Few niggles with W204 c250cgi 2012

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
Hello all,

I bought this lovely car last week (23k mileage) and have a few niggles that maybe you can help with :)

1) White smoke production from exhaust when idle - this has settled slightly the more I drive it. One of the members suggested this is normal (in another post), so hopefully not a concern.

2) Centre console gets quite warm when driving for 20mins, although markedly less when the blower fan is switched off.

3) Very noisy / creaky centre dashboard when driving over speed bumps.

4) When the key is engaged and you turn it to switch the car on, the ignition takes (I think) 3 attempts until the car starts. I'm not sure if this is normal design - I can upload a video tomorrow if that helps. The ECO start/stop function is still almost instant so this is probably just e being paranoid.

Any pointers would be much appreciated :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
White smoke production from exhaust when idle - this has settled slightly the more I drive it. One of the members suggested this is normal (in another post), so hopefully not a concern.

This has been discussed and is nothing to worry about

2) Centre console gets quite warm when driving for 20mins, although markedly less when the blower fan is switched off.

Heat soak from the air con

Common on them

4) When the key is engaged and you turn it to switch the car on, the ignition takes (I think) 3 attempts until the car starts. I'm not sure if this is normal design - I can upload a video tomorrow if that helps. The ECO start/stop function is still almost instant so this is probably just e being paranoid.

You only need to "flick" the key to start them unless you have an ESL failure but the car would not start at all

OP
C

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
JBell thank you yet again

1) White smoke - noted
2) Centre console - noted
3) Noisy dash - are you aware of any DIY fix ?!
4) Ignition - I feel like such a numpty, I wasn't 'flicking' the key before. I tried your suggestion and it's fine

Will upload pics after I get her washed :)

Last edited:
OP
C

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
It doesn't have command

SunnyDee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W204 Petrol Coupé
White smoke is fine mate, due to this cold weather you will notice it a lot more. See other cars on the road and take note of their rear exhaust :)

Centre console gets warm? Having noticed it but then again I don't rub down my car centre console LOL

Please explain the ECO issue, are you saying the green lights stays on all the time? Its meant to do that...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sometimes an application of silicone spray around the edges of trim pieces can stop creaking but its not a permanent fix and will need repeating.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Sometimes an application of silicone spray around the edges of trim pieces can stop creaking but its not a permanent fix and will need repeating.

Yes, to fix properly you'd need silent tape (automotive PTFE coated adhesive tape) but that would require removal of the trim to fit, then reinstallation.

Bit poor if it's creaking after only 23k though.

Vehementi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 AMG Sport Edition Coupe (C204), 2011, 2.2 CDI

As stated, heat soak does this. nothing to worry about.

Happens in mine, I'm going to have a hunt for the screws that hold it in place and see if tightening them up a bit more stops it.

All you need is a 'flick-a-da-wrist' (as I call it) and it'll start, as for ECO Stop/Start, it comes on instantly when the car is started. However can be turned off with the push of the button.

All in all, nothing to worry about. Just enjoy the car, if there was anything serious you will know about it. :)

Last edited:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Do you mean the engine cranks/turns over for 3 times or you have to turn the key 3 times?

Engine taking 3 turns to start when cold is not an issue.

SunnyDee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W204 Petrol Coupé
Oh just put the video up... your confusing a lot of people.

OP
C

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
White smoke is fine mate, due to this cold weather you will notice it a lot more. See other cars on the road and take note of their rear exhaust :)

Centre console gets warm? Having noticed it but then again I don't rub down my car centre console LOL

Please explain the ECO issue, are you saying the green lights stays on all the time? Its meant to do that...

Apologies for the confusion, the ECO function is working fine

So something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0060KK054/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE or this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001151E5I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Yes, to fix properly you'd need silent tape (automotive PTFE coated adhesive tape) but that would require removal of the trim to fit, then reinstallation.

Bit poor if it's creaking after only 23k though.

I agree, quite poor considering it only has 23k on the clock. It's not the end of the world, but just annoying and would love to fix it.

As stated, heat soak does this. nothing to worry about.
Happens in mine, I'm going to have a hunt for the screws that hold it in place and see if tightening them up a bit more stops it.

All you need is a 'flick-a-da-wrist' (as I call it) and it'll start, as for ECO Stop/Start, it comes on instantly when the car is started. However can be turned off with the push of the button.

All in all, nothing to worry about. Just enjoy the car, if there was anything serious you will know about it. :)

Oh brilliant, please do let me know if you manage to find the culprits RE the creaking dashboard.

Do you mean the engine cranks/turns over for 3 times or you have to turn the key 3 times?

Engine taking 3 turns to start when cold is not an issue.

I do the 'flick-da-wrist' motion once and then the car cranks/turns over 3 times till the engine starts. Seemed a little odd to me as previous cars crank/turn over once or twice. I don;t have access to the car till the weekend so can upload a video then.

OP
C

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
I'll give it a try this weekend....

OP
C

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
Very noisy / creaky centre dashboard when driving over speed bumps.

Turned out to be coming from the metal mesh located at the junction between the bottom of the windscreen and the top of the dashboard, passengers side.

The metal mesh was slightly loose, so I wedged three small pieces of felt between the windscreen and the mesh and the noise disappeared :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom