Fuel Pump Relay, Electircs Issue

James_H

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL 1989
Hi All,

I need some advise\expertise if you could please.

FYI: I know very little about mechanics but am learning :)

I have a 300SL and have faced continuing issues with the fuse for the fuel pump relay blowing - the ABS light comes on too. Naturally I then faces issues starting the engine.

I had the issue first diagnosed and fixed (replacing the fuse) a year or so ago and thought it was due to a jump start blowing the fuse. There have been a few instances of the fuse going since and I haven't jump started the car. In fact, I noticed a while jump starting once while the fuse was blown, the fuel pump worked... I assume something is bypassed when jumping for the pump to work?

So two things:

1) I've looked on the forum about this issue can't see a detailed description of how to replace the fuse myself... Is this something an amateur can do? If so how? I saw a post saying it's behind then glove box... I need a lot more detail than that :)
2) Being that it is frequently blowing, every few months, I assume there could be an underlying electrics problem? Any ideas?

Any help, advice or words of experience is very welcomed and I thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,
James

MB 300SL 1989

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I can say that if you have a fuse thet keeps blowing you need help.before it gets worse and sets on fire. Now you dont want that do you .You need a good auto electric garage to check it out for you .

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
That fuse is NOT for the fuel pump, it's the fuse in the voltage protection relay.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom