EUROPE - GOOD FRIENDS - BUT NOT OUR RULERS ?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
Presumably most of the members of this club have the best made cars in the world, the "Mercs".
How many of us would have voted "Brexit" if this meant that we had our cars and spare parts taken away ?
Simple answer, it will not happen, Germans are the most thrifty people in Europe.
So Merkel has a hard job on, trying to punish us for having the balls to leave the "Total Control Club", with Germany, (who lost the war), being the "Big Gun" in the EU, ask Greece, and deep down wanting us the buy their goods.
Merkell let one million immigrants into her cash rich nation, but she "sowed the wind, and will reape the whirlwind".
In the short term, IMHO, we will pay more for everything, it's obviouse, but most good things in life come at a cost, i am happy to pay it, if only to put the SNP in their place, they should support England for us carrying them, and the real "Fat Cats" in the EU Parliament, who cannot wait to "stick one on us".
Nigel Farage told us "The way it is", he was amongst it every day, and used to tell them what conseted ivory tower people they were, he once had the balls to tell the newly appointed leader, a nobody, that he was like a sheep, totally unknown, but with all the power.
We are so lucky to be out of this, total control, BUT we can be best friends with the good guys.
What do you think.? Herbie.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I didn't vote Brexit anyway.

Only the old with pensions, assets, and a chunk of money in the bank, most of whom wanted to remember the post war good old days where Britannia ruled the waves (just, with Americas help of course) and we could all leave the back doors unlocked (so my 91 year old gran tells me), along with most who thought immigrants were taking our jobs and suffocating our local economies were the ones who voted Brexit.

Personally, it was and is a terrible idea to be leaving the EU, it has its faults of course, but show me a government or an institution that is perfect, its about making the best of what you have. Leaving has stifled what was a good recovering economy under a solid government.

Farage is a bigoted, arrogant bell end, full stop. He didn't tell it how it is at all, I hardly agreed with anything the man said, and neither did the rest of the country, he's painting Brexit as a victory for UKIP, which if it was, they would be in pole position as leaders of the opposition, when in fact, they have less support now than they ever did.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Not sure about the hairdos but I disagree with the generalizations of both. I do agree we should have remained though but thats history now. I also have a pension and some savings. though

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Nations don't have friends. They have interests that align temporarily or for a slightly longer term.

I think you're casting Farage in a massively more productive light than what he actually did regards his job remit, which was to not vote on the majority of issues he was paid to vote on.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Nations don't have friends. They have interests that align temporarily or for a slightly longer term.

I think you're casting Farage in a massively more productive light than what he actually did regards his job remit, which was to not vote on the majority of issues he was paid to vote on.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Didn't stop him claiming his salary and massive expenses though!
- all legal of course including the bodyguard cost!"

I wonder how long he will survive on the medja?
- Even Trump had the common sense to dump him ASAP after he got his ticket!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Actually it was Cameron who took us out of Europe, He did it because of infighting within the Tory party. So he allowed a referendum hoping that most people would see sense and vote to remain. It was a hard call, but if people like Farage had attended every day like he should have, and fought for British Interests then things could have been different, But he preferred to just shout foul from the sidelines.
Now we have choice of selling our produce to India, America and Africa and a few other countries who have been doing ok without us. I wonder what India will do with all of the stuff we produce, or what they will need more than they are now buying.
They may wish to have free access to our NHS and dual citizenship as part of a trade deal...
It is amazing how many immigrants voted out simply because they did not wish others to come here and take their jobs or homes...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Farage wasn't amongst it every day. He had one of the worst attendance and voting records of any elected official.
Anyone else would have sacked him but for some bizarre reason people hail him as a hero. God knows why.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
India, America, Africa (which is a continent) and a few other countries.

That's the world outside of Europe is it?

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
IMO
The referendum this post refers to, was presented to the country with the presumption that voters would cast a stay vote, hence the 'shock' at the outcome.
The 'pitch' from both sides was poor and lacked substance or value upon which to make informed decision for voters.
Voters are broadly, not sufficiently knowledgeable to interpret the ramifications of the votes cast, the consequences of the decision are not clear to even the most informed observers and experts.

What chance did we have?

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMO
The referendum this post refers to, was presented to the country with the presumption that voters would cast a stay vote, hence the 'shock' at the outcome.
The 'pitch' from both sides was poor and lacked substance or value upon which to make informed decision for voters.
Voters are broadly, not sufficiently knowledgeable to interpret the ramifications of the votes cast, the consequences of the decision are not clear to even the most informed observers and experts.

What chance did we have?
Lights blue touch paper...

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
Remainers comments so far, but do you not think that we can be friends with Europe and have some reciprocal trade and control our own British laws and way of life?
From memory isn't this how we started with the EU, just a market. Herbie.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
See my first reply. Every country has its own national interest as its primary responsibility. That's why it is a sovereign state and not one element of a greater federated state (and it's arguable that the EU is headed this way).

Countries, no matter how close (or not) they work together, are not and can never be friends. They can have interests that align temporarily, or for longer periods. One political analyst put it as "about the best agreement is that one country won't try to kill another- today, and maybe tomorrow".

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Remainers comments so far, but do you not think that we can be friends with Europe and have some reciprocal trade and control our own British laws and way of life?

Ha, not so simple methinks!
The common market you refer to is not the European Union in all its complexity today.

Dangerous to presume that I and others are 'remainers' based on the scant postings here!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To answer your point about trade, yes we will trade with Europe. And anywhere else where we can competitively sell our produce. That's just how the world works.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi

British laws are no different to European laws are they? They have the same basic values. How as our way of life changed?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
British Common Law is the same as European law..?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
From what I understand we do have control over our British laws. We just have additional EU ones as well - many of which we would probably have anyway.
As for the British way of life...to paraphrase an old joke:
We buy drive home from the office in our German cars wearing Italian suits, our favourite meal is Indian, we sit on Swedish furniture while watching Japanese TV sets and our women wear French perfume.
Just what is the British way of life?
And just why would EU membership alter it?
If you're going to go off on one of your immigrant spiels the UK has had immigration all its history. Before EU times there were the Indians, the Pakistanis, the Jamaicans, the French (1066 was their longest holiday ever), the Danes (also known to be long stayers), the Norwegians and of course the Romans as a start...
Every one of these groups has contributed to make Britain what it is today.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom