GLC - bald front tyres after 11.5k miles

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
You are free to "improve" or "ruin" your car as you see fit and I'd defend your right to do so. Your comment just reinforces that it's fashion based rather than engineering based. I very much like the look of a good alloy wheel, I also value my comfort and fuel economy as well and as I can't see the wheels whilst sitting in the drivers seat it's more about my comfort than looks to me. It also appears because of the fashion that the tyres are not lasting that long...

Phew, I'm glad we still live in a free society!

The comfort of the ride is actually very good. Maybe I'm lucky not having any back problems. My wife does and yet she doesn't complain.

Let's face it, if I was choosing a car on purely functional requirements I wouldn't have chosen a GLC, or even an MB for that matter. My point is that I and I alone have the right to choose the car I want and based on whatever specification I like. If there is a problem with tyre sizes such as these on this particular car then the manufacturer should not offer them. The fact that they are but don't acknowledge the issue, tells me that they are more concerned about taking my money and running than they are ensuring the vehicle I purchase is reliable and problem free!

Now is that worse than choosing a car based on looks? I think so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Phew, I'm glad we still live in a free society!

The comfort of the ride is actually very good. Maybe I'm lucky not having any back problems. My wife does and yet she doesn't complain.

Let's face it, if I was choosing a car on purely functional requirements I wouldn't have chosen a GLC, or even an MB for that matter. My point is that I and I alone have the right to choose the car I want and based on whatever specification I like. If there is a problem with tyre sizes such as these on this particular car then the manufacturer should not offer them. The fact that they are but don't acknowledge the issue, tells me that they are more concerned about taking my money and running than they are ensuring the vehicle I purchase is reliable and problem free!

Now is that worse than choosing a car based on looks? I think so!

There isn't a problem with the tyres it's just that they're a compromise and the comfort and in your case tyre life has been compromised because of your fashion choice. Everything we do is a compromise. Perhaps if MB and the like made it clearer from the get go the compromises owners would be less upset later on.

Peter Wheeler (or TVR fame) used to say he'd spend hundreds of thousands getting the cars to handle perfectly and then owners would spend £5,000 ruining the handling by changing the wheels

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
There isn't a problem with the tyres it's just that they're a compromise and the comfort and in your case tyre life has been compromised because of your fashion choice. Everything we do is a compromise. Perhaps if MB and the like made it clearer from the get go the compromises owners would be less upset later on.

Peter Wheeler (or TVR fame) used to say he'd spend hundreds of thousands getting the cars to handle perfectly and then owners would spend £5,000 ruining the handling by changing the wheels

I agree with that point! The dealer or manufacturer should point out that because a bigger wheel option is more expensive it doesn't necessarily mean that it's better or more durable. For the record I think the issue is reported even on the standard issue wheel / tyre sizes. So it's across the range and back to MB to sort out for me.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I agree with that point! The dealer or manufacturer should point out that because a bigger wheel option is more expensive it doesn't necessarily mean that it's better or more durable. For the record I think the issue is reported even on the standard issue wheel / tyre sizes. So it's across the range and back to MB to sort out for me.

The size is only made for 1 makes and ship

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
So, just spoke to MB again. They've agreed to replace the tyres with All Weather tyres free of charge. They've been ordered and should be on the car soon.

This doesn't fix the problem and if it isn't fixed in the future then we won't be buying another one.

Thanks for all of your comments! I've learnt a thing or two that I didn't know before.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So, just spoke to MB again. They've agreed to replace the tyres with All Weather tyres free of charge. They've been ordered and should be on the car soon.

This doesn't fix the problem and if it isn't fixed in the future then we won't be buying another one.

Thanks for all of your comments! I've learnt a thing or two that I didn't know before.

Decent result.
Well done.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Glad they have a solution but there is actually no problem with wear rates on them

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It evens up the wear across both axles.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Good result getting the tyres replaced by MB.

Just be aware that the shuddering/ juddering/ wheel skip is most likely a driveline issue. As Lostkiwi said, very much like a stuck diff.

Had exactly that symptom with my GF's XC60 and after much to-ing & fro-ing they agreed there was an issue (and a service bulletin apparently!), due to issues with an oil feed in rear axle, and also the "all wheel drive unit" (Volvo speak for transfer box I guess), which got replaced, outside warranty period by the time they finally listened to what was happening & when!

Different tyres may mask it, but it could still cause premature driveline wear... be prepared to bring this to MB's attention in future should you experience issues in that department!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I guess you have thoroughly read the post where it becomes clear its a suspension fault due to terrible engineering where they bodged it up for RHD having failed to consider RHD markets when speccing the drivetrain in the first place.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/temperature-related-juddering-on-glc.157957/

the letter from Merc to garages is on page 8

" Due to the positioning of the front axle differential on right hand drive cars, the steering position differs very slightly compared to left hand drive models. When the steering is on full lock this steering angle difference can result in the front tyre skipping sensation. This is more pronounced during cold weather and when larger wheels and low profile tyres are fitted. "

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
in simple terms, all the do is flip the steering rack over (yes i know its not as simple as that) and stick the steering column at the other side of the car. im 99.9% certain that things like McPherson struts, lower wishbones etc are all standard irrespective of which side the steering wheel goes. apart from the holes for the steering column, the bodyshell will be identical, so i dont see how swapping to RHD can 'bodge' ANYTHING up. if it was purely because the steering wheel swapped sides, Land Rover should have had NIGHTMARES with the series 1 70+ years ago when they made them LHD!!!!! but as yet, ive never heard of any issues!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
did you read merc's own admission?

the diff gets in the way, so they bodge nasty suspension arms on RHD cars... this impacts the steering geometry and handling characteristics. its happened lots over the years on many brands, often only giving restricted turning circle or minor handling changes on cars where the steering wheel's subsequently fitted on the wrong side.

this fault doesn't exist on ANY LHD GLC's, because LHD get a diff where the engineers meant to place it and the steering system and suspension arms fitted.

On quite a few of the early posts many state Porches' suffer the same issue.... but oddly (or rather obviously) BMW either didn't make a 4x4 in RHD or later engineered their cars so it all fits for LHD or RHD (hence the very recent explosion of X drive models available in the UK across the different series ranges of 3 5 and 7)

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
no i didnt read their own admission, mainly because i have other things to worry about. as for the issue being the diff, i can only assume that this is the diff on the front axle which, unless theyre using a 'beam axle' type set-up like a series land rover could be very easily relocated to the opposite side of the car or mounted centrally. i cant comment with too much depth as ive not seen under one so dont know what the set up is that theyre using, but im assuming a diff mounted somewhere with FWD driveshafts like a regular FWD car for the front end. how this means 'bodging' the arms for RHD vehicles ive no idea as theoretically there should be no requirement whichever set up is used to alter the suspension arms unless the entire drivetrain is offset to 1 side. or even easier (im guessing again at the set up) would be to locate the steering rack in FRONT of the hubs, rather than behind them. that way all the steering etc runs above the diff line rather than through it, clearing whichever side the wheel is at.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I think I'd also have to ask the question on why it's just the GLC that's the problem child here, Mecedes use the same drivetrain I suspect for the GLE,GLS and if it doesn't use the same then why change a design that's known to work,

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If placement of the differential causes an issue with suspension it may not be an issue on vehicles with a wider chassis (GLE/GLS).
Pete, moving the rack creates a lot of additional challenges in maintaining steering angles, bumpsteer, and clearances to tyre. If the rack is moved to the front the drop arms (from the hub to track rod) need to go outwards (away from the vehicle centreline) from the hub as opposed to coming inwards from the hub. It would probably require a complete redesign of the front end and add significantly to the costs of the vehicle (whole new set of parts, more testing, re-crash test etc just for RHD). If you were to go to that much effort it would be better to redesign so all parts are common. If the diff location is indeed the issue then it would appear the MB engineers didn't design it correctly in the first place to suit global markets. Unlikely to be a mistake they will repeat.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Thinking on this a little more I'm sure I remember this being the whole reason the UK never got 4matic in anything but the ML/GL where as pretty much everywhere else did get it

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quite often the issue is the steering column and differential compete for the same space. As its all integrated into the transfer box and in some cases engine sump castings its not a trivial matter to move. Additionally you usually find the transfer box output shaft is offset tot he centreline of the vehicle (to clear the flywheel and bell housing).
In the A8 for example the transfer box output is to the right of the bellhousing and necessitates a large bump in the floorpan to accommodate it making the space for the drivers left foot tighter than it is on the LHD version. Often you find an RHD version of a car is automatic only for this reason - there's just no space for a clutch pedal and footrest.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thinking on this a little more I'm sure I remember this being the whole reason the UK never got 4matic in anything but the ML/GL where as pretty much everywhere else did get it
It is why we never had the the Turbo Diesel 124's as the turbo was in the way of the steering column for RHD

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom