GLC - bald front tyres after 11.5k miles

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
So as the title of this post might suggest, I'm rather unhappy at the fact I have two front tyres that will need replacing very soon if not already. The car was new in March 2016. It has run flats which have been kept correctly inflated since then. I know people might suggest tracking but the car tracks a straight line, no pull to left or right. It was in for its first service back in March.

Before I go to the dealer and complain, does anyone think I have a case? If the tracking is out, I'd expect the service to have picked that up. The wear is worse on the outside edges of both tyres. This made me wonder if the full lock issue you when manoeuvring at low speed might be to blame. It's as if the drive from the back wheels is to fast for the front wheels and there is a lack of traction on the front tyres. I understand this is common on many 4wd vehicles. But it's well known on the GLC.

Any thoughts welcome!!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
most modern cars round off the outer edges of the tyres due to lower profile tyres and heavier cars. tyre wear can also vary from area to area (road surfaces where I grew up have more 'grip' than local to me now) and driver to driver (for example dad still lives where I grew up, he owned my 203 before me, got 10k miles from the rear tyres. I got the car, drive harder than he does, yet got 20k miles. historically I always got LESS miles from the tyres than he did)

as its 4x4 then yes it could be normal. if its ONLY the outer edges that are bald and plenty of tread left on the rest, then id personally be swapping the wheels front to rear more often in future. 4x4s have always been known to be heavy on tyres, especially permanent 4x4.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
most modern cars round off the outer edges of the tyres due to lower profile tyres and heavier cars. tyre wear can also vary from area to area (road surfaces where I grew up have more 'grip' than local to me now) and driver to driver (for example dad still lives where I grew up, he owned my 203 before me, got 10k miles from the rear tyres. I got the car, drive harder than he does, yet got 20k miles. historically I always got LESS miles from the tyres than he did)

as its 4x4 then yes it could be normal. if its ONLY the outer edges that are bald and plenty of tread left on the rest, then id personally be swapping the wheels front to rear more often in future. 4x4s have always been known to be heavy on tyres, especially permanent 4x4.
If 3PTS was a resident of Milton Keynes for example his tyre wear would have been a lot more severe that, what with their grid road system and the hundreds of roundabouts there. :eek:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Mercs wear the outer edges on their front tyres due to the way they turn the wheels, they tilt them more than every other brand.

Complaining due to only getting 11.5k out of a pair of tyres will be futile. Run Flats wear more anyway due to their extremely stiff side walls so there is less flex in the carcass so they scrub tread more.

It may be worth changing to normal tyres and putting a can of goop in the boot.

If you are changing the fronts then the new tyres should be put on the rear and the rears moved to the front

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Could this be tyre wear due to the "juddering" issue?

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
Could this be tyre wear due to the "juddering" issue?

Well that is what I am wondering. A colleague of my wife's bought a GLC earlier this year. He was so concerned about the juddering that he threatened to cancel his order. The dealership offered him a pair of winter tyres. Not sure why, but it worked, he has the car now....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A couple of notes...
The GLC is known to have an issue with tyres 'juddering' and scrubbing at low speed on tight turns. This could well be a part of that issue.
The vehicle driving in a straight line does not indicate tracking is good. It just indicates it the same on both sides. You can have the vehicle drive happily in a straight line and still have poor alignment (my SL is toeing in at the front but still drives straight - the adjusters are seized and will need replacing).
A service does not normally include tracking. Check the service book to see what is checked. I would be surprised if wheel alignment is looked at.
Depending on the tyre and driving habits 11500 miles may not be unreasonable.
Contrary to what Pete says 4x4s are not often not significantly worse than 2WD cars. I've had Audi Quattros, Range Rovers and Defenders and they were never noticeably worse (the Defender and RRC were both able to get upwards of 40k miles on a set of tyres!). The A8 (4.2 Quattro Sport) I had for 100k miles would regularly get 20-30k from a set (admittedly predominantly motorway miles).

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A couple of notes...
The GLC is known to have an issue with tyres 'juddering' and scrubbing at low speed on tight turns. This could well be a part of that issue.
The vehicle driving in a straight line does not indicate tracking is good. It just indicates it the same on both sides. You can have the vehicle drive happily in a straight line and still have poor alignment (my SL is toeing in at the front but still drives straight - the adjusters are seized and will need replacing).
A service does not normally include tracking. Check the service book to see what is checked. I would be surprised if wheel alignment is looked at.
Depending on the tyre and driving habits 11500 miles may not be unreasonable.
Contrary to what Pete says 4x4s are not often not significantly worse than 2WD cars. I've had Audi Quattros, Range Rovers and Defenders and they were never noticeably worse (the Defender and RRC were both able to get upwards of 40k miles on a set of tyres!). The A8 (4.2 Quattro Sport) I had for 100k miles would regularly get 20-30k from a set (admittedly predominantly motorway miles).

i think the tyre fitted to the vehicle can also make a difference. i know the Sierras, for example, would usually eat all 4 tyres at pretty much the same rate, rather than needing 1 axle replaced at 1 point, and the other pair replaced at a later date (next service etc) like the 2wd sierras did. Granadas were likewise.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Checking the state of the existing tyres, they should indicate any off set easily seen and checked. Also I state that the make is not shown or who/when they were fitted.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Checking the state of the existing tyres, they should indicate any off set easily seen and checked. Also I state that the make is not shown or who/when they were fitted.

I think theyre the original factory fit tyres Malcolm.

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
I think theyre the original factory fit tyres Malcolm.

Yes, original factory tyres. Apologies I forgot that bit

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
Well thanks for all your comments, everyone.

I went into the dealer on Saturdays. Sales guy told me they couldn't do anything about it. Suggested I talk to service dept. Tried them yesterday but couldn't get to talk to anyone. Bit the bullet today and ordered some new non-run flats to be fitted on Saturday. Getting the tracking checked too. Will see how the new ones fair.

Any suggestions on the can of gunk to go in the boot just in case?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I thought MB was giving all GLC owners a set of All-Season tyres?

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
I thought MB was giving all GLC owners a set of All-Season tyres?

In that case, I'll be on the phone to them tonorrow

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Any suggestions on the can of gunk to go in the boot just in case?

Holts Tyreweld, Amazon sell it.

Put the new tyres on the rear and move the rears to the front, tracking should be done after tyres have been fitted

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you change from runflats to non-runflats change all 4. The runflats will have a significantly different handling characteristic as they have a much stiffer sidewall.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

Put the new tyres on the rear and move the rears to the front, tracking should be done after tyres have been fitted

Can you do that on a GLC? Does it not have staggered sized tyres? Genuine question as I don't know.

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
Can you do that on a GLC? Does it not have staggered sized tyres? Genuine question as I don't know.

Same back and front. The 20's are 255/45/R20 101W.

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d

A couple of people have said put the back on the front etc. What's the reason for this?

And I'm going to talk to the dealer. If I need to replace all 4 then it's going to cost be a bit....and I'd be annoyed at that with a car that is just over 12 months old

Top Bottom