Front Tyres Replacement Advise

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
Good Morning,
I have a 2013 w246 B class that needs 2 new fronts. Currently Bridgestone Potenza 225/40/18 as standard that came with the car.
My questions are,
1 - do i have to replace them with Like for Like?
2 - can i go for a different brand?
3 - as long as the tyre ratings are the same do they need to be run flats?

Anybody out that has replaced their fronts i would really appreciate any advice,
even if your experience is with a slightly different model.

Cheers

Umberto

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
OP
bertg

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
No

Yes

No

You should put the rears on the front and new tyres on the rear

I appreciate the reply however, not the advise i was looking for, as it's a front wheel drive car surely the new tyres should go on the front.

Cheers anyway.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not the advise i was looking for.

So what advice were you looking for?

as it's a front wheel drive car surely the new tyres should go on the front.

No, the tyres with the deeper tread should be fitted to the rear (provided the car has the same size all round), this is to do with stability in wet conditions particularly under braking.

P.S I sold wheels and tyres for 6 years so have a good understanding of manufacturer recommendations for correct fitting

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
....., as it's a front wheel drive car surely the new tyres should go on the front.

Cheers anyway.

Many tyre bays e.g. Costco will only fit your new tyres to the rear irrespective of FWD, RWD or All wheel drive & do as JBell says and put the rears on the front ..... assuming the same size.

OP
bertg

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
So what advice were you looking for?

No, the tyres with the deeper tread should be fitted to the rear (provided the car has the same size all round), this is to do with stability in wet conditions particularly under braking.

P.S I sold wheels and tyres for 6 years so have a good understanding of manufacturer recommendations for correct fitting

I guess what i wanted to know is, if i replaced the fronts with a different brand do they also have to be Run Flats. I believe the rears are the same size and spec as the fronts, however i did get 1 of the rears repaired about a year ago which is why i'm a bit scared of putting it on the front.
I do appreciate the advise given so far.

Cheers

Umberto

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess what i wanted to know is, if i replaced the fronts with a different brand do they also have to be Run Flats.

They don't have to be but it is advisable to keep all 4 run flat. I would look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 which will be a much better tyre than the Bridgestone in every way

I did get 1 of the rears repaired about a year ago which is why i'm a bit scared of putting it on the front.

Don't be, it will be fine, if something was going to happen it would have already

Last edited:

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
The logic behind "new tyres on the rear" holds even more so on FWD cars.

A rear-end skid is almost impossible to control with FWD, so you want to avoid it happening by giving the rear end more grip..

All things being equal, obviously..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The logic behind "new tyres on the rear" holds even more so on FWD cars.

A rear-end skid is almost impossible to control with FWD, so you want to avoid it happening by giving the rear end more grip..

All things being equal, obviously..

Really? In a FWD its easy to control - just feed in the power and keep the front wheels pointing where you want to go. The big thing is not to lift off the throttle until its all straight.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Really? In a FWD its easy to control - just feed in the power and keep the front wheels pointing where you want to go. The big thing is not to lift off the throttle until its all straight.

If the front wheels are going in the intended direction the back wheels have to follow them ;)

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Lostkiwi,

That's all very well, but it's a natural human reaction to ease-up in the accelerator when the back-end steps out of line (it's prertty scarry after-all, and 99.99% of drivers will do it). In doing so (on a FWD car) you're off backwards through the hedge...

Abviously, in a proper RWD car, easing-up normally brings the back end back under control.

"Wrong wheel drive" is all very well for packaging efficiency, but it has more than it's fair share of handling limitations.

Emilysdad,
The rear wheels will have no interest in following the fronts around a corner if they have significantly less grip..

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

"Wrong wheel drive" is all very well for packaging efficiency, but it has more than it's fair share of handling limitations.

But for most people in most FWD cars they're (more) idiot proof ;)

OP
bertg

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
But for most people in most FWD cars they're (more) idiot proof ;)
Goodness me, i only needed some advise on replacing the fronts on my 2013 B Class. Someone recommended the Goodyears, has anyone got an opinion on the Continental's?

Cheers

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Goodness me, i only needed some advise on replacing the fronts on my 2013 B Class. Someone recommended the Goodyears, has anyone got an opinion on the Continental's?

Cheers

Ahh well, threads never ever go in the direction they were originally intended. Certainly not by page 2!

Go to the website that JBell mentioned- Camskill- and look up the correct size of tyre. Compare their wet grip, noise and efficiency ratings and see which best suits your budget.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Go to the website that JBell mentioned- Camskill- and look up the correct size of tyre. Compare their wet grip, noise and efficiency ratings and see which best suits your budget.

Just click the link, it is a 225/40 R18 Run flat MO spec tyre

Need the load rating really (something like 88W on the side wall)

Last edited:
OP
bertg

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
Just click the link, it is a 225/40 R18 Run flat MO spec tyre

Need the load rating really (something like 88W on the side wall)

Brilliant stuff, thanks everyone for the advise. Today i learnt something. Let's see what MB say when i take it in for a service.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Brilliant stuff, thanks everyone for the advise. Today i learnt something. Let's see what MB say when i take it in for a service.

Get the load rating and I will look for the best tyre

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom