Engine Oil Extraction via dipstick tube ?

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
Have just bought another CLK this time a 2008 CDi220 .
I appreciate it doesnt have a dipstick fitted but does have the tube obviously .

Is it possible to draw the engine oil from the dipstick tube or do I have to get my shorts dirty and get under the car .

Thanks in advance.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes, it's mainly how MB do it, you will get 95% of the oil out this way too.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The Pela 6000 on ebay will go down the dipstick tube . Popular pump on this forum . I'm a big fan of them. I use it to replace atf as well .

OP
TILTNTURN

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
Cheers Gents . Ive got a pump I use to extract oil from other cars just didnt know if the Merc DS tube would accept a plastic tube down it .

OP
TILTNTURN

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
Unfortunately having retired at 52 years young due to 4 unhappy discs in my spine , 3 heart attacks and a triple bypass { oh he`s such an attention seeker !}Im not just as agile as id like to be that and the fact ive become very lazy makes me more happy to be in the upright position and be doing something other than watching telly .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Here's my routine for oil changes on my 129 (8 litre sump, 6 litre pump).
1. Warm up oil to make it easier to extract.
2. Insert tube and pump up pressure.
3. Check oil flowing and go inside house.
4. Put kettle on.
5. Come back out and once 4 litres has been extracted stop pump. Empty reservoir into suitable container.
6. Re-insert tube and start extraction again.
7. Go inside, make cup of coffee and find biscuits.
8. Come back out and wait till pump stops suckingoil. Start to consume coffee and biscuits during this time.
9. Start pouring first 4 litres of new oil in.
10. Wait till all drained into sump.
11. Drink more coffee and eat another biscuit.
12. Pour in remaining oil till dipstick says it is nearly at maximum.
13. Finish coffee.
14. Change filter (do this after finishing biscuits - old engine oil isn't a good dunking replacement for tea or coffee)
15. Run engine briefly.
16. Check oil level and top up as required.
17. Clean up, empty pump into suitable container.
18. Go inside for celebratory beer.

OP
TILTNTURN

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
LOL . Are you ok LK .
I could not have put it better myself then again as my better half just said . Your is humorous , mine generally isnt .
I have one of those electric attach to your battery and flatten it types of pumps that i generally stick the back stuff into an old 4.5 ltr oil tub .
My lovely and always correct other half has asked if its important the brand of biscuits or will supermarket own brand be ok ?
I have sooo much to learn !!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
LOL . Are you ok LK .
I could not have put it better myself then again as my better half just said . Your is humorous , mine generally isnt .
I have one of those electric attach to your battery and flatten it types of pumps that i generally stick the back stuff into an old 4.5 ltr oil tub .
My lovely and always correct other half has asked if its important the brand of biscuits or will supermarket own brand be ok ?
I have sooo much to learn !!
Has to be chocolate hob nobs....

MikeNI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200k Elegance
I have a cheap pump I bought in Lidl, done the job on the w203.

It probably would have been quicker to do it the old fashioned way, but using the pump is clean and easy. Left it running and went and had a cuppa!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
I’ve wondered about this method, and wanted to query - 1. is the drain plug magnetic?
2. Wouldn’t pump method tend to miss any metal particles/heavy goop in the bottom of sump, that plug removal may drain?
3. If yes to above, would it make sense to change the oil more frequently to try and clear it/avoid sludge build up?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I’ve wondered about this method, and wanted to query - 1. is the drain plug magnetic?
2. Wouldn’t pump method tend to miss any metal particles/heavy goop in the bottom of sump, that plug removal may drain?
3. If yes to above, would it make sense to change the oil more frequently to try and clear it/avoid sludge build up?
The drain plug isn't magnetic , but you can buy called goldplug I think . The main dealer usually pumps out from the top anyway .

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
If you are getting any magnetic or metallic particles in your engine oil you need more than an oil change.
When I've checked the remaining oil in sumps after using the suction method the amount left in there varies from a tablespoon full to half a tea cup. Insignificant imo.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Here's my routine for oil changes on my 129 (8 litre sump, 6 litre pump).
1. Warm up oil to make it easier to extract.
2. Insert tube and pump up pressure.
3. Check oil flowing and go inside house.
4. Put kettle on.
5. Come back out and once 4 litres has been extracted stop pump. Empty reservoir into suitable container.
6. Re-insert tube and start extraction again.
7. Go inside, make cup of coffee and find biscuits.
8. Come back out and wait till pump stops suckingoil. Start to consume coffee and biscuits during this time.
9. Start pouring first 4 litres of new oil in.
10. Wait till all drained into sump.
11. Drink more coffee and eat another biscuit.
12. Pour in remaining oil till dipstick says it is nearly at maximum.
13. Finish coffee.
14. Change filter (do this after finishing biscuits - old engine oil isn't a good dunking replacement for tea or coffee)
15. Run engine briefly.
16. Check oil level and top up as required.
17. Clean up, empty pump into suitable container.
18. Go inside for celebratory beer.
This is the get fat method of changing oil then...all those biscuits!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
We need this tested so...I volunteer you.

1 Use a pump to drain as much as you can, then,
2 Jack up car, undo sump plug and tell us what happens next.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
If you are getting any magnetic or metallic particles in your engine oil you need more than an oil change.
When I've checked the remaining oil in sumps after using the suction method the amount left in there varies from a tablespoon full to half a tea cup. Insignificant imo.
Not necessarily true on a new vehicle, and in that instance not necessarily terminal. :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom