Engine Warning Light After Cold Start

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220Cdi Sport Coupe 2007. Previously a 52 Reg Sport Coupe achieved 479,000
A bit weird this-morning, my 07 220 CDi (W203) tends to turn the engine over a bit slowly on a cold start, but it's always started. This morning it didn't start on the first round and then did on the second but the engine warning light came on and stayed on. I let run a minute or so and then switched off for the reset period and tried again. Started fine but engine light on. Nothing sounded wrong and visual all okay. Did a short trip and later on this morning the engine light stayed off.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not getting any glow plug warnings then ?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Could be a low voltage related code setting the light, really needs to be plugged in to check though.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
A bit weird this-morning, my 07 220 CDi (W203) tends to turn the engine over a bit slowly on a cold start, but it's always started. This morning it didn't start on the first round and then did on the second but the engine warning light came on and stayed on. I let run a minute or so and then switched off for the reset period and tried again. Started fine but engine light on. Nothing sounded wrong and visual all okay. Did a short trip and later on this morning the engine light stayed off.

Maybe start of the cold weather showing up an old battery ? How old is it , there is a date stamped on one of the terminals . A Mercedes Star reading is a first port of call or an icarsoft Merc specific code reader will give more info on the fault .
I wouldn't throw parts at the car without correct diagnosis but if it was me and I thought I had narrowed down a possible faulty part and it's a part that would need changing at some point anyway , and that part cost gets towards what a Star session would cost then I sometimes risk it ( that's my sort of mental flow chart for parts/repairs ).
I bourght an icarsoft reader last year which has payed for itself many times over so far .

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220Cdi Sport Coupe 2007. Previously a 52 Reg Sport Coupe achieved 479,000
The battery showed 12.3v this am, so I don't think its a battery issue. I'm leaning towards fuel pressure maybe, as sometimes the engine will stall after starting sometimes.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The battery showed 12.3v this am, so I don't think its a battery issue. I'm leaning towards fuel pressure maybe, as sometimes the engine will stall after starting sometimes.
Even more need for a diagnostic (MB specific) code read ?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Probably an air leak in the low pressure side.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
The battery showed 12.3v this am, so I don't think its a battery issue. I'm leaning towards fuel pressure maybe, as sometimes the engine will stall after starting sometimes.[/QUOTE

Isolate the battery from the vehicle (remove earth lead) leave for 15 mins
check voltage with meter it should be above 12.5v

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
My money is on the Battery or crank sensor.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom