EU loveliness once more

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
To be honest I can't see why anyone would expect anything else?

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Mentioned it 18 months ago?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Mentioned it 18 months ago?
Probably not high on the list of "Things that will be a result of Brexit".
I'm sure there were a lot more things that were higher on that list.
Maybe the cities concerned should have asked "Will we still be able to be a European Capital of Culture if we have left the EU?" before committing sums of money (especially given they should have know the rules for submission - specifically "According to the rules adopted by the European Parliament and the Council (Decision 445/2014), this action is not open to third countries except candidate countries and European Free Trade Association/European Economic Area countries.")

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There will have been a whole building's worth of committees dedicated to the EU city of culture. Not one of them pondered this in 17 months?

There were even overtures on both sides to use this to try and build bridges between the UK and the EU.

This is just another spiteful punishment.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So the cities themselves shouldn't have performed due diligence given the UKs upcoming change of status?

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
yep but then the people working on the proposal for the various cities would have been out of a job....they knew exactly what they were doing.....

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
yep but then the people working on the proposal for the various cities would have been out of a job....they knew exactly what they were doing.....

I don't think they knew what they were doing at all. No more than HM Gov and Theresa Dismay knew what they have been doing for the last totally wasted 18 months. If they really and truthfully thought that in the current situation that they stood any chance whatsoever then they certainly should not have any elected position.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Will they say our football teams can’t play in the Europa League.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I don't think we have much of a complaint except in perhaps timing ;

*"In 1985, Melina Mercouri, Greece’s minister of culture, and her French counterpart Jack Lang came up with the idea of designating an annual Capital of Culture to bring Europeans closer together by highlighting the richness and diversity of European cultures and raising awareness of their common history and values"

It would appear the EU now believe we have no common history or values now which is strange, sounds a bit like someone trying to excise the past.

* Wikipedia.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
There is a greater threat to our cultural life, Eurovision

Interestingly Eurovision now includes such European countries as Australia, Israel and Kazakstan amongst others :geek: Did they not do geography at skool?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

and they deserve a kick in the nuts. the EU has been a gravy train for 1,000,s who are just doing a zimbabwe grab whilst you still can .

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Interestingly Eurovision now includes such European countries as Australia, Israel and Kazakstan amongst others :geek: Did they not do geography at skool?

Well to prolong this unfortunately a tad longer, as we are still EU members and a Brexit deal is still not concluded, which may (who knows) include retaining membership of one of the qualifying free trade areas/associations its a bit early.

Still we could always change the name of our selected cities to Aussie sound a likes and sneak in a la eurovision ;

Manchoogester.
Hullabong.
Wigane.
Glouoomster
or even South east remoaner ...

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
This thread will close when it gets bad tempered.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well knock me down with a Euro feather where has it got even slightly bad tempered ?

There is by the way a South East Ramona in Australia as in place not person.

Last edited:
OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't help thinking Brexit has doomed us to Eurovision null points for decades to come. We may as well field Father Ted's version of My Lovely Horse and have a bit of fun. We could do this each year, put forward the daftest song we can possibly think of.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and they deserve a kick in the nuts. the EU has been a gravy train for 1,000,s who are just doing a zimbabwe grab whilst you still can .

Where's all our gravy now then?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I looked online at the documents specify application/selection and it's fairly clear that it's for EU members so even if one of our cities won the selection they would then be disqualified. I only looked for a couple of minutes but I didn't see anything suggesting that the EU had encouraged UK cities to enter?

Did the elected representatives in our applicant cities not study/consider the likely situation that Brexit would create? - I doubt it and that's why I said earlier that they shouldn't hold their elected positions allowing them to waste public money. Still, why worry about this when there's a big club in Westminster wasting oodles more money on projects such as a nuclear electricity generation centre that makes the Private Finance Initiative look quite ameteur and a railway line that has very limited benefits which few of us will be able to afford - with a setup cost that's already double where it started. Meanwhile the NHS has never had a deeper crisis since it was founded!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Fair enough if we don't qualify then that's that, perhaps it might be an opportunity for us to instigate a global city of culture.

Over priced electricity courtesy of the French and their Chinese backers well that has its roots in a can of worms best left for another time.
The similarly over priced train-set is analogous to buying a new V8 AMG to park outside your council house, perhaps more indicative of MP's having mid life crisis's than a sensible transport solution.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom