Flat battery ... Scrap car.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
2040!! Want worry me...........Something really doesn't add up with electric cars? The world has advanced so much in the last 100 years compared to the billions of years it has supposed to have been around and their saying that electric cars are still in there primacy but they have also been around since the 40's probably longer, so why haven't they advanced along with the rest of the world??

It's actually the ICE cars that haven't advanced in that time. They've added a whole range of turbos, computers and trickery in the last 30 years and it hasn't really made anything other than an incremental difference, in some cases becoming less efficient. And that's with billions of R&D. Compare a modern day Tesla with what was available just 10 years ago and it's a totally different ball game with probably 0.1% of total R&D spend.

Just to add not an electric car/technology fan in general but this topic interests me and there seems a lot of unfair/unfounded electric bashing going on. I'm particularly interested as this is the first technological breakthrough we've seen in a long run that solves a problem by making something simpler and not more stupidly complex. If the car was a new invention today nobody would think the best solution was ICE, exhausts, turbos, ancilaries, alternator, starter motor, etc when you can just have two electric motors and a battery pack! I was impressed by Musk's unveiling of the Tesla 3 and for that reason got on the waiting list for the Tesla 3...but since I don't like throwing things away/spending money I will not be purchasing it (unless can be sold for profit with all the hype) and will instead attempt to keep the old W124 going for another 30 years at a fraction of the financial/environmental cost :)

That said if the Tesla 3 lives up to what is claimed (and don't see why it shouldnt) I don't see why anyone would want a new C220CDi or whatever it's called now a days for a similar outlay. It will have a lesser range than a C class (not a proboem for 90% of buyers) and will absolutely outclass it in every other regard.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The issue is charging infrastructure.

Highly densely populated areas have no where to charge the cars.

Fast charging solves some of the issue, but at the expense of battery longevity. Electrical infrastructure can only support so many fast charging stations.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)

It would be okay if we could all get a specially tuned-up petrol car where every nut bolt and washers has been checked for the sole benefit of boosting mpg! According to this web page: http://www.nextgreencar.com/mpg/make-model/honda/jazz/
the best mpg that can be achieved on a Jaxx is 61 on the 1.3 CVT so this test run was pretty remarkable. Funny that it show the CVT does better than a manual.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
There are, and will be many, that can't stretch a lead from their home to the car.
City centre 16th floor apartment springs to mind, "drop the charging lead out the window Luv".

Then imagine all car parks provide charging facilities, they will have to redesign the plug point to stop people bashing their hips on the plug.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There are, and will be many, that can't stretch a lead from their home to the car.
City centre 16th floor apartment springs to mind, "drop the charging lead out the window Luv".

Then imagine all car parks provide charging facilities, they will have to redesign the plug point to stop people bashing their hips on the plug.
We don't have petrol pumps on our driveways - if they overcome the charging times neither of those become issues.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the only car available to purchase in 2040 is electric, we'll need charger points everywhere - on every house drive/garage and street/car-parks etc. They'll probably plan it very well and start consulting in March (of 2041)!

Seriously though, wasn't there an idea floated to put charging cables under the road surface so the car would charge as it drove along? Seems like a good idea but I wonder if it's too much like "perpetual motion"...

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
We don't have petrol pumps on our driveways - if they overcome the charging times neither of those become issues.

A general view of their usage is for an overnight charge ready for the next days commute.
Super chargers will provide a much higher current to overcome the slow charge and wait scenario.
Until they can run these things on minimal power usage (from the battery) there is either a long charge time or high charge current needed. Either don't work too well in a drive in drive out situation, as we do to re fuel now.

Last edited:
OP
umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
If the only car available to purchase in 2040 is electric, we'll need charger points everywhere - on every house drive/garage and street/car-parks etc. They'll probably plan it very well and start consulting in March (of 2041)!

Seriously though, wasn't there an idea floated to put charging cables under the road surface so the car would charge as it drove along? Seems like a good idea but I wonder if it's too much like "perpetual motion"...

Contactless wallet draining.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A general view of their usage is for an overnight charge ready for the next days commute.
Super chargers will provide a much higher current to overcome the slow charge and wait scenario.
Until they can run these things on minimal power usage (from the battery) there is either a long charge time or high current charge needed. Either don't work too well in a drive in drive out situation, as we do to re fuel now.

SUpercapacitor technology is advancing rapidly. Supercapacitors can charge near instantly (as long as the cables don't melt!)

If the supercaps become feasible then charging infrastructure can be limited to just charging forecourts.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Until they can run these things on minimal power usage (from the battery) there is either a long charge time or high current charge needed. Either don't work too well in a drive in drive out situation, as we do to re fuel now.

But that's effectively what most people want although in another we can't know what further charge-up improvements there might be over the next 23 years. I guess also, that lessons have to be learned - e.g.: when you go visiting to somewhere 2-4 hours away you'll learn to plug it in to charge as soon as you arrive - before you even ring the doorbell!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
As a kid I had scaelextrix, with the track with the silver lines up the middle that the car sat on and was powered. Just transfer it to real roads.

I also used to think going North was uphill, south was downhill :shock::shock:

Sometimes we overthink things and forget to learn from the past :shock::shock:

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
By the time 2040 gets here then surely all cars will be fully autonomous, therefore no need for a heavy steel structure, but lightweight plastic aerodynamic shells.
Maybe we wont own cars anymore but around the corner will be a carpark full of cars, you just call one up, it arrives at your door and off you go as a pay per mile.. Roads could be clear of parking clutter, traffic jams will be a thing of the pasts as traffic can keep moving, hugely reduced accident rate (other than apple cars who will still refuse to communicate with other systems... haha)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I have nothing against electric cars, they just don't seem to do what it says on the can.........And they are far too expensive at the moment, I think I will wait till 2055 when they come down in price :D
I remember the trolley buses were electric in the old days in New Zealand, though this will mean putting more power poles and cables up over the roads :(.........Oh and I also remember the drivers having to get out and reconnecting the poles on numerous occasions o_O

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have nothing against electric cars, they just don't seem to do what it says on the can.........And they are far too expensive at the moment, I think I will wait till 2055 when they come down in price :D
I remember the trolley buses were electric in the old days in New Zealand, though this will mean putting more power poles and cables up over the roads :(.........Oh and I also remember the drivers having to get out and reconnecting the poles on numerous occasions o_O
Ah yes - the good old 'Farmers Free Bus' :)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom