.

With my car, I just equate it as 'going through the menopause'. Either it will sort itself out, or crack up completely.

Sorry, Ladies.:(

I know > coat > hat > door >:)

OP
I

idiotboy_78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 180 Kompressor
You can either clear it manually or, many will clear after 5 re-starts. Just because it has been cleared doesn't mean that it is still not stored [my understanding], just that it is not a continuing fault.

With my car, I just equate it as 'going through the menopause'. Either it will sort itself out, or crack up completely.

Sorry, Ladies.:(

I know > coat > hat > door >:)

Ah, cheers Ken. Good to know. And I don't think any ladies' noticed the comment. They'll be too busy washing the pots to notice things like that.........

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom