1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Spares] Gearshift Handle Top Badges - AMG and Roadster

Discussion in 'Spares for Sale and Wanted' started by GLK, Sep 2, 2018.

1. GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A200 Avantgarde Special Edition Sports Coupé • C169
    I have these two tops for sale - AMG & Blue Laurel Roadster designs.

These will fit many models, but please note: these are just under 29mm in diameter, some gearshift knobs are 25mm, so please double-check.

Of course, they can be trimmed (I have done two), or the holding rings can be widened to accommodate 29mm.

I'd be happy to provide detailed instructions as to how to get the handle apart, if required.

£15 each delivered, or £27 if you want both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it looks on a gearshift (not for sale, just a sample):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been asked a couple of times, so perhaps it's better to put it here:

Almost all modern Mercedes gearshift knobs are essentially the same.

If yours looks similar to the one pictured above, then you can fit the new badge.

You might have to widen the holding ring from 25.8mm to 28.8mm - I have done that, and it only requires a steady hand and some precision - nothing complicated.

Alternatively, the badge itself can be trimmed down to size - depends what process you're more comfortable with.

To take the gearshift handle knob apart, you would need a glue gun, and a [dent removal type] lever handle, something like this:

[​IMG]

I. The top badge is fixed with a double-sided tape, and its removal is the only part of the process, that's not immediately apparent.

[​IMG]

II. Apply a drop of hot glue on top of the badge, and affix the lever, making sure it is upright. Once dry, pull up, steadily and without twisting, until the badge disengage. Once removed from the gear knob, and the glue is at the room temperature, a few drops of pure ethyl alcohol will lift the hot glue residue without any trace whatsoever (give it a second or two to react, carefully separate the lever from the badge, then roll the glue off with your finger - do not use any tools).

III. After that, it is pretty straightforward: unscrew the central screw, remove the holding ring.
    If you only want to replace the badge, nothing further is required.

However, you can proceed further disassembling the handle, should you wish to update the leather, or 'metal' parts - these are actually a metal-coated plastic - please keep that in mind when handling them.

Here's my gearshift handle after leather re-trim:
    [​IMG]

Here's a better picture with all the bits, including the holding ring:

[​IMG]

Holding ring painted after widening, and badges lacquered (same types, but not the ones I have for sale now - these were spares).

[​IMG]

Here's another pic of the gearshift parts, gives a better idea of what its components look like half-assembled:

[​IMG]

Hope this is useful :)

mercmancdi, Blobcat and carlls like this.
  2. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Price dropped to only £12 each, or £20 for both.

3. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Still available

4. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
  5. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Still available

6. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
    I have 07 E320 I am going to check tomorrow what mines like I would be interested in the star one , will you hold it until I check
    mine out , unless you know it fits mine ok .

GLK likes this.
  7. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I don't know for sure, but as long as yours is smaller, you can either trim the badge or trim the surround ring - as above.
    Or, it could be the 29mm type, then it's a direct fit.

Definitely can wait - I had these for a while, and there's no rush. I always end up with spares from my projects / mods ...

Here's what my original gearshift looked like with the same roadster star:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My original badge was 25mm, so this above is trimmed.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  8. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
    O
    Ok will check mine tomorrow.

GLK likes this.
  9. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Tell me
    Ok how do I change the badge ,will mine come out without a glue gun if I gently heated the badge with a heat gun and made small hole in middle of mine would I be able to prise it out from the middle with a small screwdriver . My badge overall including the chrome ring is 30mm

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    It is much easier to remove the badge as I described above, otherwise you're risking damaging the holding ring.

You need the diameter without the chrome ring, but I'm pretty sure it will be 25mm, so the new badge (or the ring) would have to be trimmed.

11. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Come to think of it, it would have to be the badge, that gets the trimming - chrome ring won't look right widened, as you lose the coating on the inner curve.

As I said - both samples above were trimmed, and I think look good ;)

12. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Don’t know which is best one car is blue But like the AMG 674AFA84-2E11-44E9-BCFB-B90C524B5C0B.jpeg F5839193-CC18-42F0-8307-0670CF728BE1.jpeg

Wighty and GLK like this.
  13. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    That looks nice, both of them.

May I suggest removing the ring, and polishing out (and filling up with something like JB Weld) the damage, and re-painting it in black gloss - it would look fantastic with the AMG badge, alternatively paint it chrome / silver to go with the blue roadster badge.

Whilst the ring is out, you might want to touch-up the leather too - it'll give you a 'like new' feel and look.

PS That's exactly why I advised against using a small screwdriver, etc to remove the existing badge - using the hot glue method is a bit more work, but leaves the holding ring undamaged.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  14. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    The Son in law brought up glue gun and removed mine ,not much holding it just a bit of dirty foam , it could have fell out lol. alls fine it’s the pictures were taken at almost dark with flash on. The chrome ring is
    good but needs polished as it’s scored with 11 yrs of wear , the leather comes up like new when cleaned it’s just photos taken while unfinished,
    None are fitted as yet they were just set in to see which I liked best , my own is set back in for now till daylight
    Until I decide. I see the mark you see
    on the ring ,that’s a wipe away bit of the dirty glue. Lol. I will send we photo when finished.
    Cheers.

GLK likes this.
  15. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:

16. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Ah, good - because it looks like a 'prying up with a metal tool' kind of damage, in the pictures.

I had the ring and quite few other bits, hydrographically printed (carbon dip) - see the last photo in the original post.

The one on the foreground is my gearshift handle, with a perforated leather and carbon top and bottom.

I had four different ones, to chose from / play with. I refurbed all of them, kept one, sold others. Those two badges are the last remaining bits from that project. Well, almost - I do have a new standard black/chrome star badge as a spare, which I'm keeping ;)

With the "metal" ring - it's not actually metal, it's coated plastic, so keep that in mind, when working with it - the top layer is either chrome or matt aluminium (depending on the model trim), the bottom layer is copper-based (so don't polish too much off, or you end up with a red metal showing through.

The very first gearshift I took apart (a bargain off eBay, bought for testing purposes), I didn't know how to, and couldn't find any guides, so did pry the ring open and damaged it. Thankfully it is easily repairable (that's the one that became carbon):

[​IMG]

mercmancdi likes this.
  17. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    The son in law has the ring away to
    night shift he’s going to spray it with as close to chrome finish as he can.
    I am a fan of chrome. Lol.

GLK likes this.
  18. OP
    GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Sounds like a professional job - that's great: I didn't have that option.

I too decided on a chrome ring for my handle, in the end - it matches the other (OEM) chrome bits, and looks good with the star badge:

[​IMG]

mercmancdi likes this.