Engine warming!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
My point is....It's not exactly that stressed ...

It seems from all the contributions so far that there are several ways of improving the running temperatures of both oil and water, but to my mind this still leaves what is in essence a separate problem - the potential for the motor to overheat when on full bore for prolonged periods.

I can't see that being cured simply by raising the engine temperature during normal running conditions. Another solution may be required to address this, because on full bore with load the engine is 'boldly going where no engine of this type has gone before'.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
It seems from all the contributions so far that there are several ways of improving the running temperatures of both oil and water, but to my mind this still leaves what is in essence a separate problem - the potential for the motor to overheat when on full bore for prolonged periods.

I can't see that being cured simply by raising the engine temperature during normal running conditions. Another solution may be required to address this, because on full bore with load the engine is 'boldly going where no engine of this type has gone before'.

The best options in my mind are:

Increased thermostat opening temperature (82 instead of 73)
an oil to water heat exchanger.

That will A) bring the oil temp up and B) keep the coolant warmer as the heat from the coolant will be going into the oil instead of out to atmosphere with the stat open at 73)

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Saab turbo thermostat options 82 or 89C opening...
Ebay around £10-12....

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Saab turbo thermostat options 82 or 89C opening...
Ebay around £10-12....

Are they physically the same size? Maybe I can make them fit if the hat is larger.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Have a dig (google), I couldn’t see dims?
I just remembered that they operated different temps for different parts of the world...
Dare say other manufacturers operate similarly?

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have a dig (google), I couldn’t see dims?
I just remembered that they operated different temps for different parts of the world...
Dare say other manufacturers operate similarly?
Ah right I see! I have spend quite a while searching other manufacturers dimensions etc. It would seem that the kubota stat is uniquely sized.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
If you need parts machining and your prepared to post parts to me, I should be able to make or modify whatever you need.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you need parts machining and your prepared to post parts to me, I should be able to make or modify whatever you need.
Thanks! Much appreciated. That may mean that I can get a custom stat housing machine to go ontop of the existing one...

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So Ride out today, full throttle on NSL roads for 20+ minutes. 90% rad block. Coolant temperatures got to 100Deg C and stayed there with ambient temp of 8Deg C. Oil temp came up to 45Deg c and stayed there until I came off the fast roads, where it nudged up to 50 after the coolant came down to 85ish. I think that a water/oil heat exchanger would dump some of the extra heat into the oil where it should help, but I am not sure of the complexity involved in plumbing one in.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
On the old
So Ride out today, full throttle on NSL roads for 20+ minutes. 90% rad block. Coolant temperatures got to 100Deg C and stayed there with ambient temp of 8Deg C. Oil temp came up to 45Deg c and stayed there until I came off the fast roads, where it nudged up to 50 after the coolant came down to 85ish. I think that a water/oil heat exchanger would dump some of the extra heat into the oil where it should help, but I am not sure of the complexity involved in plumbing one in.
On the old Metro Turbo there was a sandwich plate between the oil filter and its housing. I'll see if i can find an image.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
4121792215_4a6361bdf0_b.jpg

The brown block on top of the oil filter.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah so I already have a sandwich plate (for the oil temp sensor). Its the blue thing on the front right of the last picture.

However, If I install a ticker sandwich plate, I would have to relocated the filter as it would stick out in front of the engine too much (it would interfere with the front wheel under braking.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Blue thing with bolts hanging out the side? Are they bolts or blanking plugs? Can we do anything with it, drill it and run a circuit through it?

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue thing with bolts hanging out the side? Are they bolts or blanking plugs? Can we do anything with it, drill it and run a circuit through it?

They are blanking plugs. Unfortunately they are all on the return flow side so we cant use it to flow oil "through" something.

I have bought a FZS600 oil/water heat exchanger. Looks like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Same oil thread size as the kubota engine. I have also bought the bits to re-locate the oil filter to behind the tank :)

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Just been reading this through with interest. I didn't get all the way through so please forgive me if someone else has suggested this already. One of the guys in the office had a look over my shoulder (a former marine engineer and current biker) and he suggested protecting the thermostat casing from the airflow. That way it will only react to the temperature of the water and not the cooling effect of passing air on the casing which might transfer to the thermostat capsule.

Top Bottom