Engine warming!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi all

On my diesel bike project, I am having issues keeping the thing warm!

Its a Kubtoa 3 pot 700cc tractor engine.

Around town, with a grill blocking 80% of the radiator, I struggle to get coolant temps above 75 Degrees. Thermostat is working 100%, it starts to open at 72, and I cannot get a hotter stat so that explains why I don't see much above 75.

I was interested in oil temp so I installed a sandwich plate with oil temp sensor, and was very surprised to see oil temps in the 30s!

I insulated the entire sump, and the oil filter which is at the front of the bike, I now have oil temps in the 40's but that still strikes me as far too cold. I haven't ventured out onto fast roads yet, but suspect with this very cold weather that it will be the same!

Some pics!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Wow , there are some clever people around ! Hopefully one of them will be along to help you soon :rolleyes: .
(Joking aside ...impressive work !)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Apart from the obvious enjoyment and sense of satisfaction that such a project gives, what is the rationale behind it?

Please don't tell us that you judt happened to have a disel engine lying around.

And what is the skeleton of the big machine in front of the Honda?

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
A mix of 50/50 coolant and water boils at around 220 degrees. That same mix at 16 pounds per square inch (psi) of pressure boils at approximately 250 degrees. And the boiling point increases 2-3 degrees for each additional psi of pressure in the system.

So why not experiment with cap pressures?

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What about reducing coolant capacity/volume?

That would work, but there is already a very small amount of coolant in the system.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apart from the obvious enjoyment and sense of satisfaction that such a project gives, what is the rationale behind it?

Please don't tell us that you judt happened to have a disel engine lying around.

And what is the skeleton of the big machine in front of the Honda?

Ermmmmmmmmm Being an oddball? I like the idea of running around on biodiesel. At the end of it, it gives 100mpg that a 125cc scooter could do, with similar performance and much improved reliability.

The bike in front is a FZS 600... I do love them, but Mr Kahn is going to charge me £10 a day to ride that one into London as it does not meet euro something or other.....

The irony is, I sold my new NC750X DCT as I worried about getting mugged by the bike gangs in Central London, so I sold it, bought the fazer and now I get charged..... sweet justice.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
He does it because he can and why not, as to temperatures block the entire front of the radiator off, plenty of heat will leak through the water jacket and pipes in the engine at this time of year.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
He does it because he can and why not, as to temperatures block the entire front of the radiator off, plenty of heat will leak through the water jacket and pipes in the engine at this time of year.

Will do. If only I could find a hotter tstat, its an odd shape and only made for these kubotas.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Will the waxstat ? not come out of the housing ? to swap to a higher temp one.
Wrap the bike in tin foil that should deter the scallys.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will the waxstat ? not come out of the housing ? to swap to a higher temp one.
Wrap the bike in tin foil that should deter the scallys.

It will but I cannot find a stat that fits in the housing, its size/shape seems to be specific for this engine:

The writing on the top shows the stat starts opening at 71 and is fully open at 98.

There is always the option of removing the stat and running another in a housing inline, but the pipe from the outlet to the rad inlet is about an inch long and so that would be very difficult.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Moped rad?
Its one from a CB600 I think. I had issues with fitment. I had a smaller one and it kept overheating on the motorway, I then added this wider but narrower one, that sorted the overheating issues!

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
What’s the diameter of the stat?
It will but I cannot find a stat that fits in the housing, its size/shape seems to be specific for this engine:

The writing on the top shows the stat starts opening at 71 and is fully open at 98.

There is always the option of removing the stat and running another in a housing inline, but the pipe from the outlet to the rad inlet is about an inch long and so that would be very difficult.
stat

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pack the 'stat spring so that it opens later?
A possiblity, I can try cutting some shims and testing in a pan of boiling water. I think it might need a stronger spring instead of packing it out to actually change the opening temp.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
is it coolant temp you are having issues with or oil temps though? this post is a little confusing? any engine heats up slower (or struggles to get to temp at all) in the current low temps (a lawnmower engine is designed for summer use, hence the low stat opening temps) but there may be alternatives available for colder climate places. also remember that airflow through the original rad would only be at whatever the air/wind speed was, + 20mph or so maximum, so you have a greater airflow rate over the rad than originally intended. all of this will affect oil temp also. you could try an oil heater of some kind, like the fuel preheaters that used to be around on cars, heated by coolant. other than that, I'm struggling off the top of my head for ideas, short of some sort of total blanking blind set up across the rad which can be opened as engine temps demand

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
but surely the engine your using is designed to move slower , so would naturally get hotter with less wind assisted cooling ?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom