Flat battery - Can't get in boot. Help!

shurdle

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

I have a 1991 129 SL which has not been used for the last 3 weeks or so. Apparently during the recent hail storm that we had, the alarm went off nearly continuously. Must have cheered the neighbours up no end!

Anyhow, as a result the battery has gone flat and I am unable to open the boot to recharge it. According to the owners manual, I should be able to open the boot with the key, however I only have one key and this will not turn in the lock. What can I do?

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks in hopeful anticipation

Simon

yellowspringuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi MY2005
If that is the origal key that comes with it, you should be able to open the boot with it, sometimes you need both hands, one to turn the key and one to open boot release at the same time, try turning the key in different positions.

OP
S

shurdle

Reaction score
I have been reasonably forceful with the key and don't want to risk snapping the blade off in the lock, especially given it is the only key that I have.

I'm not sure that it is the original key. It only has one large button on it, rather than the 3 individual buttons that it shows on the key fob in the owners manual. Having said that, I'm sure that I have used the key in the boot lock whilst the battery wasn't flat.

Does the lock become much more stiff to turn when the battery is dead? I can't imagine why this would be unless it is related to the hydraulics.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is there any way that you can see the end of the starter motor, if so you could join your charger to the big fat battery cable and that would enable the vacuum pump to run to open the boot

OP
S

shurdle

Reaction score
Being not very mechanically minded, I have just popped the bonnet and stared around the engine bay for about 5 minutes and dedided that I cannot even identify anything that even looks like the starter motor.

Where should I be looking?

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
follow the fan belt, the starter motor will be joined on it usually to the left or right lower side of the engine as you are looking into the engine bay area

you can't miss the starter motor as it'll have very easy to see wire cables conencted to it (plus/neg(earth)

cheers
anyweb

oops, just re-read my post, i'm not referring to the starter above but the alternator,

the starter on your car is midway low down.

Last edited:
OP
S

shurdle

Reaction score
Thanks. Located it well enough to be able to see it, but couldn't work out how I was going to get a charger to it.

Then had a brain wave. Remembered seeing Jump Start cables that go from cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter. Quick trip in to town. £9.99 from Maplins. Plugged it in and couldn't get it to work. Then remembered that socket only works with ignition on. Two minutes of charge was sufficient to get enough power to operate central locking and popped the boot.

Battery is now out and on charge. Fingers crossed all will be ok when I put it back in.

Thanks for the help guys.

By the way. I rang the local MB dealership for advice from the service department. Our most local garage is Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands. They assured me that I was wasting my time trying to get in the boot as the battery was under the bonnet in 129 model SLs and it is only the new model that has had the battery relocated to the boot. Really helpful, and it's so reassuring to hear that they they know absolutely nothing about the cars that they sell and service!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I almost suggested that you bought one of these, but I do not like to spend other peoples money.

Pleased its all fixed though

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Our most local garage is Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands. They assured me that I was wasting my time trying to get in the boot as the battery was under the bonnet in 129 model SLs and it is only the new model that has had the battery relocated to the boot.

Can I suggest you go to a different dealership. I have a 129 and my battery is in the boot :shock: .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sadly they were wrong with the New SL there one in the boot and one in the engine compartment

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sadly even being able to see the starter motor is one thing, It would be possible to make a list of all cars that could be started from one of the terminals in a fuse box, but that needs a lot of working out, On day I will get around to it

OP
S

shurdle

Reaction score
Battery back in and everythings fine. Thanks again.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom