1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Oil Extraction via dipstick tube ?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by TILTNTURN, May 16, 2018.

1. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 -W215, A140-W168
    I get that not much may drain out, but wondered if ‘heavy bits’ would remain in bottom not necessarily picked up by pump? :) just one of those idle ‘what if’ - I realise the only 100% way would be drain then drop sump pan to really look!

Jim2 likes this.
  2. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    A magnet would catch them...even if attached on the outside of the sump.

Jim2 and Wighty like this.
  3. KeithJG

KeithJG Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
    Me being "old school" i do not like ALL modern methods they are designed to trick or earn others money!

It has all been done before so i still prefer to take the sump nut out and let the oil woosh out with the force of 8 litres behind it and any sludge or crap that may come with it. The suction method by MB is too slow to do any good?

This was also an article i read about a problem OM642 engine that had problems with engine bearings etc. and it was due to heavy sludge in the sump due to over use of the oil or infrequent changes?.........so is crap left in there???

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1663766-om642-v6-diesel-engine-failure.html

Jim2 likes this.
  4. Submariner1

Submariner1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    My main dealer said they often Remove the drain plug, depends on the engine sump shape. And where the suction tube ends.
    On the parts list used on a service for the 5.5L engine is a sump plug ... a few quid. And irrelevant to me, as I always get a pre agreed discount price on any service. Kinda price matched.

But tbh doing under 3000 miles per year. The oil still looks like golden syrup just before the service.
    You can just about see the colour difference on the lower 5mm of the dipstick afterwards.

Jim2 likes this.
  5. Submariner1

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    Interested in the order of work.
    Sounds like you put in the new oil before changing the filter.
    Any reason why you don't you drain out the dirty oil, then remove the old filer , replace with a new one and then put in the clean oil?

Jim2 likes this.
  6. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Yep. You can fill through the filter housing as demonstrated by Cole today when he did the A service on our r230 (amongst other work).
    I found out today it primes the oil pump that way too.

Jim2, V6Matty, daibevan and 4 others like this.
  7. mioba

mioba Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124/1994/E200, W220/2004/S320CDI, W205/2016/C200, W447/2017/3.0 CDI
    Without reading all the replies it's been covered to death.

8. Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2008 W204 C320 CDI
    It might be reading this with a headache but you remove the old oil, pour in the new oil, then remove the old filter. But then I don't get the comment about filling through the filter housing if it's still in place as you've not removed the old filter. Did I mention my head is hurting?

9. noonboots

noonboots Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
    I wouldn't expect to be seeing machining debris or metal particles coming out of modern engines.Thats why the first service is at 12 months or 10000 miles. The days of running gently to bed in the engine are long gone. In the old handbooks it would say avoid hard acceleration and keep below 50mph for the first 500miles and then change the oil. It did indeed come out with metal particles in it.

Jim2, Westheath and stwat like this.
  10. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Something found out yesterday. Before refilling remove filter, then refill half through oil filler cap then half through filter housing then refit filter

Jim2, silestanix, Lord_Lucan and 3 others like this.
  11. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
    You should remove the filter before completing the draining/ sucking out of the old oil, as some will remain in there, held by vacuum until the lid is loosened. We always bath the new paper elements with new oil before fitting as this reduces the time for the filter to be primed on start up.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Linuus likes this.
  12. Msb

Msb Member

Your Mercedes:
    Clk500
    Did exactly that on a friends car at mates garage, got as much out as poss by sucking oil out via dipstick tube and oil filter housing, when we dropped the sump plug out there was still a good half pint or so came out, this in my eyes is doing a shoddy job just sucking the oil out from the top, the sump plug needs to come out to do it properly

13. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    Conversely, I removed the sump pan from my Smart after I'd sucked the oil out with a Pela and there was was next to nothing left in there ..... Smart Roadsters don't have a sump plug.

14. grahamcol

grahamcol Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2001 SLK230, 2000 C280 V6
    B
    But I suppose there would have been a few mins delay after using the pump - enough to allow more draining from the engine innards. I've managed to suck up more oil after initially sucking it dry, just by waiting a while. Ultimately I suppose it depends upon the shape of the sump and whether the suction pipe can really get to the bottom.

15. silestanix

silestanix Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    97' C250TD Sport
    LOL this is Exactly my oil change routine haha

16. Msb

Msb Member

Your Mercedes:
    Clk500
    Agreed but in my experience from what i saw sump plug will be always getting dropped to ensure removal of as much oil as possible

17. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    Well ...........

Take off the cam covers and remove all the oil left in the top galley ways as well :)

If the vehicles regularly serviced then its not a problem imho
    A lot of cars are "over serviced" to be honest,
    unless the drained oil looks feels and smells like its in poor condition
    i use the suction method, if I have any doubts about it I remove the sump plug
    inspect anything remaining there suck out the filter housing, remove the cam covers and breather system,
    turbo pipes and then if a problem with sludge or crusty burnt oil residue etc
    I use an oil flush with new oil for an hour running and drain and refill with fresh oil again.
    Its rare for me to find an engine crudded up due to lack of oil servicing or cheap oil usage, if i do its usually terminal because the owner/driver bought it in due to noises from engine.

:)

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Wighty likes this.
  18. Jim2

Jim2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 Eclass w212 2.1 CDI
    That's make sense.....in the days of cartridge filters, while the oil was draining from the sump, I would put some oil in the cartridge and let it soak through filter fabric. Never took long for the oil pressure light to go out on the dash. So next oil change after removing the filter from it's housing, I will put half a litre or so into it before dropping in the new filter. Rest of the oil will go in through the normal filler tube.

Westheath likes this.
  19. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    You might be amused by some Smart Car oil and filter change procedures.

I've seen some done by removing the oil filter and running the engine till no flow from the filter then refilling the oil and replacing the filter and called standard procedure

Time to walk away.

Jim2 and Wighty like this.
  20. Submariner1

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    So you are saying they drain the old oil out using the engine oil pump?
    Definitely time to walk away from that garage. :(

I guess they can also save a bit more time, by running it until it stalls; hey then you dont even have to bother walking around to switch the engine off. :(

Jim2 and daibevan like this.