exhaust rattle clk320 conv

arm 33

Reaction score
Hey

Wonder if you have any ideas guys?

Recently my convertible has started to make an annoying rattling noise that is defo coming from the exhaust. There seems to be no pattern to it though and will make the noise sometimes and not others. I have been underneath the car and all the heatshields are fine and as far as i can see no parts are touching the exhaust. All brackets are ok and none broken though i am wondering if i am missing one if anyone could tell me where they should be would be a hand? When i hit the exhaust i can hear the same rattling noise but it is very difficult to here where it is coming from??

Any one with a simliar problem? hope my cats not away, but the engine and performance feels fine so i cant see it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sadly it will be one of the lower cats, some folk cut them open and remove them

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
arm 33, do you have a bellows connector at the front of the exhaust? Others have found this can cause a rattle. If so slightly deforming this with a clamp can cure it.

OP
A

arm 33

Reaction score
Not sure about the bellows connector? could not see one? is it on each down pipe from the 'v'? It is very strange, why all of a sudden should it start to make a noise?

Regarding the cats? i see the pipes coming down from the 'v' , then each of them pass through a small chamber( i thought this was the first silencers?) then join up and go though a bigger chamber (i thought this was the cat) then to the rear silencer. So people just cut them out? how do they get through M.O.T emissions?

Cheers

robbo

Reaction score
Regarding the cats? i see the pipes coming down from the 'v' , then each of them pass through a small chamber( i thought this was the first silencers?) then join up and go though a bigger chamber (i thought this was the cat) then to the rear silencer. So people just cut them out? how do they get through M.O.T emissions?

Cheers

There are 4 cats, 2 cats near the engine (the things you thought were silencers) and two more underneath the car.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
There is also a heat sheild on one of the front pipes that is located on the exhaust when it curls near the gearbox. These can rattle also.

LeighW

Reaction score
Will it pass an MOT with the two rear cats removed/emptied, leaving just the front two near the manifold working?

I ask this as one or both of the rear cats on my clk320 are rattling. Emptying them is cheaper than the £800 approx cost of replacements...

DC77

Reaction score
Probably the cat as mentioned, same happened to my CLK when I hit a speed bump - new cat cost me £650-

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom