Factory towbar question

Zanimat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 E300D W124
In the case of a car with a factory fitted towbar, would the springs/dampers be standard or were uprated versions fitted?

Hmac

Reaction score
I think not (but I may be wrong). However, with a factory-fitted towbar ('trailer coupling' is the terminology used by MB) you do have a frame built into the floor to absorb the tractive forces exerted by the trailer. You might have self-levelling suspension, which I think is shown as code 480 on the data sheet, certainly for a C-class. I don't have the codes for other classes.

OP
Z

Zanimat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 E300D W124
Thanks Hmac. It's an E-class and I'm sure it doesn't have self-levelling suspension - and the towball unit is detachable.

OP
Z

Zanimat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 E300D W124
No; it's just that I wondered whether to expect a stiffer ride than my previous 300D which was an '88 model. This example has done fewer miles, so I would expect some difference, but I just wondered whether stiffer dampers/springs were likely to have ben fitted. The VIN listing gives no clues - in fact it doesn't mention the towbar (sorry! trailer coupling! :p ) at all.

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
probably unlikely to be different then, if today is anything to go by.

What you need is a price & options list from that time. someone might have one knockimg about and prove me wrong!

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
It's a 1995 W124 E300D......

If it's a saloon it's unlikely to have self-levelling. If it's an estate it will have

I am not aware of W124s having harder suspension as standard on cars with tow bars. I think everything was an option

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Top Bottom