floppy headlight wiper!

Simon Wigley

Reaction score
Any ideas:

w124 Headlight wiper - it hangs off the light cluster & doesn't seem to want to work - is there some sort of drive shaft unger the light that becomes seized or breaks?

Anyone ever had any experience of fixing one?

S

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Any ideas:

w124 Headlight wiper - it hangs off the light cluster & doesn't seem to want to work - is there some sort of drive shaft unger the light that becomes seized or breaks?

S

Hi Simon, its normally the motor that goes on these, does the shaft move when you turn them on

OP
S

Simon Wigley

Reaction score
I'm not sure, I only just got the car: I'lll get someone to activate it whist I watch what happens.

Any ideas where it's best to get a replacement - do Euro car parts sell them?

Is it just a headlight out job to replace?

thanks

S

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Any ideas:

S
Hi Simon, as Malcolm has already pointed out, the wiper motor is prone to failure. However, you say the wiper arm is hanging off the cluster. The wiper arm has a (taper-spline fit onto the shaft). Sometimes they slip on this taper fit and become jammed against the bumper. Start by removing the wiper arm (lift the plastic cap at the end of the arm and remove the nut). Then test the wipers and see if the shaft turns. If it does not turn, replace the motor. If it does turn then refit the wiper arm in the parked position.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom