Engine upgrade sprinter 208

Stewart Foster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 1999 Reismobile Baumgarten La Strada Regent L
Hi guys I am my for an engine upgrade on my 1999 campervan.
It’s the Beumarten Reismobile La Strada regent so a superb piece of kit.
However, boy is it slow.

Need someone who can suggest an upgrade my preference is OM602 TD from a 312D but at the moment not able to source a low mileage can to act as doner.

Other suggestions are eagerly awaited understanding I want to keep to period ie 90’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
it depends what the van you have is based on. if its a 308 then its around 80bhp (from what I can gather) whereas the 312 engine is 120bhp. personally, as theres plenty of them around, id be tempted to try to fit the OM605 from a 90s C class (ideally C250 Turbodiesel) which has around 150bhp. also remember that vans aren't geared for outright speed, so they will be slow and rev hard on motorways etc anyhow. however more power means you can also change the gearing (diff or gearbox change would alter engine to roadwheel ratios) without affecting driveability too much. more power with the current gearbox and rear axle ratio will give you great acceleration (and better hill climbing) but no benefit in terms of engine speed (at, say 60mph) or fuel economy.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think they're based on a 208?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think they're based on a 208?
shorter chassis, but I believe the engine is the same.
that said, years ago we had a customer with a 410d converted to a camper and we bolted on a turbo and various other bits (manifold, exhaust downpipe etc, along with a few mods) taken from an early sprinter, so maybe that's a possible thought?

OP
S

Stewart Foster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 1999 Reismobile Baumgarten La Strada Regent L
that said, years ago we had a customer with a 410d converted to a camper and we bolted on a turbo and various other bits (manifold, exhaust downpipe etc, along with a few mods) taken from an early sprinter, so maybe that's a possible thought?

The suggestion of an OM605 250 turbosieael sounds
Great but
Gearbox fit what’s required
Looms is the OM605 mechanical throttle or does it need ecu
Thanks for your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the 250 turbodiesel I had was electronic throttle but with a mechanical pedal (the electronic potentiometer for the throttle was under the bonnet.

there is also the option of the 190e 2.5d engine which is also a 5 cylinder (not sure if its the same engine) but was never offered in the UK with a turbo. there is also the 6 cylinder E300d from the 124 chassis engine.

as for gearboxes, I'm not sure but id imagine most MB gearboxes will physically fit most MB engines. its more a question of whether you have (or want to convert from) manual to auto (or vice versa) as certainly in the case of the C250 turbodiesel, they were available with both options.

gazhopper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208d
could you do that for my 208d camper please?

gazhopper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208d
the 250 turbodiesel I had was electronic throttle but with a mechanical pedal (the electronic potentiometer for the throttle was under the bonnet.

there is also the option of the 190e 2.5d engine which is also a 5 cylinder (not sure if its the same engine) but was never offered in the UK with a turbo. there is also the 6 cylinder E300d from the 124 chassis engine.

as for gearboxes, I'm not sure but id imagine most MB gearboxes will physically fit most MB engines. its more a question of whether you have (or want to convert from) manual to auto (or vice versa) as certainly in the case of the C250 turbodiesel, they were available with both options.
lovely can you do it to my camper, and if so can you give me a ball park figure?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom