ETS ABS Lights on intermittently W210

David Holman

Reaction score
I have had this problem for some time. When I am driving I sometimes get the ETS and ABS warning lights come on, after a short while (1 min) the traction warning light comes on for a second or two and then turns off also at this point the ETS ABS lights go out. After this has happened I lose cruise control and ABS. If I stop turn off the ignition switch wait a few seconds and then restart the problem clears, and may not come back for the rest of the journey or a few times!!!! I was told by a MB dealer (who ran a diagnostics) that it is the brake light switch, this I have replaced, however a few months later the fault came back so I replaced the switch again and yet again... All the replacement switches have been genuine MB parts. I cannot believe that this is the problem and they fail after a few months... It may be a dirty connector but do not know where they are located.. can anyone help a very frustrated Mercedes Benz driver? the car is a 1996 E class 250 diesel W210 saloon.
Thank you
Dave.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello & Welcome,

I've moved this into the correct section

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I certainly cannot say that you have the same problem, but the light switch module on your car is similar to one I have recently had trouble with. That car had the repeated replacement of brake light switches in an attempt to rectify. It might be worth your while taking a look at it. Do you have any problems with the brake lights not working when the warning lamps are illuminated??

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=30075

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is a loss of a speed signal somewhere, thought the brake switch can kill this when faulty, I would check the speed signal pick up points

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Ensure that the front hub bearings are correctly set, any slop and the sensors will occasionaly detect it as a fault and turn on the lamp.
Recently some members have found the rear sensor to have damaged or rusty teeth on the inner drive shaft coupling giving the same or similar problem.
Other possible causes are wiring, connectors and the OVP relay suffering from poor or bad connections.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ensure that the front hub bearings are correctly set, any slop and the sensors will occasionaly detect it as a fault and turn on the lamp.
Recently some members have found the rear sensor to have damaged or rusty teeth on the inner drive shaft coupling giving the same or similar problem.
Other possible causes are wiring, connectors and the OVP relay suffering from poor or bad connections.

The rear one that you mention is an expensive fix and these teeth should be looked after

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Have you had the codes read?
I think you should find that your rear ABS sensor is in the differential on this age of vehicle, and hence will not have teeth on the drive shafts.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
D

David Holman

Reaction score
Hi I am not sure if the brake lights have a problem when the dash lights come on, I'll try to check.

OP
D

David Holman

Reaction score
I certainly cannot say that you have the same problem, but the light switch module on your car is similar to one I have recently had trouble with. That car had the repeated replacement of brake light switches in an attempt to rectify. It might be worth your while taking a look at it. Do you have any problems with the brake lights not working when the warning lamps are illuminated??

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=30075

Hi I am not sure if the brake lights have a problem when the dash lights come on, I'll try to check. Lost speedo reading twice the other day!

Top Bottom