Ford's Scrappage Scheme

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Unlike others, this is Diesel AND Petrol

With the Ford ‘New For Old’ Scrappage Scheme you can save between £2,000 and £4,950 when you trade in your old vehicle for a new Ford car^ and between £3,650 and £7,000^^ off a new commercial vehicle.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-a..._ENGINE_TYPE&***id=CJrIysbq6tUCFSsq0wod-Z8Meg

2017_07_ScrappageScheme_LC_Forold_Local_GUXBBDPromo_2160x720_en_GB.jpg.renditions.extra-large.jpeg

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
can you replace your vehicle with a new one for £4950? no. and THATS the reason people drive older cars. they cant afford anything better!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
You'd be surprised how many can change their cars when there's a scrappage scheme.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
This is a great piece of marketing by Ford to get a few more sales....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
According to the interview I heard this morning, it's all to improve air quality, you bunch of pessimists you!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The last time scrappage was around my FIL sent an absolutely mint Honda into the system it was an unmarked gem and a complete waste.
My idea of a scrappage scheme would be targeting market value payments for gas guzzling big dustbins or a few M.O.T changes might enable this at much less cost to the taxpayer.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The last time scrappage was around my FIL sent an absolutely mint Honda into the system it was an unmarked gem and a complete waste.
My idea of a scrappage scheme would be targeting market value payments for gas guzzling big dustbins or a few M.O.T changes might enable this at much less cost to the taxpayer.
So you'd like to determine what people should drive on the basis of your preconceptions?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
If it helps get rid of the mass of old bangers and pre Euro 4 Diesels then great

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it helps get rid of the mass of old bangers and pre Euro 4 Diesels then great
fair point, but where will the 'classic' cars come from then? imagine if all old minis, for example, had been scrapped in the 2009 scheme. or all the 124's, 109's, 202s etc. would that REALLY have made the world a better place?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
fair point, but where will the 'classic' cars come from then? imagine if all old minis, for example, had been scrapped in the 2009 scheme. or all the 124's, 109's, 202s etc. would that REALLY have made the world a better place?

Not the point, they just want rid of the most polluting cars so maybe E300 TD or maybe crappy old micras / Polos etc.

People will finance so they will make the money back that way and up their sales

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but again, how many E300TDs are there around, or older micras/polos etc? and lets be realistic for a minute, if (as happened in the 2009 scrappage scheme) these cars either skyrocket in price (I looked at cars that I could pick up for £200 before the scrappage selling for £900 once it was introduced) or get scrapped, where would your average (I mean average round here, parents on not much over minimum wage, their own job on similar wage, if they have one) teenager/first time car owner be able to get an affordable means of transport? not everyone (myself included) has the finances OR the availability of finance to help them fund their purchase of a brand new car.
had I still had my 203 I would have qualified for this scheme and ill use myself as an example. I'm hunting for better work, have a 16 hour contract on minimum wage. I changed the 203 for the Mondeo as the 203 was too small for family trips (weekly). now the new equivalent of my car is around £22k. 16 hours per week at minimum wage is £120 per week. do you seriously thing Ford will give me a finance deal to buy a new Mondeo on those terms?
and before anyone says that I'm a bad example, I know of a LOT of people who are on even less stable wages than me (Zero hours contracts etc) and plenty more who are only offered part time, are well qualified, but companies refuse to give them a start because they haven't done something for a while (again like myself in the motor trade)
on paper its a good idea, but only to those that can afford the cars in some form or another in the first place. and remember the next 124 will be the 210 that has been kept from rusting away. in fact they might be worth more in time as they will be much rarer.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
So you'd like to determine what people should drive on the basis of your preconceptions?

I'm guessing he probably just doesn't want the taxpayer to pay for people to get new cars when they have perfectly suitable older ones in use.

Funny how people are against the welfare state/NHS/Education system when it's trying to help those in need (allbeit inefficiently) yet when it's to subsidise the relatively well off to buy new cars/ houses (help to buy scheme) it's quite OK.

People should drive what they can afford and if environmental impacts are important then new cars should have a 100% tax to cover the energy/pollution caused by their production, and not a subsidy.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
But I don't want to get in debt. I own my car free and clear. I'd accept having to fit a device to cut nox emissions and I will likely go hybrid when it is time to change but until then scrappage is pointless.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
but again, how many E300TDs are there around, or older micras/polos etc? and lets be realistic for a minute, if (as happened in the 2009 scrappage scheme) these cars either skyrocket in price (I looked at cars that I could pick up for £200 before the scrappage selling for £900 once it was introduced) or get scrapped, where would your average (I mean average round here, parents on not much over minimum wage, their own job on similar wage, if they have one) teenager/first time car owner be able to get an affordable means of transport? not everyone (myself included) has the finances OR the availability of finance to help them fund their purchase of a brand new car.
on paper its a good idea, but only to those that can afford the cars in some form or another in the first place. and remember the next 124 will be the 210 that has been kept from rusting away. in fact they might be worth more in time as they will be much rarer.

I'm doing my bit to help the environment, the 210 is seventeen years old and I'm trying to keep it running as long as possible hopefully for the foreseeable future repair costs allowing

I've just found some serious rot that I'm attending to in the opposite rear well to where the spare sits, ordered some galvanised plate to sort it out which should be fun especially as it will need cutting and shaping, I'm not having it welded as it's not structural and it will be screwed together, luckily it's all hidden behind the bumper so cosmetics not an issue

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom